Nobody saw this coming

Homepage Forums Small Talk Nobody saw this coming

This topic contains 224 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 5 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 225 total)
  • Author

PopeBeanie

I don’t want to critique much, especially when I can’t predict the direction they’re going. Quinn sounded pretty nervous to me in Evolve.

But she had much more in control for Breathe. So we know she has great singing ability. Recording-wise, it sounds like her mic was either not on, or it was way too low in the mix. I think the mic recording the piano must have picked her voice up from too far away, along with a lot of muddying wall echo. I.e. we don’t get to hear enough of her great voice in this mix. (I wouldn’t submit it as a demo.)

A reactor/reviewer Bel Development who we know (and who I like) has promoted them on his channel. YouTube’s doesn’t return perfect search results, but this is the best way to find his videos mentioning them:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bel+development+%22freeze+the+fall%22&sp=CAI%253D

Unseen
    Participant

@ PopeBeanie

I don’t think there can be any doubt at all that TW has benefited from having a sound engineer who owns a sound studio in the family.

Freeze the Fall is even more a work in progress than TW. As young as the Villarreal sisters are, the members of Freeze the Fall are younger.

Freeze the Fall does more than TW covers. I will follow your link and listen to his reactions on TW, FtF and others, based on your enthusiasm.

PopeBeanie

I like another reactor because of his knowledge of some music, and his strong opinions about it. I never liked Atlas Rise, but I can appreciate a musician or band when they have the skill and tenacity to accomplish a good performance. Atlas Rise is a tough piece! TW pulls it off wonderfully. This guy can say it better than I can.
    15 minutes.

Unseen
    Participant

@ PopeBeanie

Pau killing it on drums, as usual.

Unseen
    Participant

The Warning’s latest release, Sick is out, and it is SICK (in the best sense of the word). Any thoughts that they might be turning into a pop band can be put to rest. I would classify this very hard rock, maybe bordering on metal, but still…rock.

Now, I want to see a HQ live performance.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

Already the reactions are coming in…

Like he says, you can set aside any fears TW was abandoning hard rock for a career in pop.

For comparison, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts:

TW rocks even harder.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

An analysis by a professional musician and sound engineer who breaks it all down for The Great Unwashed (me, for example):

Unseen
    Participant

This reactor talks about how to place TW in the musical categories of rock, pop, punk, and metal. I think he actually hits on something when he stops the video to note that one passage was “such a nod to Japanese culture” because the girls are known to be big fans of J-pop and K-pop.

They have hit a kind of sweet spot with this one with an offering that miraculously combines elements of hard rock, punk, metal, and pop complete with their usual hooks and wide appeal. If these girls don’t take the world by storm in the next two or three years, I’ll not just eat my hat, I’ll eat my entire wardrobe. Instrumentally and vocally there are better bands out there, BUT nobody manufactures great songs with great hooks one after the other like TW. There’s always something you can sing or hum to yourself in the shower or while folding the laundry. This one has much more of a punk tinge to the music. Meanwhile, in their off-stage personal lilfestyles, they are a lot more like Taylor Swift than Patti Smith or Joan Jett. I just know none of them will ever be arrested for drunk and disorderly much less be found dead with a needle hanging out of their arm. They fucking travel with their parents! And yet, their music fucking rocks! I love ’em to death.

PopeBeanie

This reactor talks about how to place TW in the musical categories of rock, pop, punk, and metal. I think he actually hits on something when he stops the video to note that one passage was “such a nod to Japanese culture” because the girls are known to be big fans of J-pop and K-pop.

YES! On all of that. They’re rock first, but have a wider awareness of genres, and can appropriate it.

I saw a commenter say that Sick’s hit the top 100 on some rock rating lists, even 52 in an American list.

TBH, my first impression of the song was that it’s more pop than usual, but not as much as MORE is.

Have you seen yet how the fly’s guts spell a word?

If you saw the girls’ live Sick pre-viewing show on 1 Feb, you know they said that Sick was written at end of October 2022. I still have no idea how much Bendeth or Lava had to do with the video production, but so far it sounds like they managed to keep it TW-organic, or at least they’re not sounding unhappy at all with the video product.

So here’s twofer, TW Sick and FtF. FtF’s new song Glitch is better than I expected. The reactor speaks the right level of technical for my taste, so I get to learn a bit. He has quite an accent, so CC helped me on some of his words, although it makes mistake too.

