Shooting, Killing, Murder!!!

Homepage Forums Politics Shooting, Killing, Murder!!!

This topic contains 87 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Noel 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)
  • Author

private
    Participant

Um, no. This person was not your orphan/victim type. He and his brother were adopted by an ultra-rich couple of folks who indulged Cruz. As he informed the cops, the poor little guy is inheriting $800,000 at age 22 from mommy’s estate. His attorney will no doubt be living quite well in the meantime. Do you really think that this person, a flaming sociopath, hasn’t plotted and planned each step including how to live comfortably in cushy prison-for-the-mentally-ill? You said it, Robert.

tom sarbeck
    Participant

The Japanese people are doing population control without guns.

WaPo has this article on the stats over the last 50 years.

Unseen
    Participant

As a forensic psychologist in training, my own clinical perspective is that this boy was a WALKING red flag. And the FBI fucked up by NOT doing their job when they were informed about him.

There is really nothing effective that “their job” would have let them do to prevent the shooting. Until he killed 17 people, he had the same rights as you and me. What powers do you imagine the FBI (and all the other agencies) have?

Participant

@unseen there should have been an investigation. They could have prevented it the same way they’ve prevented other forms of domestic terrorism. He said blatantly in a YouTube video he was going to be a “professional school shooter”…once you start making threats to harm yourself or someone else you are a danger to society. But obviously no one took it seriously. And more so than anything else the adults around him should have stepped in. This kid had no business owning a semi automatic weapon.

Participant

@private all the money in the world doesn’t matter. He didn’t have a dad to keep his ass in line. That’s something money can’t buy.

Participant

Besides, if that if that $800k was doing him any damn bit of good (I hadn’t heard that his mom was rich) why was he homeless having to stay with a friend?

Noel
    Participant

We are so screwed. No other developed nation on the planet has this debate. We are debating about our children’s lives or a “right” to bear arms? Most developed nations chose their children’s lives; we?

The Unites States Gun Lobby is the strongest lobby in the world. It’s bigger than cancer research. You have a better shot of buying a military style weapon, even with a mental problem, than me getting cured for cancer. That’s a lot of money. And the gun lobby, with the help of the NRA, has won. Right now there is a run on guns. Every time a tragedy like this happens ‘Mericans run to their local gun store and stock up on guns and ammo. It’s the American way.  No matter that five years ago little children were murdered with these things and we said it was okay to murder little children. Because we did. That’s exactly what it came down to. Because nothing was done.

The New Yorker Magazine ran a piece where New York State was depicted on a map as being four times bigger than all other states. That’s how the pro gun lobby views the bill of rights. With the Second Amendment being the most important. Life, Liberty, and the persuit of happiness be damned.

The Republican Party. For a party that prides itself on the literal translation to the bill of rights it dropped the ball on that second amendment. You know, the one with the preamble. The only one with a preamble that talks about militia’s and the protection of a free state. Soon enough they’ll edit out that usless part and just leave the “…right to bear arms shall not be infringed”.

Rant over. I’ll just sit in front of the idiot box and await the next tragedy and see if I can continue to grow numb to all of it.

s

I was saving this for the next Sunday School but it is more relevant here and you might consider it a “thinking outside of the box” proposal to solving gun violence.

Noel
    Participant

@Reg: What a fantastic idea! Thanks for that Reg. I need to lighten up a little.

Participant

ROLMFAO! Let’s do it! Everyone change your name to Khabib and go join the NRA! Hahahaha!!!!!!!!

Davis
    Participant

I know it’s not “all about mental health.” I am saying it’s all about having no stable family.

Sorry…this is neither the case. Some terrorists and murderers come from stable families (hence their brothers and sisters who turned out fine). And people from broken families become policemen and first responders who work to counter terrorism. In other words, this is a gross overgeneralisation.  You are dismissing other factors which are equally important if not more important. Terrorism isn’t “all about” or even “mostly about” one factor. It is extremely complex. And the relationship between a broken home and violence as an adult is by tendency, there is a small tendency for those who lived in a broken home to show greater violence than others (because of more than one factor anyways), it is not causal relation. Imagine I said “boys who become lying irresponsible adults … didn’t go to boy scouts. They need boy scouts. It’s all about not being in boyscouts”. Well that’s absurd. There is a whole lot more to an adult being a liar and irresponsible than if they were part of a fraternal character building club. And this is really not that different than the “its al about a broken home” argument.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Davis.
    • This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Davis.

Strega

Great post, Davis.  One of these days when I’m over in Blighty I’ll nip over the channel and have a pint with you, wherever you’ve ended up.

Participant

@davis: I am not saying anything about generalities. I’m addressing the pieces of little bit of information we have about this kid in Florida. Everything about him was a bright red flag for disaster. It is a fact that a kid with unhealthy attachments, impulsiveness, a history of hurting animals and engaging in risk taking behavior, single parent household, long term school failure, lack of healthy social connection, depression…..

Im not overgeneralizing at all! I’m saying a kid with all the boxes checked for risk factors ending up being reported to the FBI as a threat and no one even following up on the report?

I don’t know how else to spell it out for you….

Participant

Stricter gun laws isn’t the only area where we (as in society) failed to protect him from hurting himself and others.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.