Nobody saw this coming

Homepage Forums Small Talk Nobody saw this coming

This topic contains 296 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 297 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

The Warning celebrated their 10th anniversary as a band recently. Here is a song with a professionally-done video to go with it done when they were 9, 12, and 14. Just children, in other words. And yet, many bands composed of adults fail to compare.

Unseen
    Participant

I hope I haven’t posted this viddy before. This is a make-up concert The Warning did to make up for a London concert they had to cancel due to the pandemic. It’s for the loyal fans who hung on to their tickets. It’s almost as high in quality as the fabulously well-recorded Teatro Metropolitan concert and it even has certain advantages over that one. For one thing, it’s a very small venue, like a small nightclub. There’s no room for their backdrop or light show, it’s just them on a stage in a very intimate concert, almost as if they were hired to play for a wedding reception. No atmospheric fake smoke. No moody lighting. You can see them very clearly and some of the camera angles are better than any in the Teatro Metropolitan concert. I’ve been playing this concert at times like when I’m making dinner, folding laundry, etc.

The fact they even did it shows how considerate and loyal they are to their fans. I’m sure there was very little money in this concert for them. They did it to fulfill a debt.

Enjoy!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

While we’re waiting for new content from the band itself, there’s a wealth of content out there other than their live concert and professionally-produced videos. Here’s a fan celebrating Dany:

Unseen
    Participant

Classical violinist and pro bassist runs a Youtube channel devoted exclusively to The Warning. He claims Ale’s bass playing compares favorably with the best pro/studio musicians. PLUS, she wrote this song when she was very young (9?). It was the first cut on their EP, Escape The Mind.

Does Ale have perfect pitch and unerring rhythm. And is she a foot taller than Dany?

PopeBeanie

I’ve liked Don Music for a while, he’s above others in the experience and reporting department. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll watch these later.

PopeBeanie

NEWS FLASH!! Person A DESTROYS Person B. The REAL TRUTH about Blah Blah. These days, those are headlines I skip over. But when it comes to tons of new reactions to The Warning still coming out from people who haven’t heard of them, Pope Beanie finds new favorites. In this case, four guys happened to pick a great song/official video for their first taste of TW. They just posted this reaction today.

(You can hit right arrow to skip through these guys’ intro if you want to. They introduce TW at about 1:20.)

(The “Going Clear” reference made after 10:36 was Scientology jargon, which made me laugh.)

Unseen
    Participant

On the so-called “family band” level, The Warning has competition. Five members of the same family with something like a 10-year age range. It’s hard to compare them with The Warning because from the opening it’s clear they have undertaken a different project. They are totally goth, which celebrates death and decadence. The Warning’s members are far more positive, fun-loving, clean living, and purely rock-n-roll in their approach. Furthermore, Liliac’s concert playlist  has a lot of covers NOW. By contrast, the Warning did a fair number of covers in the beginning (which is something a lot of musicians band do to start out). Nowadays, the only cover they do in their shows is Enter Sandman, and how could they not?

The lead guitarist is a shredder, it seems, whereas Dany’s guitar breaks are not extemporaneous solos. They are almost exactly, note for note, the same from show to show. Maybe she can shred with the best, but The Warning is, if anything a band that rehearses everything to death. When you go to a show, the songs you’ll hear will not very a whit from the song you heard in the video or on their album.

I do give major props to Liliac’s singer to the extent that, considering she’s female, she does a highly-creditable copy of Ronnie James Dio’s voice. (In case you don’t know, Dio is considered by many to have been the best singer in the history of rock).

A reaction by The Charismatic Voice’s Elizabeth Zharoff:

For reference, Ronnie James Dio’s version of Holy Diver:

_Robert_
    Participant

None of that kiddie rock is “goth” music. Goth music is dark sounding dance music from bands like “The Sisters Of Mercy”, or this:

Unseen
    Participant

@ Robert

Thank you. You’re right about their music, of course. It’s fairly standard heavy metal. Their look, however, is totally Hot Topic goth, aimed at kids who feel they are outsiders.

I was living in London in 1987 and the clubs were full of Goths. This song was constantly being played.

