Trump Can Become Dictator Due to a Loophole in the Constitution

Homepage Forums Politics Trump Can Become Dictator Due to a Loophole in the Constitution

This topic contains 121 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 122 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

There was a time when I listened to my heart. It told me that marginalized people are hurting. It told me that animals feel pain. It told me that religion is bullshit. Why oh Why did I begin to ignore the simple truths of life?

OK, Annie… yes we can go to the waters’ edge and  cast away those doubts…

Thanks AZ (Davis, Reg, Silent Strega)   😉  Living in the old fuckin South wears on ya…….

I have become healthier since I cut out eating processed food. I never do anymore. I seldom eat red meat (one a year maybe?) but I would eat lean meat like turkey (yes, organic) occasionally. I never eat processed slices from plastic packets and sorry but BBQ meat should seldom if ever be consumed. A few years back I was shopping in a Publix store in Florida and saw 2 chicken fillets that I assumed were large turkey fillets! I could not believe the size of them (even with the objective evidence in front of me!). What are they being fed on?  That was what made me finally decide.

I never miss not eating meat. I cook a lot of Indian meals like Tarka Dal or Chana curries which have all the protein I need. I have gone for low carb diets (very easy to do) and don’t worry too much about sometimes going off plan. Now that I am used to eating this way I sometimes find I am turning away from foods I used to like and wondering how I ever ate it in the first place. It has no appeal for me. In fact I made a mental note recently that I had only eaten vegan for the previous 12 days without intending too.

I am healthier and fitter now than I was in my thirties (20 years ago). I often run 5k in (just) under 25 minutes. It becomes a “non-vicious cycle”. The healthier and fitter I become the less I want to eat junk or processed food which in turn makes me more conscious of what I am purchasing. This in turn leads to me reading up about the foods I eat. So I now look for better foodstuffs and cook it myself which makes me even healthier. I smoke weed occasionally (yes, organic, lol) and even stock up on healthy munchies before I indulge 🙂

Many of the people I know in Atheist Ireland have gone Vegan over the last few years. I do it for health reasons but many of them would say they are vegans for moral reasons. It is about respecting all life forms on Earth without claiming “dominion” over them. It is also for environmental reasons and with the health benefits following on as a bonus. I met someone recently and hardly recognized her. She lost about 12lbs (her words) and about 10 years off her face. She put it all down to her vegan diet as she did everything else the same, except for walking more. While I have been giving Veganism more consideration over the last few years I find I am almost there without realizing it.

Glen D
    Participant

To vegans:

1. When you pick, i.e. an apple, does the tree or the apple feel pain?

2. When you bite into a freshly-picked, i.e. apple, does it feel pain?

Your evidence, please.

Indeed;

There was a faith healer of Beale

Who said, although pain isn’t real,

When I sit on a pin,

and it punctures my skin,

I dislike what I fancy I feel.

In Gulliver’s Travels, Gulliver comes across an order of monks who live on nothing but cabbages which have died from natural causes.

ME? I’m an omnivore, but my meat is mainly chicken for economic reasons.  Have been to China, and eaten only Chinese food. The Chinese will eat anything which has its back towards heaven.  The more unusual food I ate includes; broccoli stems as a vegetable course, frogs legs, stir fried chicken intestines, and 100 year eggs. Thank the FSM the beer was good, (once we convinced them to refrigerate)

When push comes to shove, I do not consider any animal’s life more important  than mine. I really don’t know how far I’d take that value with the lives of other people vs my own.

Living in the old fuckin South wears on ya…

Not on the days when you are close to the sea.

A change could be a comin’

Unseen
    Participant

Actually I’ve read that apples are a lot more intelligent than we once thought. Not only are they aware of their environment but the even communicate with one another through the releasing of gasses and the transmission of Iron and Vitamin B12 through the tree sap. They also aren’t as stupid as a lot of people think. They are capable of doing many kinds of tricks including sit, roll over and beg on command. Scientists have all confirmed this as absolutely true but they haven’t found the slightest sign of pain receptors. So while picking an apple is certainly murder…it doesn’t cause pain (except for its brothers and sisters who will miss it).

Bad news for vegetarians and vegans.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

Davis Participant That woman from the Mayo clinic is clearly being paid by big pharma and Monstanto. Her anti-vegan attack and smear-propaganda is designed to scare ethical and virtuous animal lovers from being their vurtious and ethical selves. Creating this vitamin B12 and Iron boogeyman, they aim to instill fear in the hearts of virtuous non-meat eaters and that they stray from the ethical path. Vegan diets offer perfect nutrition with no deficiencies and this diet acts as a natural vaccine against all diseases and can even cure cancer.

