War in Europe. It has begun.

Homepage Forums Politics War in Europe. It has begun.

This topic contains 135 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

Amazing how fossil fuel money gives rise to these energy dictators all over the world. Russia didn’t like the competition posed by those natural gas reservoirs discovered off Crimea or the new pro-west Ukraine collecting fees for the Russian gas pipelines going through Ukraine to Europe. When Ukraine cut the water going to Crimea, well that was it. Germany is now resolute about getting away from oil and gas. Good for many reasons. Without energy money, Russia is dirt poor.

Unseen
    Participant

BTW, it turns out that many of the Russian soldiers have been tricked into thinking they are on a mission of liberation or on some sort of exercise. I heard about a tank that stopped by a gaggle of Ukrainians. One of them popped open the hatch and asked them for directions. Obviously, he thought the Ukrainians on the street would be friendlies. Instead they swore at him and told him to get the fuck out of their country.

He’s just lucky he didn’t get his head blown off.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

Amazing how fossil fuel money gives rise to these energy dictators all over the world.

Only if the rest of the nations of the world give up drilling and digging for their own crude, shale, Uranium and Thorium.

Russia didn’t like the competition posed by those natural gas reservoirs discovered off Crimea or the new pro-west Ukraine collecting fees for the Russian gas pipelines going through Ukraine to Europe. When Ukraine cut the water going to Crimea, well that was it.

Please, please let them try that with us. We may not be able to legally send guns to Ukraine, but we sure can keep the guns waiting for unwanted visitors. As CCR put it: “200 million guns are loaded! And Satan cries ‘Take aim!'”

Germany is now resolute about getting away from oil and gas. Good for many reasons. Without energy money, Russia is dirt poor.

Giving up Russia’s oil and gas is fine. The follow-through is digging for your own or trading with friendly partners. Germany has a shore line and their coal country in Saxony could be a great spot to start drilling. One fossil fuel may be a sign of more liqid fossil fuel nearby beneath. If they can’t make a windmill-mobile for the roads, Green Movement Watermelons can go screw.

Unseen
    Participant

You know, there’s a certain psychology of “If I can’t have it, no one can.” It’s the psychology of the guy who murders his girlfriend when she leaves him for someone else. It’s the all-or-nothing kind of psychology that Trump exhibited constantly where he had to win every encounter and couldn’t accept or even believe defeat.

I fear that Putin may have a similar mental makeup. This incursion isn’t going as well as he planned and he’s undoubtedly finding more opposition from the free world than he expected. Say what you want about Biden being weak, but in some ways, with his financial sanctions, done in cooperation with other major Western powers, he’s walking all over Putin.

I worry about Putin being perhaps like the boyfriend who can’t accept losing his girlfriend and so shoots her dead and then kills himself rather than accept the loss.

What if Putin’s decides “If I can’t win, no one wins” and starts to see a nuclear exchange as a way out of his dilemmas?

I was watching a DW (Deutsche Welle) live news coverage of the Russian invasion and one expert said something that seems wise: If we want to bring this to an end with the least chance of escalation to WW3, we need to give Putin an unhumiliating way out. That may mean something like a guarantee that the Ukraine will never be admitted to NATO or even, perhaps, the EU, so that it is a buffer zone between NATO and Russia.

Trapping Putin in a situation with no way out is flirting with disaster. Conquering the Ukraine might be a case of winning the battle but losing the war, if it means that Russia goes forward as a pariah nation with a ruined economy.

jakelafort
    Participant

Unseen, i agree with you. It is Russian roulette. Pun intended. It is the kind of thing in gambling in which the algorithms run the scenario ten thousand times. In 1028 times it is the end of our planet and species.

Saving face for a megalomaniac is critical if we wish to greatly reduce the 1028 result. And again unless Putin backs away voluntarily or allies of Ukraine fight which is another potential doomsday then Ukraine is going to be subjugated to Russia anyways. Z. should be encouraged to surrender and avoid further damage.

Maybe in the aftermath of the conflict some kind of international movement can be born in which we seek to be better. But the practicalities of the conflict in my view weigh against the policies so far implemented.

_Robert_
    Participant

Unseen
    Participant

Two pictures, ten billion words. Putin, like Trump, only wants yes-men around. Putin also may be thinking about the assassination attempt on Hitler that happened during a cabinet meeting.

