How Is Christianity NOT Polytheism?

Homepage Forums Theism How Is Christianity NOT Polytheism?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tom sarbeck 1 day, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

I think the subject line says it all. Jesus frequently refers to his father and the Holy Spirit as though they are completely distinct beings.

How is mainstream Christianity not a polytheism? Outside the mainstream, there are purportedly nontrinitarian sects like the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Mormons.  Go here for more info on this. You’ll probably find their logic dubious, but they claim to deny the trinitarian notion.

Beth
    Participant

Even when I was a Christian I didn’t really understand the trinity. They’re all God but they’re also three separate things? Doesn’t make sense, and I doubt most Christians could explain it in a way that does make sense.

Clearsky
    Participant

Good point,

It was explained to me in quite comprehensive way.

I still could not understand it,

It could just be me, I guess as I don’t have a good grasp of theology.

Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Why would a monotheistic god say that? I mean did “He” know of other gods? Just two verse later He states that he is “a jealous God”. Who is He jealous of? Why, if He is the only god, would He be jealous of anything that He created?

I can only conclude that He must know of other gods and that this Christian one suffers from an inferiority complex.

Could a passing Christian apologist tell me where I am wrong please.

tom sarbeck
    Participant

Reg, the other gods (of which there were to be none) were the pagan gods that other people in the region were still worshipping. Baal was one of them.

Beth, about the trinity. It’s to test your gullibility. If you don’t question the trinity story, you’re gullible enoughn to join the religion.

A man I knew in SF, call him Ed, told me his daughter was about to marry a Catholic and had to take a class to learn what would be required of her. Ed went with her and asked so many questions that the priest told him he would never be a Catholic. I don’t know if his daughter went through with it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.