Sunday School

Sunday School July 28th 2019

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Glen D 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

From Pew Research: What Americans know about Religion (Please take the quiz first).

I was never a big fan of Sunday Assembly for non-believers. They never existed to fill a “spiritual void” because there is no such thing. I just think it would be easier to herd cats together than to get atheists together each week. And you…put down that guitar and step away.

Bananaman speaks with a lying, thieving, blasphemous, adulterous  harlot. His friend Ken Ham is happy this year as visitor numbers are up at the Ark but only so long as the rains hold off.

Now I can have more fun asking Catholics if they can be vegetarians.  In 2018 alone more than 400,000 Germans snapped out of it and left their churches behind.

I have the words “I am Raif Badawi” tattooed in Arabic on my arm. Recently I had an image of “Mike Pence” tattooed beside it…….!

After giving anal sex a lot of thought and consideration a bishop’s imagination explodes. The Cuddly One allows another bishop to keep his frock on. To be fair some Christians try to follow Jesus. Some are even hippies for Jesus.

The Bible Belt in Texas has loosened a few notches.

This weeks Woo: Health websites are notoriously misleading. So we rated their reliability.

Climate Crisis: Alaskan glaciers melting 100 times faster than previously thought.

When religion meets secularism in urban planning.

I can’t imagine ever not debating with theists so I will not give up.

Maybe a spinoff of accepting the finality of death is to find meaning to life. It would be great if we could all choose a good death.

“Where knowledge is a duty, ignorance is a crime,” Thomas Paine insisted.

Can we really get a Universe from Nothing? Can we have a Universe with only us in it?

Seven wonders of the Biotech world.

Why you need to touch your keys to believe they’re in your bag.

Be mindful when someone mentions mindfulness.

We pause to remember: Paul Krassner.

Long Read: Was the automotive era a terrible mistake?

This week I am reading this book: Map of Knowledge.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video: Ted Talk – A vision for society built upon altruism and cooperation. How to cut through Confirmation Bias and become a better poker player! A view of Earth in A Year along the Geostationary Orbit. A Bible reading for teenagers because it’s like OMG just soooo random.

Have a great week everyone!!

Ricky Gervais recounted a joke to Jerry Seinfeld:

A Holocaust survivor dies and goes to Heaven. Upon meeting god, the
    survivor tells god a Holocaust joke. Afterwards god says “That’s not
    funny.” The survivor responds, “Well, I guess you had to be there…”

Got 14/15 in  the quiz. Talked myself out of the right answer on one of them.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

_Robert_
    Participant

Yeah me too, I got the Sabbath one wrong. The average is 7.5 out of 15. Jesus!

Imagine a man tells me he is a serious American Football fan. He gets season tickets for the whole family and they never miss a game. They meet all their like-minded friends at tailgate parties and have a great time. They cannot imagine life with it.

They strike up a conversation with me in a bar after the game. I tell them that I am unfamiliar with their game and its rules because I follow a game called Rugby. I ask them if the ball used in their game has a similar oval shape to the one used in my game. No, the ball used in American football is round, like a soccer ball, they reply. Oh, I thought it was oval shaped or technically a “prolate spheroid”??

No, no, it is definitely completely round. You are mistaken but that is OK as you are not a follower of our game. And what the heck is a “propilate spermoid” anyway? Never heard the term.

I leave their company thinking that they are not real fans because they don’t even get the basic concept of their game.

Imagine a man tells you he is a Catholic. He is a life-long supporter of the Jesus team, as are his entire family. It is an integral part of their daily lives, he informs me. They meet other Catholics every week and can’t imagine life without doing so.

They strike up this conversation with me one Sunday in the park and they ask me if I am Catholic. No, I am not very familiar with the rules but I have a few questions if you could answer them for me? Of course, it is our duty to do so. OK, great thanks as I am confused about the communion ritual. Do you consider it to actually become the body of Jesus during Mass or is the bread just symbolic of the death and resurrection of you God?

Firstly, He is not just our God but He is your God too. He leaves nobody out as we are all His children. We see the consecrated bread as symbolic of the death and resurrection of Jesus. He died for all us sinners.

But I thought the Catholic Church taught the doctrine of Transubstantiation? The bread becomes the actual body and blood of the risen Jesus?

No, no, it is definitely symbolic. You are mistaken but that is OK, We forgive you. We will pray that you come to know Jesus. And where did you hear about that transubstandardization thingy. We never heard of it.

_Robert_
    Participant

I bet they were thinking all religions have symbols….we are gonna do one better. Blessed wine is not just a symbol of blood. It is blood. Dam, we are good!

Glen D
    Participant

@Reg

A recovering catholic for 50 years, I can assure you the scenario you described is very feasible.

A conversation I had with a Catlic mate in the army has stuck in my mind for, yup, 50 years. He was adamant that Catholicism teaches reincarnation.   He would brook no difference.

The concept of transubsthingy is not understood by large numbers of Catlics, assuming they think about it at all, but it is crucial to Catlic theology.IE Martin Luther used his rejection of the catholic teaching to kick off the reformation. He argued that Christ is present in essence  at communion,  but not physically.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Glen D.

Davis
    Participant

I scored 15 out of 15 though on one question I waffled between two options and I went with my gut rather than knowledge. Is anyone in the least surprised that atheists score notably higher than christians?

Pew conducted a similar survey back in 2010:

More than four-in-ten Catholics in the United States (45%) do not know that their church teaches that the bread and wine used in Communion do not merely symbolize but actually become the body and blood of Christ. About half of Protestants (53%) cannot correctly identify Martin Luther as the person whose writings and actions inspired the Protestant Reformation, which made their religion a separate branch of Christianity. Roughly four-in-ten Jews (43%) do not recognize that Maimonides, one of the most venerated rabbis in history, was Jewish.

I call these people “God’s Frauds”, just as I call many of those who claim to be Christian but are only in it for the money or the power to be “Liars for Jesus”.

The rest of them just pretend to know things they cannot possibly know. I seldom meet a Christian who has any idea about the composition of the Bible but has no problem telling me it is their guidebook to how they live their lives.

Note: The “any idea” link above is well worth a read (or a bookmark).

Faux News

Glen D
    Participant

I took the quiz; 14/15. I forgot that  for Jews, the Sabbath STARTS at sunset Friday, and ends sunset Saturday..

Not surprised at the figures you quote. From study, observation ,and living in a Muslim country, I discovered decades ago the people overall tend not to be  especially devout. It is  true that Muslim  and  Christian extremists represent a tiny minority of the faith with which they identify. At the same time, they often show  severely cherry picked beliefs about their faith. These chosen beliefs justify their extreme actions. It has been ever thus with war.

It is my observation that the majority of human beings just want a quiet,  safe  life where they can raise their children in peace.  Only a fool wants war, because at the end, there are usually far more dead innocents than fighters.

–Wars are fomented by cynical old men. They con  gormless young men into going to a foreign country and killing their gormless young men.

In the last 100 years, the average age of dead soldiers has been 19.  Young men simply do not consider the possibility that they will actually die.

Not at all surprised that atheists score higher than Christians. For most atheist I know, our position has been arrived at only after a great deal of reasoned thought .It is not simply an accident of birth.

We are the minority ,not believers. It is my perception that most people never seriously question the beliefs they grew up with, religious or otherwise.

“Most people would rather die than think. Most people do” (Bertrand Russell)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Glen D.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Glen D.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.