Sunday School

Sunday School 2nd January 2022

This topic contains 50 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@unseen – I’m not sure.  Here’s an article about it.

Evolution of dance and color in the birds of paradise

Simon Paynton
    Participant

the issue whether we can be socialized into a compassionate mindset.

Apparently in the Quran, it says that when stoning someone to death, we should suppress our compassion.

People are born with differing levels of other-regarding empathic concern.  Some are high in it, some selfish people are low in it.  One way to get someone to be more compassionate is to remind them of their own natural humanity and compassion.  Religion has traditionally been another way.  If members of a group are more prosocial, the group does better.

Unseen
    Participant

@unseen – I’m not sure. Here’s an article about it. Evolution of dance and color in the birds of paradise

From your article, a summary:

Of course, a female bird of paradise evaluating a male’s display is probably not scoring his choreography and color. Instead, an animal must perceive the display in its entirety, which encompasses auditory and tactile signals as well as visual. And within the visual display itself, gesture is even used to show off specific color ornaments. In this way, modular evolution allows the integrated display’s complexity to be multiplicative rather than additive: its attractiveness to the receiver is more than the sum of its modular parts.  However, it is only by examining these parts individually that we can understand what drives their independent evolution.

Okay, but how does evolution explain how one species’ female responds to one sort of display while ignoring others?

In the end, this study doesn’t really explain anything, but instead moves the mystery back a step.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

how does evolution explain how one species’ female responds to one sort of display while ignoring others?

I don’t know the reason, but maybe it’s not entirely evolutionary.  Maybe there’s some arbitrary circumstantial reason, that combines with evolution in the overall process.

Unseen
    Participant

how does evolution explain how one species’ female responds to one sort of display while ignoring others?

I don’t know the reason, but maybe it’s not entirely evolutionary. Maybe there’s some arbitrary circumstantial reason, that combines with evolution in the overall process.

I certainly believe that evolution and natural selection tell much of the story and perhaps most, but I do believe that something else is often at work and the mystery of the birds of paradise lays it about as bare as it can be laid.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Male bower birds decorate their nests with blue things.

Bowerbirds and Blue Things

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.