Songs you think more people should hear

Homepage Forums Small Talk Songs you think more people should hear

This topic contains 114 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 115 total)
  • Author

Aye, she’s a wee Scottish lass. After 10 years in London she is now a lady what speaks proper.

Unseen
    Participant

Nine out of ten people, if you told them that Luciano Pavarotti and James Brown once sang a duet on “It’s A Man’s World,” they’d probably say something along the lines of “Yeah…right.”

Unseen
    Participant

Here’s another fave of mine. The video is a hoot but it’s a catchy tune as well. By the way, Jimmy Ray is a BRITISH performer even though the video was shot in L.A.!

_Robert_
    Participant

Does this trance you?…

Unseen
    Participant

Aye, she’s a wee Scottish lass. After 10 years in London she is now a lady what speaks proper.

There goes my Irish theory. I guess her Scottish brogue has been polluted by Londonese.

Unseen
    Participant

This is a great rainy evening jam. <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/4XJxFAoiWSY?feature=oembed” width=”670″ height=”503″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Love the beat.

OK Unseen have some fun with this. The girl at 4:00 is from the place I grew up in. As an American would put it…..

_Robert_
    Participant

I was at an Irish pub in Fort Lauderdale and the barkeep says something like “day toy ya ear”. I just shook my head “Ok”. One minute later I happen to look out the window and see a tow truck pulling away with my buddy’s car.

Good one 🙂

I used to live in the squats of south London in my late teens\early twenties. One house had 11 people sharing and almost everyone was from different country. Irish, English, Scottish, NZ, Australia, South Africa, USA, Brazil and various European countries. At first it we had problems with each others accents but we got accustomed to them to each others speech very quickly. A few Italian girls moved in  and at first they had no English. So they pick up saying from everywhere. The first thing we would all learn was how to swear and to do so by sounding “like a native”. It was very funny at times to listen to the various phrases coming from a very attractive Italian who would swear with a Scottish accent and speak generally with a mix of south African and London Cockney . When she smoked weed (our “Esperanto”) and was getting stoned would utter “Oh Jay-sus” in a “Hollywood Oirish” accent. It was so funny.  To this day I can “speak” in any of those accents because I can hear them in my head on demand.

Take a break from the weather watch with This

Davis
    Participant

Ahhh those times dossing or squatting in London 🙂

My first year in London I lived in a house where there were 40 of us (35 Australians). We were three or four to a room. And we paid 360 pounds per person each a month for the privilege (which was a lot 20 years ago) but the only way you could possibly afford to live in the centre. It was, without a doubt, a lot of fun living with them. Helarious, good spirited and nice people. Endless parties. I then graduated to “dossing”. That’s where you live in someone’s living room. I paid 100 pounds a month to live in my friends livingroom at night storing my stuff in a side closet. We lived on the periphery of the centre. Was less fun but easier on the wallet and the kidneys and my spine could handle it back then. I then sort of parted ways with a group of friends.I went onto a nicer cheaper flat in a suburb while my other friends moved into a squat. They invaded an abandoned flat in a nice neighbourhood (an enomrous appartment that was once a virtual mansion in the centre of london). 20 of them lived in the rooms, hallways, living room, sitting room and kitchen. No electricity or running water. They were three or four to a room. Their rent was 50 pounds a month for communal costs and a cleaning lady for an hour a day. After a few years they got a lawyer, had documented most of their stay, managed to possess the flat, sold it and went home to Australia with a considerable sum of money. I admired their tenacity but was glad I had passed on the opportunity. If the owner had come home at any time they would have been evicted and thats the end of the story. And some of them were frequently sick. Oh and the dramas. My God it seemed just about everyone had slept with everyone at some point. And the piss buckets on the balcony were foul ferral things. Good times over all in London though. Miss that city sometimes.

_Robert_
    Participant

Holy crap Davis, that is crazy! I am way too anti-social to be bunked-up like that, even in my youth. I like “people watching” but I don’t want all that constant interaction. Most (not all) people generate tons of “noise” concerning their second-to-second urges, desires, bodily discomforts, insecurities, on and on ad nauseum….and I can’t stand to fake that I care as I am expected to. I have witnessed so many “conversations” when neither moron hears a word the other one says and when they are done they are both somehow satisfied. When I do find someone I can hang with I usually have a life-long, but somewhat distant friend.

