War in Europe. It has begun.

Homepage Forums Politics War in Europe. It has begun.

This topic contains 135 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • Author

OK, I will accept the blame for the confusion as I had written “They are not happy with us since a TV reporter called their ambassador “an apologist for slaughter”.

By they I meant Russia was not happy with us and not the guy I was texting with.

The Russian ambassador to Ireland has said the situation here (in Dublin) is “frankly difficult”, and he accused the country of being to the forefront of “anti-Russian events” in the European Union.

Meanwhile most Russians in Ireland do not support the war and feel very ashamed for what is happening because it is not being done in their name.

Unseen
    Participant

‘Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has said he has “cooled down regarding the question of a NATO membership for his country”, which was a key reason why Russia went to war with its neighbour, the US’ ABC News reported on Tuesday.’

This is a potential game changer that could give Putin a face-saving way out of his war which isn’t going very well.

However, as Tulsi Gabbard pointed last night, this story has largely been buried by the mainstream press.

Source for the quote: https://tinyurl.com/2u4t4b7c

I had not heard that so thanks for posting.  Yes, it would give Putin an off ramp to get out of Ukraine. He could easily spin it to show that he got what he said he wanted and would look more powerful at home and even on the world stage. Joining the EU is a good option for Ukraine. After the bombing of the maternity hospital in Mariupol it is clear Russia are happy to deliberately kill children without any shame and will have no concerns about committing further atrocities. So the sooner a ceasefire happens the better for Ukraine.

Some more here

Unseen
    Participant

OK, I will accept the blame for the confusion as I had written “They are not happy with us since a TV reporter called their ambassador “an apologist for slaughter”. By they I meant Russia were not happy with us and not the guy I was texting with. The Russian ambassador to Ireland has said the situation here (in Dublin) is “frankly difficult”, and he accused the country of being to the forefront of “anti-Russian events” in the European Union. Meanwhile most Russians in Ireland do not support the war and feel very ashamed for what is happening because it is not being done in their name.

I found the video and the quote. Jump in at about 3:28:

jakelafort
    Participant

The universe thought the pale blue dot sought to make humans nought with slogans they fought that wrought their demise.

Not sure of the tally but it is pretty bad already…how many dead, how many refugees, how many traumatized, how many more will starve to death, how many will be fucked by ridiculous price of gas and how much greater the chances of escalation to a degree that will change humanity? But we will never surrender!!!

And while it is easy to justify or rationalize the defense with a Neville Chamberlain precedent i fear that precedent is inapposite. If anything i suspect Putin will be emboldened if his terror campaign causes the collapse of Ukraine. And maybe the Korean lunatic will be jealous of Putin and act accordingly or China may be more aggressive. Any place with ethnic Russians will be fair game. And real resistance by the west means world war 111. Herd mentality in support of the defense of Ukraine is well intentioned i think but not well reasoned.

Unseen
    Participant

The universe thought the pale blue dot sought to make humans nought with slogans they fought that wrought their demise. Not sure of the tally but it is pretty bad already…how many dead, how many refugees, how many traumatized, how many more will starve to death, how many will be fucked by ridiculous price of gas and how much greater the chances of escalation to a degree that will change humanity? But we will never surrender!!! And while it is easy to justify or rationalize the defense with a Neville Chamberlain precedent i fear that precedent is inapposite. If anything i suspect Putin will be emboldened if his terror campaign causes the collapse of Ukraine. And maybe the Korean lunatic will be jealous of Putin and act accordingly or China may be more aggressive. Any place with ethnic Russians will be fair game. And real resistance by the west means world war 111. Herd mentality in support of the defense of Ukraine is well intentioned i think but not well reasoned.

Thanks for those optimistic thoughts, Jake. 💀

jakelafort
    Participant

Unseen I hope the fuck things turn out better than i expect. No doubt you have cited a way for Putin to end it without losing face too badly.

_Robert_
    Participant

I doubt Ukraine was ever to become a NATO member. Putin simply needed to crush his pro-western neighbor that was “thriving”(Simon?) and making his fucked-up oligarchy look like shit to the Russian people who were very connected with Ukraine and getting restless. If he uses that NATA BS to save face and get out while he still can, well good. Surrounded by “YES men” his plan has backfired, his military exposed as sucky and now he will have a recession. Of course, the US military always talks up theirs to keep the defense money flowing.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Thank you very much for the clarification of my sometimes easy confusion. 🤪

I probably should have figured that the “they” was Putin’s Russian and that the Ambassador was Russian Russian. However, I have also been reading Pro-Putin propaganda, which also alleges atrocities by Ukrainians against ethnic Russians. Hence, “the fog of war” has entered my head and needs the vent fans to clear it.

Many Russians outside of Russia have spoken against Putin and there is even buzz against Putin within the military and the business arenas of Russia. This bodes ill for Putin and great for the rest of the world. Must wait and see…

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Fellow Unhelievers,

Patriarch Kirill, in his prayers against war, just can’t bring himself to blame Putin for The Russo-Ukrainian War, but Kirill sure can pick more common scapegoats of hatred:

Russian Orthodox Church Blames LGBTQ Pride Parades For Ukraine Invasion
    https://www.ibtimes.com/russian-orthodox-church-blames-lgbtq-pride-parades-ukraine-invasion-3429590

🇷🇺🏳️‍🌈🇺🇦

So, Kirill, in addition to having a name that sounds like a fish-oil supplement,…Is there something you wish to tell us about you and Putin?…Not that there’s anything wroooong with that!

👬 🤼‍♀️ 🌈 😁

_Robert_
    Participant

Fellow Unhelievers, Patriarch Kirill, in his prayers against war, just can’t bring himself to blame Putin for The Russo-Ukrainian War, but Kirill sure can pick more common scapegoats of hatred: Russian Orthodox Church Blames LGBTQ Pride Parades For Ukraine Invasion https://www.ibtimes.com/russian-orthodox-church-blames-lgbtq-pride-parades-ukraine-invasion-3429590 🇷🇺🏳️‍🌈🇺🇦 So, Kirill, in addition to having a name that sounds like a fish-oil supplement,…Is there something you wish to tell us about you and Putin?…Not that there’s anything wroooong with that! 👬 🤼‍♀️ 🌈 😁

Well that adds up. They believe a gay parade is way evil compared to blowing up civilians, schools and clinics. Always count on the religious to get it as wrong as is possible.

Unseen
    Participant

An interesting report and analysis from AlJazeera, a somewhat left-of-center company funded in part by Qatar.

Total war: How Ukraine mobilised a country as Russia overreached

_Robert_
    Participant

Unseen
    Participant

Kirill’s Swiss Watch Does Disappearing Act https://www.rferl.org/a/russian_patriarch_watch_disappearing_act/24539007.html

Of course, it may be a Breguet “replica” watch he picked up on AliExpress.

BTW, that spittoon (chamber pot?) behind him could probably finance several Breguet watches.

He is probably in competition with his “brother“, the Cuddly One, that he met in Cuba to see if he had a needle with a very big eye to share.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.