Songs you think more people should hear

Homepage Forums Small Talk Songs you think more people should hear

This topic contains 114 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

To me, Waits seems like a pretentious hipster, most of his stuff never hooks me in enough for a second play. I tried to like his stuff, but I call bullshit, LOL

Now this is an interesting judgement. I never loved his music, but he certainly impressed me as original, and if anything, perhaps a lot of people who promoted him to fame were hipsters? In a sense, a lot of music is “pretentious” because it relies so heavily on riding on the popularity of previous music. What people buy is actually the most powerful force that determines which personalities get to rise to large attention and playing larger venues. I avoided Led Zeppelin for years because they were so popular, and didn’t appreciate their monumental talent until realizing to take seriously how they built on the shoulders of American Blues music. With that said, here is another favorite of mine who invented his own awesome way to cover some historic hits: <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/wgIB1OL09H0?feature=oembed” width=”670″ height=”503″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Tom Waits is truly an American original. A poet/singer and an actor, too. in 36 movies from 1978 through to this year. If you look at his filmography, you’ll see that many of them were not minor movies.

The death of Stevie Ray Vaughan was a true tragedy for rock guitar afficionados everywhere  In many ways, he was the successor to Jimi Hendrix.

_Robert_
    Participant

@jody Lee  ..Nice one..I was just wondering what ever happened to radiohead..have they become youtubehead?

This lady hits all the notes. Sia sang with Zero 7 as well…that song “destiny” is so good.

Jody Lee
    Participant

@robert

It’s been awhile for Radiohead,  but Thom Yorke is still making music.  I really enjoyed Zero 7. Her range reminds me of Joni Mitchell. Here’s something you may have heard before. It’s one of my favorites.

_Robert_
    Participant

There is no way 1st aid kit are from Sweden, LOL. Sweet and so powerful at the same time.

I was in the mood for some Cajun stomp and the best I found was some backyard jam in Germany or France. Europeans have a knack for elevating US music styles to a higher level.

Now this guy is a true Southern boy…think she is from Cali. It’ll never last. It didn’t.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

There is no way 1st aid kit are from Sweden, LOL

Sweden is one of the homes of pop music!  They have a knack for it.

Unseen
    Participant

There is no way 1st aid kit are from Sweden, LOL

Sweden is one of the homes of pop music! They have a knack for it.

ABBA? You can’t get much more pop than that.

_Robert_
    Participant

Yeah, but ABBA sounds Swedish. First Aid Kit sounds Country/Southern US. And their video looks to be Sothern Gothic. Take Zeppelin. They flung old delta blues out into the stratosphere.

Jody Lee
    Participant

@robert I’ve heard The Civil Wars before, but never this. It’s easy on the ears.

And well…ABBA! 💃😆

_Robert_
    Participant

OK, so I was looking for some of my fav Cajun/zydeco bands and this popped up. First impression was “this is good”. But then I see this little hill in background. The bayou is flat. Wait, the houses are all wrong, look at those roof pitches. Why are the washboards made to wear? How come there 20 people playing washboards? Are they using egg whiskers? OK this isn’t the low country and they ain’t no Cajuns. It is Saulieu France, an old Roman town. Dam I wish I was there for that jam.

Good track Robert. Nah, I don’t think she ever really left the Bayou.

_Robert_
    Participant

I forgot how good was RG.

Unseen
    Participant

It was Lonnie Mack’s songs Memphis and Wham that got me to pick up an electric guitar and start playing.

The thing is, neither of those instrumentals showed of his best guitar playing, which is instantly recognizable oncce you’ve heard a couple of his songs. And neither showed of his wonderful voice, either. He’s gone now. What a loss.

Here he is with two other guitar legends, Albert Collins and Roy Buchanan. He always (when electric) played a Gibson Flying-V with Bigsby Vibrato attached through a feat of engineering. LOL And his sound is largely do to his pioneering use of a Leslie speaker. “The Leslie speaker is a combined amplifier and loudspeaker that projects the signal from an electric or electronic instrument and modifies the sound by rotating a baffle chamber in front of the loudspeakers. A similar effect is provided by a rotating system of horns in front of the treble driver.” This sort of speaker gives the characteristic vibrato we all hear when we hear a performer on a Hammond B-3 electronic organ.

Finally, a classic instrumental done in the tradition of country guitar “chicken pickin’,” from which the tune gets its name.

Like that other obscure guitar hero, Danny Gatton, Lonnie always had the “What is he?” problem, though not nearly as bad as Gatton. Was he rock? country? blues? gospel? He even wrote a song title “Too Rock for Country, Too Country for Rock and Roll.” Most people appreciate one genre and don’t want to hear anything else.

He fell into relative obscurity for a couple decades until rediscovered by Stevie Ray Vaughan, but with Vaughan’s death and the consequential lack of support from the mega-star, he sank back into obscurity again, playing small clubs here and there with audiences consisting largely of guitarists. He was a classic musician’s musician, loved by musicians but largely unknown to the general public, save for a couple hits from the sixties.

Oh, heck, I’ll throw in one last instrumental. It’s a later instrumental and is about the most muscular electric guitar playing I can think of in the blues genre.

Jody Lee
    Participant

@robert, that sounds like something you would hear here in the Appalachias.

I love Rory Gallagher. Makes me want to sit down with a six pack and vibe.

Here’s my Joni. A classic.

There is a small village on the west coast of Ireland called Dingle. One night a 23 year old woman dropped in to the tiny 200 year old church to sing a few songs.

Jody Lee
    Participant

@Reg, that video is “not available in my country”… sadly. Amy Winehouse had a voice. Powerful as hell.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.