Sunday School

Sunday School January 7th 2018

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Here is a list of countries of particular concern under the International Religious Freedom Act.

This atheist scores an A.

There was a small atheist conference this week in Tamil Nadu that spoke about rationalism.

In Poland the far-right are worried about migrants and atheists.

Eight reasons to be thankful for the religious right.

This Christian just couldn’t handle Poseidon’s erection.

Islam and Christianity are not compatible with Evolution. You either believe in the Creation Myth or you accept the truth that we are an evolved species. What do Mormons think about it?

This weeks’ Woo: What is evidence-based medicine and why Homeopathy cures don’t hold water.

Climate Change: Scientists can now blame individual natural disasters on it.

Following up on a post this week, here is a story about human migration into North America.

That matter of getting something from nothing.

It’s a fact that something matters.

If you live in a modern Dystopia then nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

The growth of mainstream conservative conspiracy theories.

It’s a good thing scientists don’t think like many lawyers.

Does alien life exist and what is it the government is not telling us about UFO investigations. It is a big place out there. Here is one of the best articles about the Fermi Paradox which I linked before in an old Sunday School.

My New Year’s resolution is to read a minimum of 12 of these 100 books and not attend any of these 100 churches.

Songs by Miles Davis and Deep Purple have been stored in……..DNA.

Some photographs taken last week.

We pause to remember Recy Taylor.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video: You are not at the mercy of your emotions. We should all be feminists. Did Jesus really exist? Stephen Colbert on a certain new book.

Have a great week everyone!!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

_Robert_
    Participant

Regarding “It’s a good thing scientists don’t think like many lawyers”

The judge asked if any of the potential jurors objected to that. I did. “I’m a scientist,” I explained, “and I need more evidence than that.” So, I was shown the door.

Same thing happened to me. They asked my occupation. I said electrical engineer. I was immediately dismissed by the defense.  I guess I will never have to sit on a jury.

Daniel W.
    Participant

Great list Reg!  Thank you. I will continue reading them.

I was told to report to jury duty but could not go due to illness. They probably would not have taken me anyway.

On lawyers…
    “Lawyers occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.” – Winston Churchill

from http://www.iciclesoftware.com/LawJokes/IcicleLawJokes.html

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by  Daniel W..

Strega

Too funny, Robert. I actually sat on a jury in London UK once, and at one point got to handle a four pound bag of cocaine as it was passed around us.  (Many joked that there was a little less than four pounds when it was handed back).

I recommend everyone do jury service once, if they can.  It’s a wild experience, the lawyers need the jury to like them, so everything they say is addressed to the jury, and often laced with humor – usually irony or sarcasm, but definitely entertaining.

In DC, two lawyers collided at the street corner. “Hello”, they lied to each other.

Daniel W.
    Participant

That Slate post is wonderful reading. Really thoughtful and analytical, filled with excellent skeptical thought. It also shows that even the scientists who study how we sort out facts and truth, can be subjected to the same forces and biases as everyone else. The article also gave me some hope, that many people do respond to facts, especially if presented well.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

even the scientists who study how we sort out facts and truth, can be subjected to the same forces and biases as everyone else.

– I would say, these would be crappy scientists, if not actually dishonest.  Scientists are surely supposed to be a lot better at discerning the pure unvarnished truth, than the rest of us, as part of the scientific method itself.

Science is a method of discovery. It is the best one we have. It is not a collection of facts. It is not up to scientists to determine any ultimate truth of anything. If we have an opinion then we probably have a bias towards that opinion. The discoveries of Science give us our current best understanding of some area of life but if a scientist claims anything as an absolute then he is wrong. Richard Feynman had an opinion about Science and about what it can tell us.

Zweifel
    Participant

@Reg – your lawyer joke reminds me of another. The difference between a New Yorker and an Angeleno is when a New Yorker says Fuck you he really means good morning. When an Angeleno says Good morning he really means fuck you.

Daniel W.
    Participant

@regthefronkeyfarmer I don’t blame you for not wanting to attend those 100 churches.  I won’t be there either.  The bickering in the comments is kind of funny.

I’ve only read a few of those books. I also have a “Must read” list, some of which I’ve read several times, not on that list.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by  Daniel W..

Spectator

@regthefronkeyfarmer

the Ted talk “You are not at the mercy of your emotions.” Was really good but it left me really confused and honestly with more questions than answers.

Spectator

Wow. I didn’t know Hellenism was a thing. Is that a joke? Lol

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I am a proud Helenist – *wince* –

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.