Get ready for four more years (at least) of Trumplandia

Homepage Forums Politics Get ready for four more years (at least) of Trumplandia

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Do the legalities play a role when he has decided he is not leaving? March on DC Tcultists. Now what?

Depends on who follows the rules (and him losing the election), but once Biden is sworn in, Biden is the President and Trump can leave holding a cardboard box of the contents of his desk, or the Secret Service will treat him as an intruder and carry him out, or arrest him LOL. At least, that’s how it would happen in a normal universe.

Unseen
    Participant

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night — And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Read the full article here:

Between the political machinations described below, an already conservative Supreme Court, possibly to become even more conservative in coming weeks, and the naked power mad hypocrisy of the GOP who for years now have thrown principles to the wind, I wonder whether the Dems have the will, if not the wherewithal, to stop it from happening.

Whatever happens, nearly half the electorate is bound to feel they got robbed in the election.
    Of course, he might be saddled with a Democrat congress making it impossible for him to get just about anything other than budgets passed. At the same time, the Dems would lack the two-thirds majority to impeach him in the Senate by straight party-line vote.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Unseen.

PopeBeanie

From The HillHypocrisy rules on both sides over replacing Justice Ginsburg

Excerpts:

[…] McConnell did not specify when a Trump nominee would be put to a vote, leaving open the possibility that it could be done after November’s election. In fact, given the amount of vetting that goes into any nominee’s background, and the hearing process that would take place, a post-election vote might be more likely under the best of circumstances.

[…]

So a majority “yes” vote in the Senate to replace Justice Ginsburg is no certainty, no matter how qualified that person might be. All that anyone can be sure of is that Sen. McConnell would be labeled a hypocrite by many if he brings a nominee up for a vote, possibly endangering the reelection chances of some GOP senators. And, of course, that President Trump could look like a pandering politician, too, perhaps risking his own chances for reelection.

Trump might have been wiser not to have impulsively tweeted his intention to name a replacement before the election. Instead, he could have considered going on television and calmly announcing that he would not move to replace Justice Ginsburg at this time, that there’s time enough for that after the election. Doing so would have reassured his base and conservatives generally that he has their interests in mind and remains committed to a certain kind of nominee.

During Obama’s presidency: 1) I don’t remember the details, but I think Dems pushed a “nuclear option” barrage of lower court nominations that Reps claimed was unethical; 2) when re-watching an annual Correspondent’s thing (I forget the exact name… maybe I saw this on a Frontline episode) and the camera was on Trump at a particularly “roasty” moment during Obama’s stage time speaking about/at Trump, I imagined Trump was seething hatefully at that moment… perhaps even desperately thinking how he could reclaim respect by running for president?

On a related note, also from The Hill:

Trump casts doubt on Ginsburg statement, wonders if it was written by Schiff, Pelosi or Schumer

Excerpt:

President Trump cast doubt in a Monday interview on Fox News that Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s dying wish was that her replacement on the Supreme Court not be picked by Trump, saying those words might have been “written by Adam Schiff, Schumer or Pelosi.”

NPR reported shortly after the news of Ginsburg’s death her dying wish was that she not be replaced until a new president was in office.

But Trump said he wasn’t sure Ginsburg really said that or if it came from Schiff (D-Calif.), the House Intelligence Committee chairman and his chief nemesis in the impeachment fight, or from Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) or Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.).

Unseen
    Participant

Oh, he can lose the election but keep the presidency in a way that’s entirely legal under United States law.

In fact, he’s pretty much laid out his plan which is to contest the election every inch of the way, starting with challenges at the local and state level, which drag the election out until just before the day final day a decision must be reached, at which time he’ll take it to the Supreme Court. He’s counting on the fact that the court is now 2/3 conservative justices to give him the election.

Now, I have no idea whether the justices will be as compliant as he seems to assume they will be. In fact, they may resent his implication that they serve merely as an arm of his campaign. If the case goes to the court, and if he clearly lost the popular vote, even conservative justices may have to side with Biden.

We’ll see. However, we have a lot to worry about between now and then.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Unseen.

jakelafort
    Participant

I am the last of the conspiracy supporters. Not saying there are never conspiracies but mostly it is paranoid thinking.

Am thinking about the stock market. Does it seem utterly weird how it has come back to what were already bloated highs or nearly so? Pandemic…unemployment…specter of civil war or some form of chaos..businesses closed…diminished productivity…none of the aforementioned ought to be good for the stock market. And yet…

Does it mean… Could it mean that Trump will win?

Ivy
    Participant

Trump is going to win only because he cheated. Just like the first time.

Unseen
    Participant

Trump is going to win only because he cheated. Just like the first time.

Trump doesn’t risk anything on a fair exchange, and his total approach to life is transactional…how can he win the transaction and come out ahead of the other party. The notion of a fair exchange, where a fair deal is struck and both are satisfied with the outcome, is unsatisfying to him.

The Dems, strangely, haven’t really absorbed that truth, and if/when Biden loses, the loss began a while ago, because they have largely adopted a “play fair” attitude with someone who thinks only stupid people play fair.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

Yep. He can’t lose. If he loses the vote, he’ll take it to the Supreme Court. Now, it’s a court which has already handed him a major defeat and has gone on the record that not even the President is above the law, in their 7-2 decision that Trump must turn over his taxes to a New York prosecutor.

So, there is some hope there, but I wouldn’t want to stake my life on it. For one thing, the Court only hears cases it wants to hear and why would it want to get ensnarled in that situation?

So, it is what it is and we’ll have to see what happens. LOL (even though it’s not funny)

Unseen
    Participant

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Unseen.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.