Sunday School

Sunday School 30th May 2021

This topic contains 29 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Just checked in again to find we have been resurrected on the first day so here is a late edition of Sunday School.

A judge has ruled against a Christian college being permitted to discriminate against the neighbors they refuse to show any love towards.

A Texas firm with Christian values petitions court for a “religious exemption” to fire LGBTQ people. Maybe they should call Bill Barr to their defense.

Why are the moral standards of religious people not similar? If objective ethical values exist, we’ll have to give up tribalism to realize them.

The religious threat to global human rights must be taken seriously.

The TV news that different faiths and those with no imaginary gods watch.

World of Woo: I overheard a woman talking about how great her Reiki session was.

Environment: Earth Is barrelling toward 1.5 Degrees Celsius of warming.

I am telling any anti-VAX idiots I meet that if they are afraid of “vaccine shredding” then they should wear a mask and stay as far away from me as possible because I am a super-shredder!

Aliens remain as silent as any god. Both are still nothing.

DNA: The Ultimate Data-Storage Solution.

Is a grand theory of everything finally within reach?

Self-knowledge is a super power – if it’s not an illusion.

Small-scale warfare began in the Stone Age, a new study suggests.

Long Reads: How Washington got hooked on Flying Saucers. The “Most Favored Nation” approach to the First Amendment. On exporting abusive Catholic priests. How your name affects your personality. Bart Ehrman says Heaven and Hell are “Not what Jesus preached”.

Who is Gulalai Ismail?

This week I will order this book: Climate, Catastrophe, and Faith: How Changes in Climate Drive Religious Upheaval.

Some photographs taken last week. Photographs of the Milky Way.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Podcast: Sam Harris speaks with Antonio García-Martínez.

Coffee Break Video:  This is a recording of a recent online talk on the Life, Times and Work of Charles Darwin. When we agree about our hallucinations, we call it “reality.”

Have a great week everyone!!

jakelafort
    Participant

Sunday School delayed is sunday school denied.

@jakelafort – if you are looking for your umbrella, I, the unjust, have it.

“The rain it raineth on the just
    And also on the unjust fella;
    But chiefly on the just, because
    The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.”

_Robert_
    Participant

The photographs taken last week speak volumes about our inability to improve as a species.

jakelafort
    Participant

Reg, just so, i knew you’d know but i couldn’t let it go.

Davis

The photographs taken last week speak volumes about our inability to improve as a species.

You always have the hope, of course, that humanity can (and with some lasting stability) overcome many of our serious flaws, but I certainly wouldn’t bet a lot of money on it. I frequently wonder what kind of life there is on other planets. Did intelligent life emerge from something other than natural selection? If not, did any of them manage to emerge without the crippling bi-products of the evolutionary process? We’ve reached an astounding level of scientific knowledge and wealth and yet half the world lives in borderline deprivation, the majority of women around the world are treated as inferior things and it seems like our planet will be on fire in a century or so. My life is alright. Billions of people’s lives aren’t. That makes me sad as a fellow human and I would imagine if other being were around, I’d be embarrassed too.

Strega

Thanks Reg!

Autumn
    Participant

I am telling any anti-VAX idiots I meet that if they are afraid of “vaccine shredding” then they should wear a mask and stay as far away from me as possible because I am a super-shredder!

Some of the anti-vaccine protests have been interesting, to say the least. One of the protests in Vancouver a little over a month ago was some weird combination of anti-mask and anti-trans protestors with a smattering of xenophobic nationalists sprinkled in. On the surface, their respective issues didn’t seem to overlap much apart from a shared sense that they were fighting an oppressive government. I suspect one just piggybacked onto the other as neither has that much vocal support.

I do understand people having concerns with how the various levels of government have handled certain issues. I think that’s healthy to a certain degree. But some of the shit being said really makes you wonder how anyone could believe it. My default assumption isn’t that people are stupid; it’s a suspicion that they believe things to be true because on some emotional level they need them to be true. And that doesn’t just shrink the gap between the incredible and the plausible; it actually morphs the unbelievable into the self-evident truth.

Like a lot of people, though, when I hear some people talking about how they will socially distance themselves from those who are vaccinated, the larger part of me thinks, “Fuck, please do.”

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Fret not about the late Sunday School.   As much as I always enjoy it, I also fully understand that it’s educational and entertainment  content is not guaranteed and not mine by right.

Though it did irk me not to see it at first, I take things like this in stride and my patience was rewarded.  Thank you for coming through. 😁

Today as I type in the United States of America, it is Memorial Day.

Though too many of us actually have cookouts, picnics, beer bashes, and fireworks on this day and the weekend days before, I never was comfortable with that.

