Who says we're the only ones with compassion for other species?

Homepage Forums Small Talk Who says we're the only ones with compassion for other species?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  . 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Spectator

This is a really cool story from National Geographic. It’s sad that this little baby baboon lost its mother, but the story is fascinating:

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2014/04/03/baby-baboons-dramatic-encounter-with-lions-ends-with-a-heroic-twist/?&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=latimes&utm_campaign=baby-baboon-lion-mother_d

The more documentaries I watch about animal behavior, I have to believe that humans are NOT at all unique. There are many animals that show similar traits to us. We are all connected. All of life on earth really is related 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Rebel.

Unseen
    Participant

Belle, please edit your title to change “once” to “ones.” It’s driving me crazy that you haven’t noticed that!!!

Spectator

it doesn’t look like I can edit it…sorry 🙁 Maybe one of the mods can…I was typing super fast when I posted it…

SteveInCO
    Participant

Ones one of the moderators sees this, they’ll change it.

I tried a few hours ago 🙂 Will check my mod rights as I used to edit things like this on TA – (without mentioning it). Not as the grammar police but because many readers don’t primarily speak \ read English.

Strega

Ha Reg, you managed it.

No, not me – it must be a miracle!!

Strega

I’ll believe in miracles when Bovine Jesus turns my wafer into filet mignon

SteveInCO
    Participant

Even turning it into a frigging saltine would be an improvement. Dare I hope for a triscuit?

I can’t do the steak but how about a tasty ghost burger with AC/DC’s “Thunderstruck” as background music? (I am an incurable romantic) 🙂

Sorry Belle – us Mods will have to mod ourselves over the derail of your post 🙂 I will delete these soon – unless you get there first.

Spectator

@regthefronkeyfarmer – don’t delete a thing. You guys are fucking hilarious 😉

Davis
    Participant

Talking about the total opposite, a friend posted this image on FB

With the caption “All Lions are important”. It’s a parody of the meme going around that all lions should be protected per infamouse douchey hunter bribing someone to get the chance to kill an enormous mammal he had no intention of eating.

While I get the humour…and we should have a far more realistic image of mammals (that they are incredibly sensitive with emotional intelligence yet can be extremely cruel and fierce with one another and when catching prey and eating them) I beg to differ with the idea behind the poster.

Should mammals that don’t kill other mammals be protected more? Should all mammals be protected when they are in seriously low numbers? Does a mammals cruel behaviour…or how ugly they are…change in any way if or how they should be protected?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The whole ecosystem should be protected. It doesn’t depend on moral “deserving” cases. Who kills more prey, who cares? All animals need to eat. Even ugly ones.

_Robert_
    Participant

It would make more sense if we asked “Who says we have compassion for other species?”
    We have acquired complete domination of the planet in a very short time and any species that does not adapt fast to the environmental changes we make is doomed. Compassion is an attribute invented by humans, but I doubt it will play any role in large scale extinction events that will occur because of us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.