Accusing that woman of being just a big pharma and Monsanto shill needs a little actual evidence. There’s no evidence in the video that she isn’t speaking for the Mayo Clinic, rated as the top medical center on Earth. I’m pretty sure her checks come from the Clinic, not big pharma or Monsanto, until you have more than a suspicion to offer.

Your post above sounds like a snake oil pitch if I ever heard one. Cures cancer, so maybe it grows hair on a bald head and cures erectile dysfunction, too. This seems a whole lot less snake oily.

83% of vegans don’t get enough B12. Vegans tend to make a lot of other nonvegan-inspired* changes in their diets (less processed food, watching portion sizes, etc.) but tend to place all the benefits and none of the problems on the vegetarian/vegan doorstep. See the other vids I posted for a little balance.

* Generally healthy practices unrelated to ones attitude toward meat vs. vegetables.

PopeBeanie

This seems a whole lot less snake oily.

Trump as dictator and other constitutional matters… although Snake Oil is (imo) a currently relevant theme. But personally, albeit merely anecdotally, back in Oct/Nov ’18 I tested my blood sugar, and it was scary high. The next day, I was OFF carbohydrates, with complete conviction. Only later did I learn that “keto” describes a no-carb diet. But WAIT, so even that (Harvard story) is not the whole story, but (again anecdotally), I can report that I’ve been losing about 2 pounds a month, eating fried chicken, high fiber/low carb vegetables, and other fatty foods (like bacon this morning). I don’t focus on fat, as that Harvard link above infers. But protein, yeah, tons of it. Body builders focus on the protein, and I am much more physically active than I was a few years ago, and am feeling really good.

I don’t want to recommend this to everyone, just because it seems to have worked for me. Reg! Your experience matters, too. Assuming people do their own serious research, they can find what works best for themselves. I experiment a lot. After a recent colonoscopy, constipation hit me “hard”, for over a month. I was desperate and tried a few possible solutions all at once, and am moving well again, but can’t pinpoint if just one of those things I tried was the one thing that fixed me. I’m just assuming at this point that the “colon cleansing” (that was required the day or two before the colonoscopy) blew out some of the beneficial flora (i.e. bacteria, etc.), and diet like yogurt, high fiber vegies, and even “inulin” brought me back into comfortable poops within a few days.

YMMV. (So don’t sue me if yogurt and so on doesn’t work for you! Try apples, and blame Davis if it doesn’t work!)

MEANWHILE, wrt Trump-as-Dictator and snake oil salesman pandering to the populist or racist or flag-waving nationalist movement (in our USA case, ‘Murican), and back to (my currently favorite) Portlandian theme, I’ve jumped past several minutes of the following video for your convenience, but you can still choose to watch it from the beginning if you have the urge:

Now, other than the fact that none of these people would have predicted a Trump win four or five years in their future, I ask you, could we still produce and present this kind of intellectual, self-reflecting cultural humor, if Trump were to win again? (And I just noticed that valve stem is cocked a bit like the tire might have just been put on recently.)

tom sarbeck
    Participant

@unseen, @davis: “Scientists … haven’t found the slightest sign of pain receptors.”

Or is that, scientists haven’t found what scientists currently recognize as pain receptors?

After all, some astrophysicists consider themselves scientists. not sci-fi authors.

Davis
    Participant

Your post above sounds like a snake oil pitch if I ever heard one

Could I honestly write a less ironic/sarcastic post? At least no one took the apple one seriously. I’ll have to triple my efforts at making my parody as obvious as possible.

tom sarbeck
    Participant

@davis: “Your post above sounds like a snake oil pitch if I ever heard one.”

Or should that be, “Your post above reads like a snake oil pitch if I ever read one.”

I’ll have to triple my efforts at making my parody as obvious as possible.

That what fronkeys are for. I answered a question about chicken and ended up speaking like a theologian 🙂 If Jordan Peterson had said what I wrote his fan base would be all a quiver with admiration.

Davis
    Participant

Or is that, scientists haven’t found what scientists currently recognize as pain receptors?