Unseen
    Participant

I like that reactor’s take on both TW and FtF as well. In fact, I thought I had already posted it. I’m getting old.

Now, the girls looked long and hard before finding a company to sign with, and clearly they signed with the condition that they would have finali approval lon everything (they’ve stated as much, as I recall). This is why, I think, their reactors generally don’t get blocked even if they play a song all the way through without interrupting or defacing it. They know that capturing the Youtube and other social media outlets has been key to their success so far and I suspect this will continue.

Sick is not and will never be my favorite TW tune, which isn’t to say I dislike it. What it is is hard to put a finger on. It draws on hard rock, metal, and punk, but the presentation in the video is pop-oriented (black, white, and lots of pink, which emphasizes that they are and that they want to appeal to girls).

I prefer their songs with a wee bit of profundity to the lyrics. My faves so far are 23/breathe (I waver) and Martirio. Melodically, Martirio is up there with some of the best rock anthemsj of all time. That’s my take.

I said elsewhere that despite heaviness of the song and chaos of the video, they are basically the All American Girl. They are the Taylor Swifts of rock and roll. They fucking travel with their parents! I can go to sleep at night and not wonder if any of them will get arrested for drunk and disorderly or be found dead with a needle hanging out of their arm.

As for FtF, just as rock supergroups gave TW a hand up by choosing them to open for them, I can see TW using FtF to open for them. FtF’s main problem right now is that they simply don’t have enough material (original material) to draw upon to open for TW yet.

FtF’s lead singer is charismatic and the bass player and drummer are quite good.

I’ll be watching them. (BTW, you know, I hope, that the band has done covers. As a group, they do Evolve and as a solo artist, the lead singer does a solo version of Breathe.)

As for the meaning of the fly, in case you don’t know, it refers to one of their offstage videos where they are being bothered by a fly and Rudy squashes it. I didn’t notice that the fly guts spell something. I’ll watch for that next time I play it.

BTW, have you noticed that Dany doesn’t take guitar solos? She does guitar breaks, but they are exactly the same every time. Written out. When reactors say they want to hear more of Dany on guitar (meaning guitar solos), I inform them that they are confusing TW with another sort of band, where the musicians are out there showing off to other musicians. TW, by contrast, does one thing and does it like no other: They write songs, and the band is a vehicle for their songs. That’s it.

Unseen
    Participant

@ PopeBeanie

The reactor in that last video has a thick accent, as you noted. Can you place it? I’m pretty sure it’s some British regional dialect from the main island or one of the other British Isles (not Ireland, of course).

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Unseen.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The reactor in that last video has a thick accent, as you noted. Can you place it? I’m pretty sure it’s some British regional dialect from the main island or one of the other British Isles (not Ireland, of course).

The guy is from Scotland.  Beyond that, I don’t know.  @davis could tell you.

Unseen
    Participant

The guy is from Scotland.  Beyond that, I don’t know.  @davis could tell you.

Okay, but aI wonder if a long time ago he left Scotland and picked up a regional English accent, because his is not, to my ear, the  classic scottish brogue as epitomized by Sean Connery (more off screen than on) or Fat Bastard (Austin Powers movies).

Davis

Defo Scottish. Sounds like a Southern Highland’s accent but has lived in the central belt (between Glasgow and Edinburgh). Or the other way around. Could be wrong. It’s not particularly strong. By this I mean, completely understandable without strain or effort. Had a plumber in from Glasgow last year, I had to ask him to repeat himself three times and just gave up. Told him I was busy and to just ring the landlord if he had any issues.

Normally alcohol makes it easier to understand people, but this isn’t the case with Celtic nations accents. Irish, Scottish and Welsh people get much harder to understand with alcohol 🙂

@davis – Irish, Scottish and Welsh people get much harder to understand with alcohol 🙂.

I once shared a house in London with 2 guys from Sterling and a girl from Wales. The first day nobody really understood anyone else. That evening we went to the pub. Problem solved. 🙂

I was working in Paris and it transpired that I had arrived on Beaujolais Nouveau Day. The Parisians insisted I went drinking with them. My french improved dramatically….for a few hours.

Maybe the UN interpreters should have a few beers first 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.