Songs you think more people should hear

Homepage Forums Small Talk Songs you think more people should hear

This topic contains 114 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 115 total)
  • Author

Jody Lee
    Participant

Thanks, guys, for the eclectic playlist during my drive home from work.

Jody Lee
    Participant

This is a great rainy evening jam.

Yes, good choice!

Hope the sun comes out to play soon.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer. Reason: Posted wrong track. Meant this as it reminded me of the of the Primitive Radio Gods track

Unseen
    Participant

Everyone knows who David Bowie is, but probably it’s mostly guitarists who know who Adrian Belew is. Rightly described as a musician’s musician, few rock guitarists have a command of the electronics side of playing and only Jeff Beck really matches him when it comes to the use of the whammy bar. Here is a song Bowie wrote for Belew and on which he takes the vocal lead. YOU get to decide what the pretty pink rose is. I have a dirty mind, so I think I know.

Unseen
    Participant

Here is the aforementioned Belew during the time he was in King Crimson, a band full of musician’s musicians. That weird instrument that opens the tune is called a Chapman Stick and that’s Tony Levin playing it.

King Crimson would be on many rock historians’ and musicians’ short lists of Best Rock Band of All Time, and this song may give you a hint why. That’s Bill Bruford on drums and Robert Fripp playing the background riff.

Davis
    Participant

Good oleΒ Peaches

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Davis.

I had forgotten that song Davis.If you like Old Skool then here is a great remix by Carl Cox of Treaty by Yothu Yindi. I have it on my running mix at the moment. Again, play somewhere near to volume 11.

@unseenΒ  – I used to have a copy of Red by KC on vinyl. Starless reminds me of a song by Rush.

I recently discovered Wooden Shjips which reminded me of them. Here is one of their songs. You may not get the linkage with that one but dig out a few tracks on Spotify as they have some great ambient tracks. More Rock than Prog Rock (which I never really got into).

_Robert_
    Participant

@unseen – I used to have a copy of Red by KC on vinyl. Starless reminds me of a song by Rush. I recently discovered Wooden Shjips which reminded me of them. Here is one of their songs. You may not get the linkage with that one but dig out a few tracks on Spotify as they have some great ambient tracks. More Rock than Prog Rock (which I never really got into).

I had the yellow KC album, I remember looping sleepless while studying calculus.

All shuttered up, no more gas or water in town, just waiting for the storm to mess us up or just sorta mess us up…..

I remember looping sleepless while studying calculus….

I suppose both are a study of continuous change. Looks like Dorian may be veering away from hitting you directly? My family have a condo in PCB which just missed the brunt of Hurricane Michael last time. Looks like this one will now miss. Stay safe. I hope it does not get too messed up.

My empire of dirt…..

OK, I’ll stop now πŸ™‚ It is difficult to cover a classic and do justice to it but I think this version does.

Unseen
    Participant

OK, I’ll stop now πŸ™‚ It is difficult to cover a classic and do justice to it but I think this version does. <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/usN-pKfw6Q8?feature=oembed” width=”670″ height=”377″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

I agree that this version is the new standard version. It’s FAR better than the original. A revelation. (When is he going to cover Mrs. Robinson? LOL)

Unseen
    Participant

On a bit of a tangent, here is an almost unbearably charming young voice coach reacting to Disturbed’s version of The Sound of Silence. I’d jump at the chance to buy dinner for her just to hear her talk. And I’m sure she’d talk a lot. Her accent? I’m thinking Irish, or Scottish, but more likely Irish. She certainly, to my American eyes, looks lrish.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

She’s got an unusual accent.Β  I’m guessing Edinburgh with a bit of Irish.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.