Sunday School

Sunday School 1st May 2022.

This topic contains 41 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

His Holiness Pope Beanie posted this story during the week on having the Bible banned in Florida so in case you missed it, here it is. But would the ban really stop young children learning about drunken orgies before their old enough to appreciate how much fun they can be?

Some Republican House members are “acting much more like members of a religious cult,” said Rep. Jamie Ruskin

Why do Evangelicals bother with HealthCare plans if they have a strong faith in Jesus?

Religious charities cost Canadian taxpayers billions, reports find.

She told her Christian college she was raped. Then she was banned from campus.

An atheist couple in Alabama cannot adopt a child because they do not have a spiritual life, whatever the fuck that is. (will I edit that line… no, I won’t’) I blame the stupid people for all the cursing going on in my head today!

And Jesus said unto them “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Pray ye not on the 50-yard line lest ye be seen as smug prigs”. (Who is unseen? Hmmm, I wonder….) 😊

Woman ‘branded witch by faith leader and accused of giving mother cancer’ tells of ordeal.

Why are Republicans so obsessed with your gender?

Christian Nationalists gather to spread the big lie.

Thanks more stupid people for moving my cursing mind from tragedy back to comedy.

World of Woo: I needed my Vuity eye-drops after I read about the Emotional Freedom Technique.

Environment: Humanity locked in a ‘spiral of self-destruction’ unless we change our perception of risk, UN says. How much is climate change to blame for heatwaves in South Asia?

What Is the legal principle known as Church Autonomy Doctrine?

Eliminating medical conscience rights threaten human dignity and the freedom to love.

In Academia, Equality is not the same as Equity.

As Creation stories go, the Big Bang Is a good one.

Twitter: not even Elon Musk is wealthy enough to bring absolute free speech to the platform.

Rediscovering Cārvāka, India’s 2,700-Year-Old Atheistic Tradition.

What did Neanderthals evolve from?

Long Reads:  I disagreed with this article on “Polytheism Versus Monotheism: Building Bridges Between Polytheism and Atheism” upon reading the first few lines but I kept on reading. The Intellectual and moral courage of atheism (from the new Dawkins website). From the Arab Spring to Russian censorship: a decade of internet blackouts and repression. The book that sank on the Titanic and burned in the Blitz. The split-body problem on how life reproduces itself.

Sunday Book Club:  That’s Not How You Wash a Squirrel. I will reread some random stories from it.

Some photographs taken last week.  Some photos from Ukraine.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  The psychological tricks that make cults so dangerous.  What are Atheism and Secularism? – a talk by Michael Nugent to Irish school children. What’s the opposite of a gun?

Have a great week everyone!

There is a Jewish woman who, in WW2, the Russians saved from the German Nazis and she resettled in Ukraine. This year Germans saved her from Russian Nazis and she has now been resettled in Germany.

Strega

Thanks Reg!

Cheers Strega!

jakelafort
    Participant

It ain’t same being jewish from here to Timbuktu or Portland, Oregon for that matter.

On the other hand to distinguish the bad guys from the good guys ya need a scorecard and a clock.

Unseen
    Participant

Regarding the coach who prays, here’s what people will say: “It’s okay to take a knee during the national anthem to protest racism but it needs to be illegal for a coach to take a knee to pray?”

Of course, we know the distinction, but you can be sure it’s lost on many.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

A very disturbing story from Russia. Putin is not just ‘Taking the Donbass but no further’:

Prominent Russian TV presenter says war ‘against Europe and the world’ is on the way following Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine
    https://www.businessinsider.com/pro-putin-presenter-war-against-europe-world-coming-after-ukraine-2022-4

Fortunately, at least one more person has seen the light about NATO and the United Nations:

Ukrainian Defense Minister Says International Security Organizations Have Failed

Ukrainian defense minister says international security organizations have failed

And for some of the latest news on the latest religion, the Wokeists can’t even leave us in peace at the Goddamn breakfast table:

‘When did they cut his dreads?’: Beloved Apple Jacks mascot CinnaMon loses his dreadlocks—fans are furious

‘He was the best part of the ad cause he was chill and the apple wasn’t.’

‘When did they cut his dreads?’: Beloved Apple Jacks mascot CinnaMon loses his dreadlocks—fans are furious

Back in the Nineties, CinnaMon would have been called the Joe Camel of Ganja, luring kiddies to smoke weed and satisfy “the munchies” with Apple Jacks. (The D.A.R.E. Crowd were into silliness like this.)

