Sunday School

Sunday School July 26th 2020

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Pew Report: What is the connection between belief in God and morality?

8 facts about religion and government in the United States.

Having been first accused of the sexual abuse of children in the 11th century, the Vatican now tells bishops to report crimes to the police if they can be bothered to.

Christians continue to claim special privilege as they spread the virus.

Conservative Christians have always distrusted universities because they educate people.

After Jesus left Chicago he settled in Brazil.

This weeks’ Woo: Juvent. People actually buy this.

Climate Crisis: After 40 years, researchers finally see Earth’s climate destiny more clearly.

AOC and the problem of male incivility.

How did the Universe make our existence possible? We are searching high and low to answer that question.

Our brain constructs our sense of self from the people around us just as ancient habitats influenced its evolution.

A new particle, the “tetraquark” is discovered.

Long Reads: Where will all the climate refugees go? Alternatives to the Multiverse. The brave new world of chemical romance.

This week I am reading this book: Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  The Darwin Day Lecture 2018 – The evolution of human morality. Conspiracy Theories with John Oliver.

Have a great week everyone!

“Thus, though I dislike to differ with such a great man, Voltaire was simply ludicrous when he said that if god did not exist it would be necessary to invent him. The human invention of god is the problem to begin with.”

– Hitchens.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

AOC and the problem of male incivility.

I have sometimes heard female friends talk about how they have been verbally abused by random men in the street.  I witnessed it once at a cash point machine: I was gobsmacked.  It’s never happened to me, particularly.  Single women and mothers seem to get picked on by society.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Our brain constructs our sense of self from the people around us

I have to admit, I’m not much the wiser after reading about that research.

I think that our sense of self is both personal and public – what we are to ourselves, and what we are to others.  The two feed into each other.  That’s why, other people help to develop our sense of self.

Unseen
    Participant

If you don’t want to plow through the book simply because you haven’t the time. Or if you want to know what the book is all about before you read it, you should know that the book has been turned into an excellent video, available here, but also in parts on Youtube:

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/guns-germs-and-steel/

In a nutshell, the thesis is that the European white didn’t succeed so much better than the nonwhites they have lorded over due to white European superiority, but due to advantages largely summarizable in terms of geography. White people, in other words, flourished in a uniquely friendly environment compared to Africa, Asia, the pre-European Americas, and Oceana, each of which suffered from one or more disadvantages compared to Europe, based on their geography.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Unseen.

Davis
    Participant

A lot of guys have a hard time sympathizing with women who have to deal with being called a bitch or being whistled at. But then, how often does a guy have a woman come up to him and emasculate them randomly in the street for no reason? I personally don’t know a guy who could so easily brush that off. But again, out of sight out of mind. If you rarely, or never see it, its hard to believe it happens so often. And the biggest frustration my female friends, who have taken more than their face share of sexual harassment, is that people so frequently don’t take their complaints seriously, or worse don’t believe them. They think its all exaggeration or being blown out of proportion. I can tell you, guys don’t enjoy unwanted attention. I took some straight friends to a gay bar and after the second time they had their asses grabbed they didn’t find it funny at all and were extremely indignant.

When I was a student I shared a house with 5 girls for a few months. In those days students would hitchhike to and from home some weekends. On Sunday night at least one of them would have a story to tell about some experience along the way. I told them to soak a ball of tissue in hairspray or nail-polish remover before setting off. If they got into a “situation” I told them to take it from their pocket, set it alight and throw it into the back seat. It proved useful and one girl had to do so in order to escape from a car when he had driven down a side road one night, just two minutes into the journey. He had no choice but to get out to quench it and she ran back up into the village and told some guys who went back and “sorted” him out. She remembered the “plastic Jesus sitting on the dashboard”.

I don’t think I have ever known a woman who was not creeped out by some perv at some point in her life. Most just vulgar idiots but more than a minority towards the further end of the scale. I never thought any of them were making it up. I always believed them.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

White people, in other words, flourished in a uniquely friendly environment compared to Africa, Asia, the pre-European Americas, and Oceana, each of which suffered from one or more disadvantages compared to Europe, based on their geography.

If you ask me, it’s the opposite, or at least, that is a major factor.  The environment in northern Europe is difficult to live in without technology.  That is why people in Europe had to try so hard to overcome problems.  In Africa, food is fairly easy to come by, especially in pre-industrial times, before the ecosystem started dying.

Unseen
    Participant

White people, in other words, flourished in a uniquely friendly environment compared to Africa, Asia, the pre-European Americas, and Oceana, each of which suffered from one or more disadvantages compared to Europe, based on their geography.

If you ask me, it’s the opposite, or at least, that is a major factor. The environment in northern Europe is difficult to live in without technology. That is why people in Europe had to try so hard to overcome problems. In Africa, food is fairly easy to come by, especially in pre-industrial times, before the ecosystem started dying.

Yeah. Watch the video and come back and say the same thing when you’re as informed as the video made me. Hopefully, you’ll realize how stupid (well, ignorant) your opinion is.

Davis
    Participant

Europe was successful because of the enlightenment and secularization, not because of geographical quirks. I mean you’ll find remarkably similar geographical and climactic patterns in China as you do in Europe. Equally so the geography and climate of Northern Africa is very similar to that of Southern Europe and yet their development was remarkably different? Why? They had two very different religions, one of which secularized and one which didn’t.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Unseen
    Participant

Have you read or seen Guns, Germs, and Steel, Davis? I’m just giving an “in a nutshell” version. Prof. Diamond goes into much more detail, even in the video version. Of course, one important aspect of European success not encapsulated in the work’s title is a thirst for exploration, religious evangelism, and conquest for personal gain which succeeded largely due to guns and germs. As for guns, yes, technical superiority also played a role, most relevantly in terms of the development of guns. As for China, it was not nearly as expansionist and during the period during which Europe expanded and terrorized the world, China had internal problems. Additionally, China had another problem preventing Western expansion, the Himalayas.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Unseen.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.