Unseen
    Participant

Fan videos with English lyrics/Spanish translation for the two new TW songs that still don’t have any HQ live or “official” pro-made videos yet. First, “HYCAD” (as it’s being called, meaning Hell You Call A Dream):

And then, the one called Sick:

Unseen
    Participant

Recently, I watched a reaction video of a TW song by members of a band who love TW but one of them said something like “I’d like Dany to take more guitar solos.” I wrote a comment explaining something about TW and it went something like this:

I think you don’t yet understand The Warning’s project. They exist primarily to present their songs. Songwriting is their secret sauce. Few other contemporary bands come close to writing hit songs every single time. The band isn’t a showcase for their instrumental talent, which is great. However, other bands display more instrumental talent like Rush and Band Maid. However, most of us are not humming or singing Rush or Band Maid songs to ourselves in the shower.

Dany, as a matter of fact doesn’t take solos. Her guitar breaks are played as written. She is not inventing them on the fly. Compare several performances of the same song and you’ll realize her “solo” is the same every single time. This is why I call them “guitar breaks” and not “guitar solos.”

The are dedicated to giving their audiences what they want to hear: Their favorite songs exactly as they sound in thes or on the videos, note for note. They play to a click track so even the tempo never varies ever so slightly. 

During their Covid break, I’m sure they played their playlist, or major portions of it, almost daily. You can see the result in their Teatro Metropolitan concert. Perfection. 

They don’t bring a mind-blowing set with them (Muse) or rely on pyrotechnics (Rammstein). And despite the fact that all three are attractive, they tend to perform in clothes many girls would wear to the mall or out to a restaurant.  I hope to never see them come out wearing anything like what Taylor Swift wears for her shows. They are a band. A performing, working band. They come to play their songs for their fans, not to show off for other musicians.

PopeBeanie

Dany, as a matter of fact doesn’t take solos. Her guitar breaks are played as written. She is not inventing them on the fly. Compare several performances of the same song and you’ll realize her “solo” is the same every single time. This is why I call them “guitar breaks” and not “guitar solos.”

Watching always-epic performance recordings from Teatro 2022, I’m still working to spot who’s singing from time to time, because as good as their singing always is, the video editing often isn’t highlighting it, and this seems intentional. It’s often easier to see who’s not singing. Eventually one can learn to recognize by hearing, along with recognizing occasional backing tracks that seem more essential than extra. TW is only a trio producing that tight, trademark wall of sound, punctuated masterfully with tight moments of silence or reverb. I’ve never heard them miss even a 16th note of timing or pitch, except maybe when they were young teens.

One thing I love most in the “best” reactions is when you can see in their face exactly when they’re noticing the same perfections. Their “Wait, did I actually hear that right?” rewind moments reinforce those moments. (They’re more often pros themselves.) While most reactors seem not to notice or react to those moments, they’re either just tagging along for the increase in subscriptions, or they’re new to hearing and learning emotional, passionate perfection in musical performance.

It’s impossible for me to hear any performance perfections when the audio is from a fan with a phone, or an  imperfect recording from poor on-stage mics, mixings, and recordings. E.g. Whiskey a Go Go in L.A. is (or was?) notorious for poor quality recordings, although sometimes they were well done. Even worse, I can never imagine myself in the audience, just to be buried in the excitement of the crowd. (Obviously, hundreds of millions if not billions of people love it.)

Unseen
    Participant

@ PopeBeanie

The Teatro Metropolitan looks like a pure live video recording but some trickery is definitely involved. One expert reactor thought he was going crazy because after he noticed that Dany keeps spare picks on her mic stand, it drove him crazy that there were six, then a bit later five, and then six again. That’s when he realized that some video editing had been going on and cleverly made to fit the sound.

Another reactor speculated that ALL of the vocal audio, except for the patter between songs, was from studio recordings. Perhaps even the same audio as is on their albums and that, since they perform to a click track, it was fairly easy to fit the video to that audio.

That was speculation. I have no idea if it’s true, and don’t really care, either. But the vocal audio is suspiciously good.

PopeBeanie

They recorded Teatro over two sold out concerts, and spliced them into one video. They released each song singly, then a whole concert, over a year or so. Thanks, I’ll pay more attention to the picks now, and proximate edits. As you mentioned, they play so consistently, I’ll bet that splicing the best camera angles took the most work. I’m thinking that there were less shots from the stage to the audience, so those fewer shots may be more obviously spliced.

One reactor noticed Pau doubling her singing voice in an older live recording of Dust to Dust, but took it further to claim that it must have been manipulated in post by a company they signed with. This guy turned it into conspiracy-like spectacle, and all the comments were from people dragged into the “drama”. I work at taking speculation at face value, when verifiable evidence isn’t presented.

But the vocal audio is suspiciously good.

Hmm, there must be a rabbit hole for that, only a few keystrokes away.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.