Sunday School

Sunday School February 10th 2019

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

All the president’s yes-men in telepathic communication with the Creator of the Universe before they have even had their breakfast.

Of course not all Catholic priests are pedophiles. Many of them keep nuns as sex slaves.

A school in England has cancelled a children’s play about Evolution because of objections from idiots while the Atheists of Florida think that students should learn about religion. But never Bible classes in school.  Teach, don’t preach. Then there might be fewer cases of religious trauma. As ever, we will have to endure listening to Christians ranting about how we are persecuting them.

In England a women is convicted for mutilating her three year old daughter.

In Catholic Poland, a gay atheist starts a new political party. I say powodzenia to him! I wonder which satanic band will write his campaign trail music.

A Liars for Jesus publishing company is found guilty of significant fraud and destroying evidence.

The politicization of religion and its potentially deadly consequences.

This weeks’ Woo:  It takes a measles outbreak for anti-vaxxers to see sense.

Climate Change: Can we all agree that the Earth is warming?

On Secularism and the nature of religion in India.

Is there any correlation with our political beliefs and our sense of disgust?

You don’t have a right to believe whatever you want to because you should be open to new ideas, like Constructor theory which is a new vision of physics.

Evolution and the silver fox experiment.

Where do “new” languages come from?

Why is there so little antimatter in the Universe and what could a multiverse look like?

Punishing the crime vs. blacklisting the soul. Sorry Liam Neeson, here is some science for you.

Long Reads: The Wing, a women’s only workspace.

This week I am reading this book: The Mannequin Makers, just because I suspect it will be very good.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  Time is Relative, the twin baby experiment. The building blocks of the Universe.

Have a great week everyone!!

To use the term blind faith, is to use an adjective needlessly.

Noel
    Participant

All the president’s yes-men in telepathic communication with the Creator of the Universe before they have even had their breakfast.

The best line? ”

“Anderson’s prayer appeared to invoke elements of Christian nationalism, an ideology popular among some conservative Christians.

“At the founding of our nation, Lord, we received your blessing and your guidance through leaders who openly proclaimed your name,” she said.”

Guess they’ve never read Patrick Henry or actually understood Ben Franklin’s take and Thomas Jefferson’s take on religion. Bunch of hypocrites. Especially the Orange One! The pastor, of the church Trump claims to have attended in New York City, said recently that Trump never set foot in his church. Didn’t see him once.

It’s too bad atheist don’t organize and build a building akin to a church or synagogue and claim tax exemption to put ads on tv and radio denouncing the bullshit to the country and the world. Good thing too cause that might make people think we’re a religion. It’s like when a New York Yankees fan asks me why I root for the New York Mets. My reply is always, “Because if I stopped rooting for the Mets in order to root for the Yankees, because they’re winners, that would make me a Yankee fan.”

Noel
    Participant

Oh Yeah, Thanks for the Sunday School Reg!

Cheers Noel, the only school with no timetable and no exams.

Unseen
    Participant

A school in England has cancelled a children’s play about Evolution because of objections from idiots while the Atheists of Florida think that students should learn about religion. But never Bible classes in school. Teach, don’t preach. Then there might be fewer cases of religious trauma. As ever, we will have to endure listening to Christians ranting about how we are persecuting them.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Is there any correlation with our political beliefs and our sense of disgust?

It’s puzzling as to why conservatives have a stronger intolerance of bitter tastes, and stronger reaction to disgusting stimuli.

I think that outsiders to the group are literally seen as immoral – and therefore dirty, since the two seem to go together in our minds.  They’re seen as immoral because they are not part of our own cooperative unit, and therefore not subject to our obligations of honesty, loyalty etc., and so, potentially dishonest and disloyal to us, and so, dirty rats.

The finding that conservatives are more sensitive to threats in general is likely not caused in any way by this, but perhaps comes together with it to produce a distrust of outsiders.

An interesting observation is that the morals of conservatives lie in the domain of large groups (e.g. concerns about authority, tradition, hierarchy, closed borders) while the morality of left-wingers seems more at home in the domain of evolutionarily early, small groups (egalitarianism, open borders, grass-roots community activism, unconditional love).  Since these are two distinct domains that the human race possesses, it is not surprising that people can choose one or the other.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.