Songs you think more people should hear

Homepage Forums Small Talk Songs you think more people should hear

This topic contains 114 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)
  • Author

Does this one work?

It is only a quarter of what is “censored” but you should get the idea.

Jody Lee
    Participant

No, but I searched for Amy in Dingle and it came up with several videos. She was so talented. Had a lot of passion.

Try that link above once more…

Jody Lee
    Participant

Still no luck, Reg.

OK. It must be regional too. Time to get Tor 🙂

Jody Lee
    Participant

Check this out. Singing and strumming the bass is my friend of 15 years. Her band just released their first single and video.

Jody Lee
    Participant

Also, @Reg, what is this Tor you speak of?

Tor is basically a network of linked servers on the Internet that do not retain your data. It gets moved randomly to different servers so it is not easy to trace. Sometimes this means that you can access (say) YouTube videos that are blocked because of regional restrictions. Not always though. You can also change your modem\router DNS entries to those of another country and this often works. Example if you live in Europe you can use USA DNS for Netflix locally and this allows you to browse Netflix USA content not yet available in Europe.

I have helped set it up for atheists in parts of the Middle East where they would be in danger of being tracked. No history is left on their pc.

Tor is also used for access to the “Dark Web” which is a bad place to be unless you are talking about a revolution.

I like that track by Cavern. 832 views when I opened it.

Geez, this was 22 years ago…

_Robert_
    Participant

Yeah, Jody_Lee your friend’s song is killer, cool vocal effect and the guitars and drums are top notch ! Like the whole vibe of that. Keep us posted on them, please. Funny cuz I was working on a piano balled with my GF’s daughter. I wrote the music, but she wrote the words to this ending part. I did get one line in there, see if you can figure out which one, LOL.

Jody Lee
    Participant

@robert

That’s awesome! My son plays piano. It’s one of my favorite instruments.

@Reg, 832 views in 2 days!

_Robert_
    Participant

That’s great Jody. Hope he enjoys it. It can be trying at times. I supplement retirement by gigging around town, lots of demand for keyboardists. Other benefits too. For instance there was an old beautiful black piano off to the side in my hotel’s lobby in Venice. I had enough house wine in my system and started playing this tune from “Amelie” and when I looked up I had a dozen smiling female admirers.

Unseen
    Participant

My taste in music is very broad. Broad enough to include classical music. This piece is kind of jaw-dropping. Bach transcribed a Vivaldi concerto for four violins and orchestra, making a concerto for four harpsichords and orchestra. Now, I don’t know where you live, but consider the difficulty of just finding four harpsichords to bring together at the same time and place. If I owned one, it’d never leave my home. I’m pretty sure that here in Portland, gathering four instruments would be a practical impossibility. More likely cities like New York, London, Paris, Amsterdam, or Berlin. It’s not like most of us have gone into someone’s home and seen a harpsichord the way we might see a piano or guitar. And any  symphony orchestra is going to have at least one (and probably two or more) pianos on hand, but not a harpsichord unless they perform a lot of baroque music.

Unlike the piano forte, whose name translates as “soft loud,” and responds proportionally to the energy applied by the player, the harpsichord has no dynamic range at all. Despite that disadvantage, the harpsichord has a certain kind of brittle, fragile beauty that the piano can’t approach.

Enjoy…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

I’ll never forget the day my teenage daughter told me “I don’t like jazz.” I laughed and said, “You haven’t heard enough jazz to even begin to say that.” I don’t think she’s changed her mind, but that’s because her taste in music doesn’t go far beyond pop and country. I’m a failure as a parent.

But to anyone wanting to know if there’s any jazz they might like, I would direct them to this 1966 recording by Chico Hamilton’s group.

Perhaps requiring a bit more sensitivity is Dexter Gordon’s rendition of You’ve Changed…

I’m sure one of the first exercises a young saxophonist has to do is run through some arpeggios, notes in a scale. Well, Dexter opens this piece with some arpeggios, but when played by a master…well, there’s a big difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.