Sunday School

Sunday School April 15th 2018

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

It must be great to be able to decide when you want to meet with POTUS so you can get your polices implemented. Who could organize such an event?

The number of Americans with no religious affliction affiliation is rising.

Islam and Secularism in France.

Queer Disbelief continues to pair atheists and LGBTQ communities as allies.

Mike Pompeo pairs Muslims and Jews as allies.

Another “anti-gay” pastor and liar for Jesus is found guilty of child molestation.

Ken Ham is having trouble finding deluded people to work at his Ark lark in the park.

The ignorance of some Catholic apologists is matched only by their vulgar piety. Can you pick out 10 errors in these arguments? This sad letter reveals how deluded many Catholic women become. As for atheist moms – you got to respect them. Fortunately many women have abandoned the idea of a fabled white messiah and come to see that they are their own salvation. Some even become atheist chaplains in hospitals. I suspect The Cuddly One will blame Catholic divisions on the devil.

This weeks’ Woo: Anti-vaccine reviewers target children’s books on Amazon.

Climate Change: 97% consensus? More like 99.94% a study finds. NASA has a video of global warming in action.

Evidence for the March of Science.

I have no problem disagreeing with hypersensitive progressives.

How do we control dangerous biological research?

I need to be careful what I write here as someone called MacGuffin is tracking my every word. At least my robot says she thinks she can empathize with me.

Why is the Human brain so efficient?

Consider for a moment that the quantum internet will be the brain of the planet and each quantum computer will be a neuron connected to it and to every other quantum computer. Spooky action, nearby…

What if Homo sapiens were not the first civilization on Earth?

Syria: who is involved and what do they want?

Some photographs taken last week.

We pause to remember….John Sulston.

This week I am reading this book.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  What “self” should I learn to know? How dogma pollutes discourse. Ted Talk -Why incompetent people think they’re amazing.

_Robert_
    Participant

Regarding:

“The Number of Americans with No Religious Affiliation Is Rising”

I can say I detect this in my daily life, however it is slight. I overhear less preaching. Someone at work was posting daily verses on their whiteboard; that has been stopped with a global email. However, I fear that nonsense conspiracy theory is the replacement. So many people saying such “whacked out” crap, all the time. The REALLY believe in such bullshit. Bigfoot, ancient aliens, ghosts, astrology, whacked out medical crap. WTF?

In my own mind I used to seperate belief in gods and belief in “woo” – astrology, tarot cards, homeopathy etc. but really they are all just different forms of magical thinking. I too find that many people who now define themselves as non-religious (as opposed to using the term “atheist”) can easily substitute another form of “woo” to replace their former faith.

The thing is that faith does not need a replacement. You don’t need to replace a ball and chain around your ankles with anything once you gain your freedom. You just need to learn to think freely. The reason so many get involved with other types of woo or magical thinking is that they have not discovered how to think critically. They discard one form of woo for another without knowing they are still not using the power of reason. Nobody ever reasons themselves into the world of woo, it is just that they have no training or defenses against it.  They still take everything on faith. I have also met plenty of theists that take their astrological “star readings” seriously. They do not see the contradiction there any more than they do when they substitute their “lost faith” with the next woo to come along.  (see also the MacGuffin link in today’s post).

Daniel W.
    Participant

@regthefronkeyfarmer, thanks as always for a nice list of readings.  Something to expand the mind and sometimes reassure the critical thinker.

On yet another antigay child molesting pastor, I like Dan Savage’s statement.  “If kids got raped by clowns as often as they get raped by preachers it would be against the law to take your kids to the circus.”  twitter  I’m not sure about the name of the twitter account, if it’s fake or a joke by Savage.

On disagreeing with hypersensitive progressives,  I don’t know what to call myself any more.  I try to think critically and have a humanistic  point of view that I temper with history and science.  I consider racism vile and thoughtless, I don’t support super rich people and corporations taking over the world, and mostly in favor of government supporting medical care for all, full equality for LGBT people, and equal opportunity for all.  But the word “progressive” makes me think more and more of intolerant people and coddled academics coming up with what seems like increasing intolerance for other points of view.  It starts to feel like a kind of  bizarre reverse Puritanism.  I forget where, but I recently read an editorial about “progressive” vs. “liberal”, about the idea that conservatives had so effectively demonized liberals that people quit wanting to use the term, and many embraced “progressive” as a new label.  However, they don’t mean the same thing, and I suspect the pigeon hole for me is still “liberal”.  Not that I’m a pigeon.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Pat Condell has a few ideas about “Progressives“.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.