Sunday School

Sunday School December 30th 2018

This topic contains 33 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Simon Paynton
    Participant

“Why don’t we all go outside now and commit suicide?”

I think that if someone commits suicide, it’s because there’s something making them do it.  In other words, left to our own devices, we experience an overwhelming pressure to survive.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

What is the meaning of “meaning”?

The “meaning” of a word is the thing that it signifies by use of a sound and arrangement of letters.

I think the “emotional” meaning of something is the way that that thing is relvant to our goals.  So, a beautiful flower may be seen by a religious person as relevant to transcendent goals such as God’s plan (i.e. goals) of providence for the human race.

Noel
    Participant

The First thing that pops to my head is Why? Why should I go outside and commit suicide?  To which my brain just says “Oh, Hell No!”. But then again back in the day in a place called Jones Town, in the South American country of Guiana, someone did say, “Why don’t we go outside and commit suicide?” and they did. Like fucking Lemmings. Then there were the yahoo’s in California? who wanted to meet the mother ship and when someone said, “Why don’t we go outside and commit suicide?” they all did in order to meet the mothership. I just wonder what meaning these people found in that.

Can catscans show the difference between a theist brain and an atheist brain? You know, like it can show the differences between an alcoholics brain and a normal brain? Cause I can just imagine all kinds of colors going on in the theist brains.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

What is the meaning of “meaning”?

I think the other meaning of “meaning” is “signifying”.  The two definitions (relevance to goals, signifying) can overlap.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.