America has become a failed state — Discuss

Homepage Forums Politics America has become a failed state — Discuss

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Wikipedia:

A failed state is a political body that has disintegrated to a point where basic conditions and responsibilities of a sovereign government no longer function properly (see also fragile state and state collapse). A state can also fail if the government loses its legitimacy even if it is performing its functions properly. For a stable state it is necessary for the government to enjoy both effectiveness and legitimacy. Likewise, when a nation weakens and its standard of living declines, it introduces the possibility of total governmental collapse. The Fund for Peace characterizes a failed state as having the following characteristics:

—Loss of control of its territory, or of the monopoly on the legitimate use of physical force therein
    —Erosion of legitimate authority to make collective decisions
    —Inability to provide public services
    —Inability to interact with other states as a full member of the international community

Short discussion:

A longer discussion:

I don’t have time to add much commentary at the moment but I read this article from AlJazerra recently which argues that, yes, it is becoming one and the management of the current pandemic is proving it. It could be argued that the current administration is an internal threat that Americans need protection from.  As with any condition we should look at the underlying conditions before making a diagnosis.

_Robert_
    Participant

On the other hand one may marvel how much of the country (especially along each coast) does the right thing despite the executive branch.

Unseen
    Participant

On the other hand one may marvel how much of the country (especially along each coast) does the right thing despite the executive branch.

Unfortunately, our crazy Electoral College system gives a bit more oomph to people in Midwest farm towns who are on average less educated and politically sophisticated than coastal voters.

Davis
    Participant

Failed? Not even close.

Dysfunctional? Yeah I’d say of the top 25 western democratic countries it’s the most dysfunctional.

The thing about a failed state is that you don’t have millions of people trying to move there and you have a LOT of people trying to get out of there (if it is permitted). Not like, “hey if Trump wins I’ll move to Canada) but like seriously getting the hell out and if you don’t have money living in terrible refugee camps.

And yes, the US desperately needs electoral reform but I don’t think for a second that’s at the top of any constitutional change.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Davis.

Ivy
    Participant

We just need to get this asshole out of office and get someone sane in the White House. That would be a start. People in this country are so effing stupid.

But I’ll take the check! I’m making more money on unemployment than I was working. Ain’t that some shit! We aren’t a failed state. We are a country full of a bunch of dumb motherfuckers 😂 I’m still planning to leave as soon as I can convince my ex to let me leave with our son. There are so many other places I would rather be!

jakelafort
    Participant

There are a great many dumb mutha fuckers here in the good ole USA. Smart fuckers here also. Lets give credit where it is owed. Start with religion. Churches, mutha fuckin every goddamn town like virus generators, ready-willing and able to infect the young impressionable mind and leave an indelible mind-fuck. The mind fucked are less educated, more easily led, far easier to dupe and highly susceptible to cultism. Thus, Trump.

But that man will not be reelected. I stake my reputation as a professional gambler. I would love to write the negative ads for the dems. What a wealth of material.

Unseen
    Participant

Here is another article on the failed state subject.

Unseen
    Participant

There are a great many dumb mutha fuckers here in the good ole USA.

In America, it’s possible for stupid people to prosper, and in prospering, they think that whatever they believe must be true or they wouldn’t be leading basically comfortable lives. Cue up Trump, a guy who’s rich ONLY because his daddy left him millions of dollars. All he had to do then was behave as someone with no ethics, leaving behind a trail of bankruptcies, breached contracts, unpaid bills, and ruined lives.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Unseen.

Jody Lee
    Participant

Churches, mutha fuckin every goddamn town like virus generators, ready-willing and able to infect the young impressionable mind and leave an indelible mind-fuck. 

@jake… and churches here in WV are opening tomorrow. 🤦‍♀️ When the percentage dropped below 3% ( which only occurred as the result of all long term care facilities being given an executive order from the governor to test all residents and employees) Big Jim thought it was safe enough to open the doors. 🙄

jakelafort
    Participant

Jody, my favorite WV churches are opening this month. Charles Town and Mountaineer race track. No audience though and protocols to mitigate likelihood of transmission.

Perhaps this pandemic will furnish the impetus to finally eliminate the tax status of churches. Churches are a clear and present danger. Stopping myself right here…dumb thoughts…

Unseen
    Participant

America Has Become A Failed State from The Atlantic Magazine

Another way to fail as a state is to walk away from the ideals upon which the state was founded.

@unseen, the link above is for this post (loopback) , not the Atlantic article. I think it may be the same as the one I linked above?

Unseen
    Participant

@unseen, the link above is for this post (loopback) , not the Atlantic article. I think it may be the same as the one I linked above?

You are correct, sir, but here is the link anyway.

In the meantime, Kill the virus, not the Constitution. Some people see the world very differently to others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.