Unseen
    Participant

The song is great, but this post is more about a new and unusual band. Out of Monterey, Mexico, this rock trio consists of three sisters, the oldest being 18 years old and the youngest 15.

Anyone who’s been in a rock band will tell you that pulling off a trio isn’t an easy trick. There’s no room for loafing. Enough has to be happening to keep the sound from getting sparse, hollow, or thin (best descriptors I can do off the top of my head). This is why most guitar bands have two guitarists, one of them playing rhythm guitar or a riff or something to fill in he gaps.

Great rock trios have generally had exceptional musicians. Rush, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, ZZ Top, The Police, and Cream are examples.

Well, these three girls pull it off. You’ll quickly realize that the drummer is the center or anchor of the band. She’s the best musician and has more energy than a weasel in heat. AND notice that she not only plays drums in heels, but sings while bashing the shit out of her drum kit and there’s never any hint she’s getting out of breath.

Check out The Warning. And watch for ’em: they’re on the way up.

Also of note, all three girls speak letter perfect accent-free standard American English as you’ll discover if you google up some interviews, but you can also find them interviewed in their native Mexican Spanish.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Unseen.

Davis
    Participant

I am way too anti-social to be bunked-up like that, even in my youth.

To be honest there wasn’t any time for thinking about the realities of sharing a room with three other guys (we are talking four beds, a closet and a sink with almost all your things stored under your bed). When you work in London you work hard (and the over time) plus the commute on the underground etc. Get home and figure out having dinner. Then you go to the pub with your workmates or some of the 40 people you live with or go to a show, restaurant, party, tourist event in London etc. By the time you actually get back to your room, almost every night…all you can do is make sure you have an ironed shirt for tomorrow and then crash with a loud boom on your bed. Pooooffff. Surprisingly over a year never remotely had a single tiff or issue besides one thing. One roomate put on Axebody spray before heading to work (before I woke up). I asked if he could do that outside the room cause I couldn’t get to sleep afterwards. He said “yup no problem”. And that was the extent of any tensions between any of us. That being said, there is no chance in hell I could have tollerated living in the squat. I passed out a few times on the couch at a party there. It was tollerable. But the place was utter chaos, and gross, and very noisy all the time, and there were very few limits, perpetual second hand smoke, perpetual smell of stale beer, music from three different radios. Yet still, there was one room that was always kept extremely clean and tidy and organized. The little space to iron your work clothes. Helarious when you think of it. No Robert, I couldn’t handle a few years of that. Judging from what you’ve said I think 24 hours and you’d go back home and be greatful every day for how you live 🙂

Unseen
    Participant

I am way too anti-social to be bunked-up like that, even in my youth. To be honest there wasn’t any time for thinking about the realities of sharing a room with three other guys (we are talking four beds, a closet and a sink with almost all your things stored under your bed). When you work in London you work hard (and the over time) plus the commute on the underground etc. Get home and figure out having dinner. Then you go to the pub with your workmates or some of the 40 people you live with or go to a show, restaurant, party, tourist event in London etc. By the time you actually get back to your room, almost every night…all you can do is make sure you have an ironed shirt for tomorrow and then crash with a loud boom on your bed. Pooooffff. Surprisingly over a year never remotely had a single tiff or issue besides one thing. One roomate put on Axebody spray before heading to work (before I woke up). I asked if he could do that outside the room cause I couldn’t get to sleep afterwards. He said “yup no problem”. And that was the extent of any tensions between any of us. That being said, there is no chance in hell I could have tollerated living in the squat. I passed out a few times on the couch at a party there. It was tollerable. But the place was utter chaos, and gross, and very noisy all the time, and there were very few limits, perpetual second hand smoke, perpetual smell of stale beer, music from three different radios. Yet still, there was one room that was always kept extremely clean and tidy and organized. The little space to iron your work clothes. Helarious when you think of it. No Robert, I couldn’t handle a few years of that. Judging from what you’ve said I think 24 hours and you’d go back home and be greatful every day for how you live 🙂

Was this post intended for another discussion? This discussion is about music!

Davis
    Participant

God bless your pedantic side Unseen

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.