unapologetic
@unapologetic
Active 1 year ago-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Are our attitudes toward pedos actually endangering our children? in the forum Science 3 years, 10 months ago
Autumn wrote:
I don’t think everyone attracted to minors is seeking to commit acts of sexual violence against them even if that’s what acting on those urges would result in. Maybe it’s a pointless distinction.I think this is where a typical paedophile might justify themselves on the grounds that the child is the instigator, or likes it – so as…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Are our attitudes toward pedos actually endangering our children? in the forum Science 3 years, 10 months ago
Unseen wrote:
And your friends became pedos themselves after being abused? How is it you know so many?One of them. The others were imprinted in other directions.
Apart from that, I’m not going to discuss real people on the internet, any further. I’ve already said more than I would normally say to my closest friends.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Are our attitudes toward pedos actually endangering our children? in the forum Science 3 years, 10 months ago
Unseen wrote:
“Imprinting”? Is that an actual documented “thing”?It may or may not be documented, but it happens in real life. I know of three cases.
My friend was sold to a paedophile ring by their father, so for them, it wasn’t all in the family.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Are our attitudes toward pedos actually endangering our children? in the forum Science 3 years, 10 months ago
jakelafort wrote:
Ya really believe that? In all instances?I used to know someone like that. They had an appalling history of abuse against them from all sides, and admitted a consequent attraction to children, but said they weren’t ever going to repeat the abuse on someone else.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Are our attitudes toward pedos actually endangering our children? in the forum Science 3 years, 10 months ago
Unseen wrote:
If you’re still not convinced it’s genetic and a basic sexual orientation, then I ask you how people become pedophiles? Are they normal straights or gays who one day decide to be attracted to children?They could be imprinted by abuse at a vulnerable age. That’s a double whammy of abuse. Either way, it’s not their fault. But th…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agoUnseen wrote:
Your “facts” are all contingent, not necessary.True. But they give us our illusion of objectivity.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agoUnseen wrote:
in the former instance being noncompliant makes you actually and factually wrong even if no one knows it, including you. Disobeying man-made/societal standards simply makes you liable to be punished or shunned.It’s a fine distinction. Only people who are ethical in the first place will care if they are “factually” wrong about a…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agoUnseen wrote:
Principles that unbending are to be viewed as facts, not choices.But if something is viewed as a moral fact, that doesn’t change that following it is still a choice. We behave as if child care is an absolute, but some people still violate that principle.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months ago_Robert_ wrote:
The Nazis certainly cooperated with each other. If they would have won the war and created that 1,000-year Reich they would have cared for children, cooperated, and have concluded that each individual is all the better for the effort, despite all the temporary pain and suffering.Just because the cooperation was used for unethical…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agojakelafort wrote:
Simon, you’ve given examples of broad and general. Are you in favor of an absolutist approach to morality?Absolutes – we absolutely must care for children, for example – are broad and general, but the ways they are carried out in real life are many and diverse.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agojakelafort wrote:
An adaptive approach on the other hand that is borne of broad and general ethical principles is well founded, i think. To suppose there is a clear right and wrong in all instances is religious-think.Some things never change. For example:
- the need to take care of children.
- the need to cooperate, and cooperate ideally…
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agoUnseen wrote:
What, then, is your refutation of Richard Dawkins’ argument in the video above against moral absolutism??I don’t know about refuting it – I think I agree with it. Moral absolutism is a personal and cultural thing, in that the standards we use for evaluation are both personal and cultural.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agoUnseen wrote:
We make moral choices typically because we can’t not make them. We muddle.I think, in real life, in a morally relevant situation, we are faced with a number of potentially competing values. Which one shall win out? I propose that bodily well being / compassion is the most important.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agoUnseen wrote:
Moral relativism is the view that moral judgments are true or false only relative to some particular standpoint (for instance, that of a culture or a historical period) and that no standpoint is uniquely privileged over all others.I take a descriptive approach in my studies of evolutionary ethics, such that I just seek to describe…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agoAs I understand it, moral relativism states that every moral system is equal in merit. Or perhaps that is a straw man. In all my studying of evolutionary ethics, I haven’t come across the term. People talk about moral pluralism – many moral systems, with some differences in structure, and a lot of differences in choice of values and how pu…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 10 months agoTheEncogitationer wrote:
If Moral Relativism was true, there could be no basis to praise or condemn anything outside one’s own society, nor even to praise or condemn anything within one’s own society, since the folkways and mores of society are, according to Moral Relativism, the standard of Good and Evil.I agree with that. I think the way out…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoBelle Rose wrote:
I’m pretty curious to know if there has ever been any point in human history when men have been so incredibly invested in making sure women do not abort their babies.Yes, it’s framed as protection for the unborn, yet it’s always the most patriarchal factions that are most against abortion. It’s just another way for society to…[Read more]
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoTheEncogitationer wrote:
If one holds that Nature, specially, human nature, determines what is Good and Evil, then that doesn’t exist merely in human minds and is something objectively discoverable and demonstrable.That’s true. I think the structure is objective in that sense, but the details of how it is implemented are subjective/relative/plural.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoAutumn wrote:
There isn’t a scenario where one side is imposing consequences and the other is not.That’s true.
-
Simon Paynton replied to the topic Sunday School November 13th 2022 in the forum
Sunday School 3 years, 11 months agoAutumn wrote:
You are seemingly talking about what choice is hypothetically better. I am talking about a) moral imposition, and b) the inescapability of consequences from decisions made by a parent regarding the fate a foetus.I’m talking about how it looks from the point of view of an anti-abortionist. If I believe that it’s morally acceptable…[Read more]
- Load More