What is God?

Homepage Forums Theism What is God?

This topic contains 130 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Dang Martin 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 131 total)
  • Author

David Boots
    Participant

Belle you are a wonderful person. You are that same person whether you believe in god or you conclude there is no evidence to believe in god. I personally value your contributions to this site now as I have in the past. As I am sure many others do.

People quote Hitchens because he had a rare ability to see through the layers of mist that surround and obscure that which is really quite simple at the end of the day. I am sure if anyone provided Hitchens with evidence against his views he would have modified his views. It is well known that he did modify some of his positions.

Spectator

@david thank you that is very sweet of you to say!!!!

I think where Hitchens and I still agree to this day is the atrocities caused by people who abuse religious power etc….I am with him on that!!!!!!!!

And so was Jesus btw 😉

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@strega

That this creator then gave a shit about a tiny blue dot in its massive creation

regular communication with the primal force

what I mean is that I agree with you that the Bible is not evidence or proof of anything on its own; but I can have some understanding of the sentiments or meaning – I do kind of get it.  It’s a good way to look at the situation, that in my terms, makes some solid sense.  What it describes is a two-way love, or caring, between each of us and the thing that sustains us.  This has a full-on sense and logic.

I suppose he did intervene earlier than that when he sent a flood to drown everyone but when that did not work he allegedly sent His only Son to save us from ourselves. Why did He wait so long? In fact it is probably closer to 180,000 years. You don’t now believe the world is only 6,000 years old?

What is the correct answer? Why is Hitchens wrong?

If you are a Christian you have to believe he waited until about 2017 years ago to intervene. What is the alternative you have?

Strega

Oh Simon, Simon…  The Bible is full of an angry jealous god who blights people for entertainment, anihilates swathes of people, drowned pretty much everyone, set bears to eat children, and don’t let me understate the smiting.  The word “laughter” is only present in that terrible book if you pluck it out of the word “slaughter”.   Calling it a book of love is like calling the cat ‘o nine tails a caressing tool.

Spectator

Hitchens fails to understand the concept of grace.

Strega we need a “Like” button.

_Robert_
    Participant

Strega, I need a lady in thigh high boots and a cat-o-9-tails to teach me all about god.

Is grace not something that your God gives you? It is a concept that has no meaning in the Christian sense of the word to those of us that are not Christians. I suppose 1 billion Chinese don’t get it either.

_Robert_
    Participant

Is grace not something that your God gives you? It is a concept that has no meaning in the Christian sense of the word to those of us that are not Christians. I suppose 1 billion Chinese don’t get it either.

About 29,000 children under the age of five – 21 each minute – die every day, mainly from preventable causes. More than 70 per cent of almost 11 million child deaths every year are attributable to six causes: diarrhoea, malaria, neonatal infection, pneumonia, preterm delivery, or lack of oxygen at birth. How’s that for grace.

Spectator

Chinese or not, grace is just unmerited favor. It doesn’t matter where you come from. I know I’ve been given grace in many many ways….that I don’t deserve. I could give you a laundry list. But that would be pretty pointless wouldn’t it?

Spectator

BTW: For those of you who have Netflix you should SO watch the Pyramid Code! It is FASCINATING!!!!

#Addicting lol

David Boots
    Participant

Belle I am not sure what you mean by grace?

One dictionary says ‘grace’ is defined as:

1. smoothness and elegance of movement
    2. courteous good will
    3. a period officially allowed for payment of a sum due or for compliance

Which definition do you mean?

Spectator

I did the same “google definition search ” you did and number two says:

(in Christian belief) the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.

Spectator

Wow…I’m blown away. Even just the little bit that I’ve learned watching that documentary on Netflix disproves Hitchen’s statement even further….wow! You have to watch it!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.