Sunday School

Sunday School 14th November 2021.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

The worship of God and Guns.

In Search of the elusive liberal Evangelicals.

Can you spot any flaws in this post?

Michael Flynn wants us to worship something more dangerous than Satan.

The City Council of Hamtramck in Detroit only allows American citizens to be elected.

On reclaiming Atheism for atheists. The religious will still insist they know things they cannot possibly know.

The majority of East Germans are not suffering from any god delusion.

Buddhism is a form of brainwashing just like Evangelical Christinsanity.

World of Woo: Homeopathic remedies don’t work.

Environment: When you are taking action for climate, it’s not for climate change, it’s for you.

A psychologist explains why people believe in conspiracy theories. Our solutions for tackling misinformation must incorporate well-being and mental health.

Ken Ham, not satisfied with his ark in the park lark is now going to dabble with building a new Tower of Babel.

3241 reasons why Christianity is a cobbled together fiction. (thanks to Strega for the link).

The value of Philosophy to us all.

Do the laws of physics and neuroscience disprove free will?

The robot ants are coming….to help us.

Long Reads: A Syrian man battles to save his family. COP26: The key agreements from Glasgow’s climate summit. AI and the future of labor. Evolution and Human Identity.  A conversation between an atheist and a ghost hunter.

All pleasures in life last but a moment.

Sunday Book Club:  The Dawn of Everything.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Podcast: Defending Free Speech for all.

Coffee Break Video: How mRNA vaccines work against a virus. The beauty of what we will never know.

Have a great week everyone!

Strega

Thanks Reg!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The value of Philosophy to us all.

I think philosophy is useful to us all, because it’s reasoning about real life.  Whatever form it comes in, that’s what it’s doing.  We all need to treat real life like a scientific topic.  Any form of reasoning about real life is philosophy.

Even religion contains philosophy, information about real life.  But it puts the cause of all these things as “God did it” rather than trying to figure out natural causes.

Buddhism is different because Buddha tried systematically to find natural causes for all human phenomena.  It’s a scientifically philosophical religion rather than a religiously philosophical one.

The problem with religions, including Buddhism, is that they all consider human beings to be flawed from the outset. That is vulgar.  Modern Philosophy has long been a purely secular enterprise.  The “nature of God” or the duality of mind and body or the idea of immortality are irrelevant topics to philosophers and are no longer discussed by them because they have no academic value. Those topics remain bound to the realms of theology and are only valued by those whose worldviews are formed by Magic Thinking.  Kant’s criticism of the philosophical foundations of belief destroyed any “theological proofs” that underpin apologetics. For me any argument that needs to call upon theology to support any debate about the human condition is demeaning to our intellect.

jakelafort
    Participant

There is no way western religion warrants classification as philosophy. It is derived of authority/mythology and requires its adherents to STFU and BELIEVE. Its evolution is not about truth but retention of power.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The problem with religions, including Buddhism, is that they all consider human beings to be flawed from the outset. That is vulgar.

To be fair – we are all able to mess up, at any time: our selfish, blind and thoughtless natures lead us to do it every so often, with the best will in the world.  So that’s what I think “original sin” is really all about.  It’s a true state of affairs.  We have inherent unskilfulness (as Buddhism would say) in our make-up, and we can learn to be more skilful.

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon you don’t think the concept of original sin is tactical?

Isn’t it just a way to excuse their putative divine creator for flawed creation? And it is depraved giving responsibility to future generations for the act in the Garden.

Isn’t it also a way of controlling adherents?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I don’t think it’s all that perfidious, or sinister.  I know it can be used as a powerful weapon in the wrong hands, but that doesn’t take away from its psychological and moral validity.

it is depraved giving responsibility to future generations for the act in the Garden.

But this is just the myth or story (which happens to blame women for the sinful nature of the human race).

jakelafort
    Participant

Yeah Simon the fate of humanity is not a big deal. Sinister what?

The guilt and consequent control over the lives of the ignorant masses is of little concern. The flagellants knew how to expiate sin. Beat themselves silly and if that is not sufficient then find a Jew to lynch. The countless and nameless faces of human civilization whose lives were destined to be proscribed, nasty, poor brutish and short.

And it is just a myth. What with the free market of ideas sorting the wheat from the chaff that is of no consequence either. It is not like those morons believe that story.

And wrong hands? That is nearly every prelate.

Oh and the psychological and moral validity? If not for the idea that we are all condemned at birth perhaps the Christians would not have accepted the notion that was endlessly hammered into their minds-Who killed Christ? The Jews killed Christ. Now lets go fuck up some Christ Killers! In its essence of quintessence the idea of original sin is valid since it entraps the mindless and duped.

Unseen
    Participant

“If a loving God is my center, then all my actions have meaning because they are related to the Absolute.”

I believe the only thing wrong with this statement is that “the Absolute” to the author must be God or what God dictates.

I can’t imagine how one constructs an ethical system on less than an absolute or the absolute. How would it not be a system based merely on attitudes and/or opinions?

You see, only an absolute of some sort can dictate duties and a system that can’t dictate duties I have a hard time viewing as any sort of ethical system at all.

In fact, this sounds like  a good topic for general discussion. If you want to contribute or rebut me, look for the “Are right and wrong and the related duties possible without absolutes?”

_Robert_
    Participant

…..security-training companies say houses of worship make up the fastest-growing segment of their business as more churches, synagogues, mosques and temples are arming their congregations.

..the religious must be a different species than me. I say we split the nomenclature ASAP.

..the religious must be a different species than me. I say we split the nomenclature ASAP.

I have often thought to myself that if I could remember where I parked my spaceship I would have left long ago 🙂

To be fair – we are all able to mess up, at any time: our selfish, blind and thoughtless natures lead us to do it every so often, with the best will in the world.

Yes, we all do from time to time. C’est la vie.  But that is not the same as claiming that we mess up because we are born flawed. It is as vulgar as claiming that we need some “divine power” to intervene to save us from our own flaws.

As a species we need to jettison all this religious BS from our thinking. We need to stop indoctrinating children minds with it. It is seeing the world as part of a “Demon haunted Universe” that has caused most of the problems in the first place. It is those ideologies that are flawed and not humans themselves. Religion cannot be the cure for the mental aberrations that it causes. Only reason and critical thinking will do that.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I can’t imagine how one constructs an ethical system on less than an absolute or the absolute. How would it not be a system based merely on attitudes and/or opinions?

You’re probably right.  Anything else has wiggle-room.  A slave says, “I absolutely do not want to be a slave”.  It’s like Michael Shermer says, there is a “who says?” problem.  Also like Shermer says, we need to ask the people involved or affected.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.