Sunday School

Sunday School August 23rd 2020

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I hope that the first International Apostasy Day was a success. Yesterday was also the International Day for victims of acts of violence based on Religion or Belief.

For white evangelical Christians human rights for “others” still feels like a loss of privilege for them.

Can non-belief and Islam co-exist in black communities?

Another church disobeys their gods’ commandment to “love their neighbor” as the sheep first try to infect each other before going back to their communities.

The Cuddly One is the holy orgasmatron for nuns.

Would the Supreme Court ever consider imposing a Blasphemy Law?

This weeks’ Woo: The Bible based Hallelujah Diet.

Climate Crisis: Thirty years ago we were warned. Now is our last chance to listen.

Beliefs have a social purpose. Does this explain delusions?

What exactly is a Virus?

A theology student has some questions for us.

My prophesy is that the right wing nutjobs will be going crazy with this story by November 1st.  Many have tipped over the line already.

Magic was once seen as equal to science and religion.

On the dual nature of reality.

Long Reads:  COVID-19 myths that just won’t go away. Forgiveness as a form of therapy. ‘White supremacy’ was behind child separations. An Epicurean perspective towards death. A radical new model of the brain illuminates its wiring. My nonbinary child.

This week I am reading this book: Natural and Artificial Flavors: What’s the Difference?

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  Secular Democrats of America. A very good TedTalk: The gospel of doubt.

Have a great week everyone!

If you can’t determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.

Strega

Thanks, Reg 🙂

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I always think that deslusions, certainly psychiatric ones, aren’t completely illogical.  They may be fixed, and resistant to contradictory information, but that’s not the same thing.

For example, in normal everyday life, we are all monitored constantly by each other and by ourselves and by society.  It’s normal and routine to be monitored.  Grandiosity is not a defence against depression in my opinion.  It’s just an amplification of the “mattering instinct” whereby we all matter to ourselves.

Conspiracy theories are something different, because they usually happen in a “well” person.  I don’t go in for these, so I don’t know why people start holding them.  It seems to me like, something to do.

Davis
    Participant

Social purposes doesn’t mean that they are necessarily good. Racism has a social purpose. Mob violence has a social purpose. Believing that an Albino is a witch that will curse your children…has a social purpose. Some of these social purposes are purposes that don’t serve humanity and should be cast away…their social purpose be damned.

I do not believe that there is a clear distinction between “beliefs” (and extreme vague term by the way) and “delusions”. Christianity is just a “belief” which is an enormous set of lets say, hundreds of institutionalised delusions.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Davis.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Delusions may not be good, but there’s usually some kind of explanation why people hold them, that is logical in itself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.