#MeToo Must Start Making Distinctions

Homepage Forums Small Talk #MeToo Must Start Making Distinctions

This topic contains 106 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)
  • Author

Asianne
    Participant

The metoo movement is horrible and it needs to stop and it’s making it actually WORSE for women…and men….and children….it’s very bad for us all.

jakelafort
    Participant

Asianne, in what way is it making it worse?

Asianne
    Participant

All these rich bitches complaining is making it more dangerous for those of us who have serious shit happening and now we really have nowhere to turn

Asianne
    Participant

And the men that might have stopped it before can’t now.

And our kids are seeing how men treat women and get away with it anyway.

Asianne
    Participant

The good men are silenced too

jakelafort
    Participant

I think it is a good movement. Generally it is beneficial to expose various forms of abuse and discrimination.  In Germany where immigrants and refugees have experienced racism there is a movement known as Me Too.  The victims of racism in Germany share their experiences.

If there had been a movement to expose the doings of priests, (lets say ya cant trust those mutha fuckers of the cloth) it might have saved tens of thousands of victims and furthered the erosion of influence enjoyed by the mutha fuckers of the cloth.

Creating a climate of awareness is on balance a beneficial development. History leaves no mystery as to consequences of concealment. No good comes of it. Journalists go missing. Protesters go missing. Power corrupts. So while i acknowledge that there are instances in which Me Too is a negative on balance it is a boon.

jakelafort
    Participant

Correction as to Me Too…it is Me Two in Germany

Unseen
    Participant

Asianne, in what way is it making it worse?

I can answer that, in a way. I’m reading that, more and more, especially in small businesses which are largely exempt from fairness in hiring laws (unless the dumbasses are too explicit or obvious about it), that they are less likely to hire women now for fear of #MeToo tr0ubles down the pike.

Seems women can’t win for losing.

Asianne
    Participant

It would be a good thing if it was being done correctly but it’s not. It’s making things worse not better

Davis
    Participant

Women have been ignored, not believed or punished for being the victim of abuse, in numbers most of us wouldn’t possibly believe were true if it weren’t for witnesses and the sheer number of people who can attest to a persons sexual sleaziness and assault. A movement has started to stop avoiding the police who often ignore you, fear not the crowd of people who insult you for calling out your abuser and deal with the trial where the defence will make you relive your trauma while badgering you for an hour about how much you drank and what you were wearing. Amazingly, most men I know are supportive of the metoo movement and horrified by the scale of the revelations applaud women who haven’t been depleted of strength, energy and patience to take their abuser to the law.

But then of course…there is a minority of men whose first though is about “false accusations”. It’s beyond nauseating to hear or read this. When it comes to false accusations of libel, physical assault, stealing, murder or fraud…all things that can destroy your life…you never seem to hear people’s first reaction being “hey…but what about false accusations”. Of course the situation is quite different because in those other cases more people are prone to calling out accusations because they’re likely to be taken seriously and not re-victimised. But when some men feel that people factually, rationally and reasonably pointing out that rape levels are high and it should stop…is an actual assault on every male in the world…and the best response they can give is to either deny the scale, trivialise the victims experience or whine that some accusations are false.

Yes…a false accusation destroys someone’s lives, as it does with false domestic abuse allegations, kidnapping, murder, libel or fraud. And yes, measures should be taken to investigate the claims well and prosecute those who maliciously made a false claim. But the fact that some people’s most important contribution to the movement debate is that a minority of false accused must be protected says a lot about how seriously they take sexual abuse and how mostly women are treated.

Once again. yes, more should be done to protect falsely accused, in EVERY kind of criminal accusation that can ruin someone’s lives. However, just with nearly EVERY kind of criminal accusation, the default position is to take the accusation seriously and that it may be true, for a number of important reasons.

And yes, some men will blow false accusations out of proportion and penalise women by not hiring them or using their professional services. That also tells a lot about how they allow their irrational feeling of being attacked…to irrationally penalise women.

Davis
    Participant

All these rich bitches complaining is making it more dangerous for those of us who have serious shit happening and now we really have nowhere to turn

Are you trying to say that the experience of rich women who were sexually assaulted is more trivial than poor women who were sexually assaulted? Are you proposing that rich women who were sexually assaulted just keep their mouths shut?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Asianne, can you explain why?  I don’t understand, and the rest of us poor men don’t either.

Asianne
    Participant

They’re complaining about trivial things in comparison to what other women are facing and it’s making it more dangerous.

Asianne
    Participant

Even if you “just” look at the experience of Christine Blasey Ford, she is not believed by many. Can you imagine? She took a goddam lie detector test . She was telling the truth completely. And yet people STILL said “Oh she must be mistaken,” – No.

So what’s going to happen when a girl being raped by a cop tries to get help? You think it’s going to be any easier now? If it was almost impossible before it’s even moreso now. No one cares or believes women.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Asianne.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@asianne, what do you think would be the right way to go?

I think it was obvious to everyone that the judge was guilty, by the way, but nobody’s allowed to say it.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.