Yes indeed. It dawned on me that intelligence and pain can take so many exotic forms that we cannot detect and I’ve spent hours wondering, if every time I sweep away leaves on the ground…am I causing them grief? When people take rocks and grind them up to make cement…is this a form of mass slaughter? I cannot even begin to think of how intelligent the moon must be if rocks do, after all, have feelings and pain receptors of some incredible form. There are so many ways that clouds might be sensitive creatures I wonder what happens to their consciousness when they dissipate. When I drink a glass of water, I’m weary of how destructive that act may be…am I committing hydro-genocide with every gulp of potentially smart and caring entity(s)? Sometimes I just want to collapse and just eat nothing and do nothing so I don’t step on an intelligent sidewalk or consume some living milk. But then I realize, every time I breathe in the air…I just may be systematically torturing some intelligent gas. The uncertainty consumes me. Am I a monster for simply moving, eating and breathing?

Unseen
    Participant

Actually I’ve read that apples are a lot more intelligent than we once thought. Not only are they aware of their environment but the even communicate with one another through the releasing of gasses and the transmission of Iron and Vitamin B12 through the tree sap. They also aren’t as stupid as a lot of people think. They are capable of doing many kinds of tricks including sit, roll over and beg on command. Scientists have all confirmed this as absolutely true but they haven’t found the slightest sign of pain receptors. So while picking an apple is certainly murder…it doesn’t cause pain (except for its brothers and sisters who will miss it).

If it’s OK to eat a fruit because it doesn’t apparently feel any pain, and yet they are “aware of their environment (and they)  even communicate with one another,” then if one imagines an animal similarly describable a vegetarian could eat it, I suppose. Are you aware there are humans who can’t feel pain? By parity of logic, there must almost certainly be animals similarly afflicted and perhaps this trait could be isolated genetically and bred into livestock.

PopeBeanie

After all, some astrophysicists consider themselves scientists. not sci-fi authors.

Some astrophysicists are plants, planted by real scientists who are secretly hired as post-docs to study conspiracies in academia that compete with their own master plans to dominate the theory space.

Spinach is especially persistent–some say dysfunctionally-fixated-yet-effective, which is why I get joy out of sauteing it (in olive oil when snakes are scarce) before consuming and subsuming it with my entrails.

The sizzling sounds give me goosebumps and shivers of the most pleasurable kinds. TAKE THAT, you miserable creatures!

Someday everyone will see I was right, and they were wrong. Reminders are the flowering parts that enthuse the procreation.

Unseen
    Participant

Or is that, scientists haven’t found what scientists currently recognize as pain receptors?

Yes indeed. It dawned on me that intelligence and pain can take so many exotic forms that we cannot detect and I’ve spent hours wondering, if every time I sweep away leaves on the ground…am I causing them grief? When people take rocks and grind them up to make cement…is this a form of mass slaughter? I cannot even begin to think of how intelligent the moon must be if rocks do, after all, have feelings and pain receptors of some incredible form. There are so many ways that clouds might be sensitive creatures I wonder what happens to their consciousness when they dissipate. When I drink a glass of water, I’m weary of how destructive that act may be…am I committing hydro-genocide with every gulp of potentially smart and caring entity(s)? Sometimes I just want to collapse and just eat nothing and do nothing so I don’t step on an intelligent sidewalk or consume some living milk. But then I realize, every time I breathe in the air…I just may be systematically torturing some intelligent gas. The uncertainty consumes me. Am I a monster for simply moving, eating and breathing?

There’s no denying that each one of us consciously (using soap, disinfectants, boiling water, when cooking, etc.) kill untold millions or trillions of creatures every day. Creatures possessing various degrees of sensateness (which may be a neologism, but one I’m sure  you understand). Cattle and pigs similarly kill organisms as they eat and digest their food. Pigs, in fact, are the only known hoofed predator, since wild pigs will chase down, kill, and eat rabbits and other small animals.

Death at the hands (or more commonly in the jaws) of other creatures is just as natural as death by old age, which hardly exists in nature. Let’s face it, nature isn’t kind to weakness or to being relatively less strong than an opponent. The weak, the injured, the less strong or less swift, these creatures don’t die at home in a bed with friends and family there to see them off. There’s not one thing unnatural with eating meat. Do humans eat too much meat for their health? Probably, verging on certainly.

Sikh’s are vegetarians, and they are facing a B12 deficiency problem, and are facing the need to at least drink milk, eat cheese, or begin using butter/ghee. Read here. It’s much the same in the vegetarian world, and especially for vegans, 83% of whom take in too little B12-bearing foods.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.