I never existed, and neither did you, or the entire cosmos, for that matter

Homepage Forums Small Talk I never existed, and neither did you, or the entire cosmos, for that matter

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 4 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Due to cosmic inflation, in 5 billion years, it’s estimated, the universe will come to an end, and when that happens, time will come to an end as will any evidence I, you, or that any “thing” (as we think of things) ever existed. The acts and accomplishments of the world’s Einsteins, Hitlers, Newtons, Ghandis, Stalins, and Shakespeares will effectively have never existed because there will no longer be any tracks or even a vapor trail they might have left behind. There will be a complete and total equivalence, then, between existence and never having existed.

Oh, 5 billion years. I first read it as 5 million years. Phew 🙂

I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
    And on the pedestal, these words appear:
    My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
    Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Noel
    Participant

First time I read this, the 5 or 6 billion years, was in the book “Why nothing can travel faster than the speed of light “. Filled me with such sadness. Since all energy in the cosmos would be consumed and everything blinks out there is going to be darkness and nothing. Which makes sense. Damn I love science. Almost as much as those zany evangelicals love them some Jesus.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The ephemerality and fleetingness of life is kind of sad, I agree.  That’s what Buddhism talks about in the “suffering of impermanence” (I think).  This pushes us into the atheist position – “seize the moment”, “enjoy the moment”.

Strega

5 Billion years.  Isn’t it funny that we look to measure the lifetime of the universe, based on the number of times an insignificant star in an outer spiral arm has been circumnavigated by the third of eight planets in its orbit?

Reg, I loved Ozymandias from the first time I read it.

Noel
    Participant

LoL Strega: I’m so screwed up now! Trying to wrap my noggin around time as a measure of, well, time. If our rotation slows down it throws that whole equation off. Would it take a longer amount of time for the universe to fizzle out? If our rotation sped up and a day was now 22 hours would it change anything?

I’ve always felt that we were insignificant in the whole scheme of things. I feel that way about of lot of things. I feel that way about my country; like when someone say’s, “We’re the greatest!”, I’m like “Really?”. Cause London and Tokyo don’t have better mass transit than we do? (They do).

Unseen
    Participant

I’ve always felt that we were insignificant in the whole scheme of things.

But there is no “whole scheme of things” that can overcome the fact that, in a sense, it will have never existed.

PopeBeanie

But there is no “whole scheme of things” that can overcome the fact that, in a sense, it will have never existed.

To be fair, we’re presuming we know for a fact that some version of our history will not be somehow preserved elsewhere, or that no intelligent agent will exist to care about it. Otherwise, when genuinely trying to scientifically describe “reality” in terms that are potentially-eternally, empirically accurate, should we not continue to assume that our personal experience and opinions are less relevant and meaningful than reality itself?

I realize of course that that word “meaningful” invokes human invention and interpretation, but if we require perfection in language, we might as well debate the whole proposition, including absolute and perfect definitions of words like never, exist, or “entire cosmos“. Point is, what happens in the universe (from any outsider’s perspective who could see into this universe) will have really “happened”, whether we personally disappear, or not.

It’s all semantics.

Dennis
    Participant

There’s a certain pathos to your statement.

Unseen
    Participant

It’s all semantics.

Which ultimately will be irrelevant, because it will have never existed as well.

Yes, all information will eventually be lost….or will it?

I think it will as there will no longer be any mass\energy left…..except maybe a Jehovah Wittiness arguing about the second law 🙂

Davis
    Participant

Perhaps one’s own existence is lost in ontological arguments. Perhaps I don’t exist as I think I do, or that somehow I’m an individual entity that had its own existence. Perhaps we are part of a larger existence or perhaps someones dream or simulation or a glich or any other explanation. While it’s true that with the end of the universe history of what happened in the universe will be gone. But within that universe you can argue that we existed in some way even if nobody can confirm that. And from outside of the universe (or non-existence if things are done once our universe is done) it’s still the case that some phenomena existed. Slightly similar to Descartes’s “I think therefore I am”. While we cannot be sure I am who I think I am or the universe is as we think the universe is, you can be totally sure that some phenomena is going on. How could there be no phenomena happening if we are here right now talking about the universe? It may not be that we are actually arguing about it the way we think but something is happening. And while that phenomena may disappear, I don’t see how that fatally erases that some phenomena happened even if record keeping as we know it disappears.

Unseen
    Participant

I’m comforted concerning my death that not only am I going to go “the way of all flesh,” but the way of everything, it turns out. I not only won’t be getting a worse deal than some other person but I won’t be getting a better deal than the entire universe itself.

Noel
    Participant

As we hurtle millions of miles an hour on an insignificant planet, on a galaxy that is located in, what most would say, is the arm pit of the universe.

I would have loved to travel near the speed of light visiting long lost relatives on alpha Centauri.

i wonder if on that last day, when the oceans evaporate and man is down to several hundred individuals, will there be a band playing like on the Titanic.

_Robert_
    Participant

will there be a band playing like on the Titanic.

The last few humans will be a tattered looking lot for sure….I feel sorry for them already 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.