Now they evidently went after CinnaMon for ‘cultural appropriation’ (or ‘species appropriation?’) of dread-locks! This poor character just can’t win against all da self-appointed “Sheriff John Browns” and “Johnny Too Bads” who need to “Lively Up Themselves,” Mon! 🌿😎

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Spelling. You can't let yourself get too mellow
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Addendum

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

A very popular T-Shirt in my neck of the woods says: “Stand For The Flag! Kneel For The Cross!”

I’m thinking of making my own T-Shirt that says: “I don’t stand or kneel! I just sit down and think!” Complete with Auguste Rodin’s “The Thinker” in the center.

As many oldsters as there are in the U.S., as well as the growing crowd of “Nones,” this could be even more popular!

Hell, we might even get people to sitting down and thinking their way out of spending money on “Bread and Circuses” games and into solving a whole lot of problems.

_Robert_
    Participant

Unseen, A very popular T-Shirt in my neck of the woods says: “Stand For The Flag! Kneel For The Cross!” I’m thinking of making my own T-Shirt that says: “I don’t stand or kneel! I just sit down and think!” Complete with Auguste Rodin’s “The Thinker” in the center. As many oldsters as there are in the U.S., as well as the growing crowd of “Nones,” this could be even more popular! Hell, we might even get people to sitting down and thinking their way out of spending money on “Bread and Circuses” games and into solving a whole lot of problems.

Too bad we can’t just ditch all the flags, crosses and all other ideological symbols and somehow become a rational species.

ysumlin
    Participant

I can go with this T-shirt that says that “I sit and think” because all of the other’s are braindead, with their belief centered around “Manifest Destiny and the white man’s country or should I say the white man’s world, or the white man’s burden, because if we are truly honest, this is what all of this madness is all about. We often pretend this is not the case and we try to justify ourselves as not being racists, angry, stereotypical, Anti-American or all of the other patriotic B/S that has shaped the way that this country and the rest of the world functions. Anything that promotes equality and fair justice for all humans the opposing side who is often against this, are the people who calls themselves white, if you really want them to become totally unhinged label it anything Black and you bring out the worse as if someone denied their rights and civil liberties where these very white people have discriminated, denied rights, oppressed, demeaned, and every form of dehumanization around the world and yet they say those who are fighting to be included in the 14th amendment are the problem.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  ysumlin.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert and Ysumlin,

The T-Shirt would be a very versatile one to address a wide variety of irrational movements afoot in our society. It could address the “Lost Causer” standing for his Confederate Flag and Civil War Statue, singing praises to “Dixieland” and “old times there are not forgotten.”

Or it could address the Wokester demanding you stand and raise a fist for the destruction of your city and even neighborhood when you’re just trying to enjoy your Applebee’s Bourbon Street Steak Salad in peace.

Or it could address the one who wants you to stand and kneel multiple times with them at your local Catholic or Episcopal Church when your knees are about ground out and you could use metal joints more than prayer.

Or it could address the multi-million Dollar athlete who probably never went without a day in his life who takes a knee on the field for the insensitive comment du jour, yet never sends a Cent to help the falsely accused get justice or to help the budding entrepreneur fighting a petty regulation that keeps her from styling hair without a State license.

In other words, the T-Shirt would be a standard-bearer against a world gone brainless and an example for youth and vulnerable to follow before they do something stupid.

Davis

Wokester demanding you stand and raise a fist for the destruction of your city

I swear you could write the click bait generating headlines for vile rags claiming to be newspapers/sites.

jakelafort
    Participant

Enco, great idea for a t-shirt conditioned on a disclaimer that the originator is stuck in a religious mode of thinking with his own special construct of reality, operating on confirmation bias, and impervious to criticism.

Strega

That’d need an XXL size, Jake, and even then it’d be a squeeze

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Davis,

Except that no one could possibly do as good a job at writing headlines as reality itself. And is “The Paper of Record,” and The Eyeball Network home of “Uncle Walter” just sensationalist trash-peddlers?

Opinion 
    I was the woman surrounded by BLM protesters at a D.C. restaurant. Here’s why I didn’t raise my fist.
    By Lauren Victor
    September 3, 2020
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/lauren-victor-diner-dc-black-lives-matter-protesters/2020/09/03/fa0368de-ee21-11ea-ab4e-581edb849379_story.html

BLM Protesters Scream at Diners Outside NYC Restaurant
    https://nypost.com/2021/04/21/blm-protesters-scream-at-diners-outside-nyc-restaurant/

Pittsburgh Police Reviewing Viral Video Showing Clash Between Protesters And Restaurant Patrons
    https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/pittsburgh-protesters-restaurant-patrons-clash/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.