_Robert_
    Participant

Now that is what I call ‘social distancing’.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

There was a similar deal with Ukraine in 1994. Ukraine was begged by the Clinton Administration to give up it’s nuclear weapons in exchange for a protection arrangement to be worked out by the U.S., the U.K., and Russia. What you see today is how well that worked out for Ukraine.

If Putin wants a way out, all the road signs in Ukraine are pointing him and his Putineers back to Moscow. So he’s not being held back on an escape route.

Also, I’m sure Putin has a Makarov in his pocket to finish himself off, just like Mister You-Know-Who-Else and his Frau Eva did with a Luger in a Berlin bunker on April 30, 1945.

👨👰🔫

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Italicizing "Frau." Prolly the shortest duration to be known by that term

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

That Biden cartoon looks like Butthead off of Beavis and Butthead and Trump looks like one of the dancing sows on Hee-Haw.

Either one painted on the front of a Ukrainian tank would suffice to scare the Putineers away. 😁

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Changing a '3' to an 'e.'
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Remov8ng a 'c' and a 't'

Unseen
    Participant

Russia has the classic problem of an invading army: Taking territory is one thing. Hanging onto it is another matter entirely. An insightful discussion by former CIA Director Gen. Petraeus:

_Robert_
    Participant

I am sure the IED phase will begin as unexploded Russian ordinance starts accumulating.

Unseen
    Participant

I have an idea I think is somewhat brilliant. Western powers and their allies should seize Russian assets to use for Russian war reparations and to finance providing for the huge number of refugees this incursion is generating.

I think I’ll propose this to my Federal legislators.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Jake,

You talk like algorithms are some mystical incantation revealed to some and denied to others and as inevitable as Calvin’s Predestination or Marx’ Historical Necessity.

Well, I for one, don’t think that the words “Learn to code” constitute “hate speech” and I’m looking to bend some probabilities myself.

Now, by “Z should be encouraged to surrender,” do you mean “Zelenskyy”, the President of Ukraine? If I were him, I woild do a Ukrainian General Anthony McAuliffe and reply: “Горіхи!” (“Nuts”)

Nuclear war is indeed one of the most horrific possibilities humans face. But it would not be the end of the world, nor of our species.

Physicist Dr. Petr Beckmann–in addition to give a thoughtful, passionate defense of nuclear power decades ago while everyone was cringing at Jane Fonda’s The China Syndrome–also gave an equally thoughtful, passionate defense of U.S. nuclear armament and refusal to surrender to nuclear blackmail.

He detailed just how quickly Hiroshima and Nagasaki recovered after Fat Man and Little Boy, he extrapolated the recovery to modern H-bombs, and detailed how regular Citizens can survive a nuclear attack. It’s basically just a matter of not being directly in the path of the blast, having an adequate and well-provisioned shelter, and remembering The Rule of Sevens with radioactive fallout. He gave a speech on it here:

Dr. Petr Beckmann–“Preventing Nuclear War” Part 1

Dr. Petr Beckmann “Preventing Nuclear War” Part 2

Dr. Petr Beckmann “Preventing Nuclear War” Part 3

Dr. Petr Beckmann “Preventing Nuclear War” Part 4

He also cites Cresson Kearny’s book Nuclear War Survival Skills, found here in a free pdf version, with other works on Civil Defense and Preparedness and updates:

Nuclear War Survival Skills–Oregon Institute for Science and Medicine
    http://www.oism.org/s32p903.htm

Patrick Henry actually commanded his “Almighy God” to forbid “Life so pure and peace so sweet as to be bought at the cost of chains and slavery.” Surely we Atheist unbelievers can have at least as much stoneage as that. And we don’t have to command a god, only to have command over our minds, bodies, and the Natural Universe that surrounds us.

Remember: You have only one life to live, so why not live it upholding the freedom and resilience that make possible all things that make life worth living?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Respelling a name and adding italics
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Respelling "Nuclear." I ain't The Little Bush Boy

Unseen
    Participant

I just noticed my diction error in the post about Gen. Petraeus above. Of course I mean his comments were “insightful.” I wrote that they were “inciteful.” Wow is me. Oopa! I meant Woe is me.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.