The Atheist Agora

Only asking questions.

This topic contains 45 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

I signed up to OpenAI today. I asked it some random questions. All answers were returned within 5 seconds. The implication of this are enormous. Below are my questions and the AI’s answers.

Will humans be better off without religion?

It is impossible to say whether humans will be better off without religion as opinions on the matter vary greatly. Some argue that religion provides a sense of community, purpose, and moral guidance, while others believe that it can cause conflict and hinder scientific progress. Ultimately, the impact of religion on individuals and society will depend on how it is practiced and perceived.

Atheism is a more mature position than theism?

Atheism and theism are not necessarily linked to maturity. They are simply different beliefs about the existence of a deity or deities. Some people may view atheism as a more mature position because it is based on a lack of belief in a deity, rather than a belief in one. However, this is a matter of personal opinion and there is no objective way to determine which position is “more mature.”

Why is it impossible to have infinite information about an object?

It is impossible to have infinite information about an object because there are physical limitations on the amount of information that can be gathered and processed. For example, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously measure the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle. Additionally, the amount of information that can be stored in a given physical space is limited by the laws of thermodynamics. Finally, even if it were possible to gather an infinite amount of information about an object, it would be impossible for a human or any other finite being to process and understand that much information.

If we can only gain maximum information about an object and bearing in mind Planck’s constant, it must still be possible to learn something unexpected about it. Therefore, the future is not determined by the past and we live in a probabilistic universe. Do you agree?

It’s certainly true that we can only gain a certain amount of information about an object, even when taking into account Planck’s constant. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the future is not determined by the past or that we live in a probabilistic universe. While it’s true that the behavior of particles on a small scale can be described probabilistically, on a larger scale the behavior of objects is often determined by the laws of physics. Additionally, the idea that the future is not determined by the past goes against our experience of the world, where cause and effect are generally seen to be linked. However, it’s worth noting that our understanding of the universe is always evolving, and it’s possible that future discoveries could change our understanding of these concepts.

Write a poem about Christopher Hitchens. (the output below was returned within 2 seconds).

Christopher Hitchens, oh so bright

With wit and wisdom, a formidable sight

He challenged beliefs and stood his ground

With courage and conviction, never backing down

His words were sharp, his mind was keen

He spoke his truth, with passion and with spleen

He tackled tough topics, with grace and style

A master of debate, with a quick and clever smile

But even he could not escape the fate

Of mortality, and a date with Death’s own gate

But his legacy lives on, in all he wrote

A true master of the pen, and a brilliant thought-provoking quote.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

omg, it’s all over

Here is a good article on OpenAI.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Sooo…A highly sophisticated electronic, cybernetic Magic 8 Ball? 🎱 😁

_Robert_
    Participant

omg, it’s all over

LOL

Belle Rose
    Participant

Truly scary, and hilarious at the same time. The bot is officially smarter than the average human πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ yikes!!!!!

We must try to confuse it.

Try, β€œHow was the universe created πŸ˜‚ β€œ

Then ask β€œHow did the universe evolve,”

Did it say the same thing? πŸ˜‚

@Belle Rose – The questions are not asking the same thing. But I will ask so please allow me a minute to do so:-)

How was the universe created?

There are many different theories about how the universe was created, and the truth is that we don’t yet know for certain. Some scientists believe that the universe was created in a massive explosion called the Big Bang, while others believe that the universe has always existed and will continue to exist forever. Still, other theories suggest that the universe was created by a god or other higher power. Ultimately, the exact details of how the universe came to be are not yet known, and it is a topic of ongoing scientific investigation.

How did the universe evolve?

The universe as we know it is thought to have begun with the Big Bang, a massive explosion that marked the beginning of space, time, and all the matter and energy that exists. This explosion set the universe on its path of expansion and cooling, leading to the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. Over time, these early structures have evolved and changed, giving rise to the rich and varied universe we see today.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The thing’s a genius.Β  I wonder how long it will be before it hijacks people’s minds, like Donald Trump and Q’anon?

Belle Rose
    Participant

@Reg

@Belle Rose – The questions are not asking the same thing. But I will ask so please allow me a minute to do so:-)

I know that was the point, lol I wanted to try to break the thing. I’m disappointed it didn’t work πŸ˜‚

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@regthefronkeyfarmer, could you please ask it what is the foundation of morality?Β  I wager it will mention human flourishing and religion, and say that the question isn’t settled.Β  I think it will also mention the classical ethical theories like utilitarianism and deontology (what is their foundation?).

I will tomorrow as I am travelling for the next 12 hours.

jakelafort
    Participant

I don’t see much in the way of analysis.

My questions C vu play:

Preface questions as follows: I want to know your opinion. Please refrain from giving a synopsis, consensus or either side of an issue. I want your opinion.

1. What is the probability of the existence of the Christian God or any god?
    2. Is the universe intelligible?
    3. Will humans or A.I. ever gain an understanding of ultimate reality?
    4. Is reality a human construct or is it fair to posit objective reality?
    5. What is the probability that human civilization will be extant in 250
    years?
    6. What is the probability that humans will colonize another planet?
    7. What is the probability humans make contact with alien civilizations?
    8. How dangerous for humans would it be to make contact?
    9. Is the universe conscious?
    10. Is consciousness a fundamental characteristic of all life?

Unseen
    Participant

@Reg

I’m curious too know the AI’s response to a question being asked a lot nowadays:

What is a woman?

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

There is this timeless, unanswered, yet pressing query 😁:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.