Sunday School

Sunday School March 15th 2020

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Atheists urge Supreme Court to protect employees from discriminatory religious organizations.

Christians in Kentucky who had ignored the Constitution now ignore Mark 6:5 and become like the hypocrites on the street corners.

The Nones are not on the run as there are more than we thought there were.

Satanists use a lemon to kill the ghoul that haunted Justice Scalia. They also held a glorious infernal ritual at the Capitol building.

White Evangelicals see Trump as fighting for their beliefs because Jesus doesn’t. He is to the Evangelicals what Putin is to the Russian Orthodox Church.

The new Church of the Flatter Day Saints.

This weeks’ Woo: Coronavirus – listen to science-based information, not right-wing idiots.  We need to know how to properly assess the risks. An interview with a homeopathy skeptic.

Climate Crisis: What society can learn from the Coronavirus impact on carbon emissions.

The problem with the way scientists study Reason.

Christopher Hitchens who thought and spoke fearlessly.

String theory vs. M-theory: A showdown to explain our universe. What if we just live inside a huge Hubble Bubble?

One important way the Supreme Court analyzes its cases.

Opposition to Galileo was scientific, not just religious.

What is the best knapsack to stash the loot in?

Long Reads: Seattle and the Coronavirus. The race to save Polesia, Europe’s secret Amazon.

This week I am reading this book: The Power Worshippers. (another review here).

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video: Can philosophy and morals be transmitted through a painting? TedTalk: Genius and Creativity. A brief history of Quantum Mechanics with Sean Carroll.

Have a great week everyone!

PopeBeanie

Thanks Reg! (I feel like I’m channeling Strega.)

As always you are most welcome Your Holiness ( as I take a virtual Coronovirus curtsy).

_Robert_
    Participant

Thanks Reg! (I feel like I’m channeling Strega.)

Yes, tanks Reg…Saw this on Yahoo News

Authorities at Jerusalem’s Western Wall, the holiest place where Jews can pray, meanwhile, asked visitors to refrain from kissing the stones of the wall.

Not just the a problem for the Jews. The Catholic Church has closed off its holy shrines around Europe to visitors, including the ones that have supposed miracle cures.

In the near future there will be stories about how prayer has cured someone of Coronavirus. It will most likely be a healthy athlete in his or her late teens or early twenties who got better anyway.  I suspect Jim Bakker, Liar for Jesus, might use it in his defense.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The problem with the way scientists study Reason.

A very interesting article.

Mercier and Sperber say that reason is a tool that evolved to solve particular problems related to communication, like evaluating information provided by others, convincing family or tribe members with arguments, and justifying one’s behavior to protect and improve one’s reputation in a complex social world.

Michael Tomasello holds that reason exists for use in cooperation, which is pretty much the same thing.  In other words, reason and communication evolved together.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.