Sunday School

Sunday School July 31st 2022

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Good to hear some Christians decry some of the rhetoric from Christian Nationals. Better if we could hear from some more of them and a little more loudly too. Republicans are starting to panic over the backlash. American Atheists will continue to do their part.

Have churches and governments created conditions allowing clergy to continue their sexual abuse of children?

Portugal is still fumbling about over Catholic crimes against humanity while churches in Newfoundland start selling up to pay for their crimes.

When a lawyer’s case is weak, they argue precedent. It must be very weak to have to argue with bumper-sticker slogans.

What the Bible actually says about abortion may surprise you.

I found this article vomit inducing. It is a fawning tribute to Jord*n Pet**son by a Christian woman. It’s so pathetic I had to link it. 😊

World of Woo: The Golden Ratio test of beauty is bogus.

Environment: Earth Overshoot Day was last week but Is the climate crisis a population problem or a poverty problem?

­These are the 4 types of atheism. Yeah, sure.

CRISPR cure for high cholesterol enters first human trial.

How far did Hunter-Gatherers travel?

Some more pictures from the JWST with its evidence for things unseen.

Long Reads: An ‘imposter Christianity’ is threatening American democracy. The super-clocks that define what time it is. Stop feeding your brain junk food.

Sunday Book Club:  The Sweet Spot: The Pleasures of Suffering and the Search for Meaning.

Podcast: The Virtues of Cold Blood with Sam Harris and Paul Bloom (see also Book review above).

Some photographs taken last week.  Some Dutch Shadows. Some barriers.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  This debate is between a creationist Liar for Jesus and a Professor. The evidence given is very good. You could skip the Kent Hovind parts but it might be entertaining. Population Collapse – Rant Time will Bill Maher. Earthrise.

Have a great week everyone!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I found this article vomit inducing. It is a fawning tribute to Jord*n Pet**son by a Christian woman. It’s so pathetic I had to link it. 😊

The few people I know who idolise JP are all women.  For the record, I don’t idolise him, because I can’t entirely work out what he’s talking about.  But I appreciate his constructive message to young men to “sort themselves out”.

Also, I don’t think this female author idolises him.  She advises caution and critical thinking when evaluating his work.

_Robert_
    Participant

I added subtitles to one para of that JP suck-up.

As a Christian woman (and an ideolog unable to think for themself), I respect and admire my male counterparts for their innately different (gender stereotyped) strengths and abilities. We are equal (except when god says not); we work jointly (with me being subservient) for the expansion (forceful indoctrination) of God’s Kingdom, complementing each other’s differences (especially male dominance).

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I added subtitles to one para of that JP suck-up.

Yes, it does stick in the throat a bit.  But every side has some kind of valid point.

Her point of view is patriarchal.  On the one hand, I think women could do with male protection sometimes.  On the other hand, this tends to come with all kinds of male entitlement.  It’s possible to separate the two out.

I prefer women who are bored of talking about men.

Autumn
    Participant

Coffee Break Video:  This debate is between a creationist Liar for Jesus and a Professor. The evidence given is very good. You could skip the Kent Hovind parts but it might be entertaining.

I was skimming and landed very quickly on Hovind calling Professor Dave a child abuser because ‘ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny’ is not true, strictly speaking (ignoring the fact that Professor Dave almost certainly does not teach Haekel’s recapitulation theory as true).

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Yes, we get to occasionally hear that “ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny” statement used by Creationists. I once asked them to explained it to me during a debate and their grasp of some basic scientific concepts was so poor that it was not even amusing. I would usually counter by introducing some of Gould’s ideas. especially the 3rd paragraph here.

But generally I keep in mind the words of “Heather S” from TA (and a fellow Canadian) about no longer explaining Science to theists and no longer argue it with them. I mean the best result you can get from arguing with an idiot is being able to claim that you just won an argument with an idiot.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer. Reason: Fixed link to Gould article, end first paragrapgh

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

The Nebula video on Russia’s oil dilemma was quite fascinating and informative! It confirms Werner Keller’s thesis in his classic East Minus West Equals Zero: Russia’s Debt to the Western World 862-1962.

Between this video and their previous videos on Russia’s war with Ukraine, I’m going to have to add Nebula to my existing Curiosity Stream membership! (I wonder if the price is still good with the existing Curiousity membership. A curious question indeed. 😁)

One thing they could cover more is the UK and Finland’s North Sea drilling and Israel’s discovery of a pool of crude under them that’s bigger than Saudi Arabia’s. These combined sources would be a great supplier to Europe and an enormous check upon Putin’s aspirations for a Revanchist Eurasian Empire. He is also up against Red China’s imports from OPEC, so it’ll be a sight to see how this pans out.

The Makarov in Putin’s pocket awaits his basal ganglia lizard brain. 😌

I agree Enco, it is an informative video. I should have reviewed it rather than just posting it. On a separate point I read that Finland are considering curtailing the number of Russian “day trippers” crossing their border to stock up on items that are now in short supply in Russia due to the various embargoes. I will dig a little more into that.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

“ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny”

What use is this theory to Creationists?  Michael Tomasello used to refer to it in reference to children’s moral development vs. the evolution of morality, but he seems to have stopped using it.  It always struck me as magical thinking.

I agree that you can’t argue with stupid.  Arguing with a Creationist is like playing chess with a pigeon (which I believe Heather S. also said).

@simon – What use is this theory to Creationists?

It is very unlikely that creationists would understand the term. It is too esoteric to be known by the vast majority of people unless they have already discovered it while studying higher level biology at some point. That would mean creationists would have to have read another book. But it makes the Liar for Jesus sound intelligent and therefore they will give him more money.

My other rule for not debating idiots is to make sure that they are not doing the same thing 🙂

Simon Paynton
    Participant

My other rule for not debating idiots is to make sure that they are not doing the same thing 🙂

Good point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.