Memorial Day, correctly understood, is a day to remember the U.S.A.’s fallen in combat.

Veteran’s Day, correctly understood, is more a day to celebrate the living who served and fought for the U.S.A.

And both days, correctly understood, should be days to think about how we can assure there are no more of either combatants, veterans, or civilians physically mangled, mentally mangled, or senselessly killed in war.

I think about all of our fallen in combat at this time, including the fallen in combat whose existence is too often denied:

Atheists In Foxholes–Freedom From Religion Foundation    https://ffrf.org/outreach/atheists-in-foxholes/

Though our fallen in combat don’t have either physical or spiritual immortality, they live on through everything that is free, good, and right about the U.S.A. that they left behind.  And they live on when we the living fight to make and keep the U.S.A. free, good, and right.

My kindest and highest thoughts go out to the U.S.A.’s fallen in combat this Memorial Day!  🇺🇸💜

_Robert_
    Participant

You always have the hope, of course, that humanity can (and with some lasting stability) overcome many of our serious flaws, but I certainly wouldn’t bet a lot of money on it. I frequently wonder what kind of life there is on other planets. Did intelligent life emerge from something other than natural selection? If not, did any of them manage to emerge without the crippling bi-products of the evolutionary process? We’ve reached an astounding level of scientific knowledge and wealth and yet half the world lives in borderline deprivation, the majority of women around the world are treated as inferior things and it seems like our planet will be on fire in a century or so. My life is alright. Billions of people’s lives aren’t. That makes me sad as a fellow human and I would imagine if other being were around, I’d be embarrassed too.

Yes. The Bible may very well be correct about one thing. We are inherently flawed. Not because of a talking snake and a dire warning over a tasty apple.

Yes we are flawed because of the mechanism of our progression, as you mentioned. If there are other mechanisms beside evolution that give rise to intelligent life, these aliens might instantly end us if they came around our galaxy, knowing what they know.

As far as ‘us’ knowing much about the universe(s)… yeah maybe, maybe not, LOL. Also, I don’t hold any hope for the US as a nation; our time is over. I just hope the slide down is slower than it appears to be.

jakelafort
    Participant

Robert’s-. Also, I don’t hold any hope for the US as a nation; our time is over. I just hope the slide down is slower than it appears to be.

I can’t understand your pessimism. The time tested and still cherished free marketplace of ideas will come to our rescue.

_Robert_
    Participant

Robert’s-. Also, I don’t hold any hope for the US as a nation; our time is over. I just hope the slide down is slower than it appears to be. I can’t understand your pessimism. The time tested and still cherished free marketplace of ideas will come to our rescue.

IMHO, the median level of civility and integrity present in US society is too low for successful  self governance.

jakelafort
    Participant

Robert i was tongue in cheek. The notion of a free marketplace of ideas is itself a repudiation of the notion. I am often amazed at how putative intellectuals trot it out as valid.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

The National Secular Society may have spoke a bit too soon in finding a correlation between British/European Colonialism and anti-LGBTQ+ persecution in former colonies.

No doubt, Colonialism was a raw deal for all concerned (including the colonizing nations; Free-Marketeers Adam Smith, Richard Cobden, and John Bright all pointed out it is much cheaper and easier to trade for raw materials than to militarily occupy for them.)

However, anti-LGBTQ+ sentiment existed in the texts and rules of many living world religions prevailing in the former colonies for centuries or even thousands of years before Colonialism.

A Fundamentalist Christian Homophobe on another Forum I’m on engaged in some rare Ecumenical/Interfaith outreach by citing the anti-LGBTQ+ writings below.  How broad-minded of him!  (Reader Advisory: Not pleasant:)

The Torah/The Holy Bible, The Old Testament, Leviticus 20:13:

“If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.”

Al-Hadith, Abu Dawud 38:444, Islamic text documenting the words and deeds of Mohommed and his followers:

“If a man who is not married is seized committing sodomy, he will be stoned to death.”

The Great Chariot  by Longchempa, Tibetan Buddhist Teacher (1308–1363) :

“The ten kinds of wholesome actions lead to the higher realms.
    Their wholesome intention avoids the ten unwholesome ones.
    Cutting off life is avoided, and taking what is not given.
    Wrongful sex is avoided, and also lies and slander.
    Speech is not harsh or frivolous. Thoughts are not covetous.
    We keep far away from malice and wrong views.
    Sexual transgressors are born in crowded places,
    Miry swamps that are full of urine and excrement,
    Nasty places of stinking filth and sticky defilement.
    They are cramped and depressed in places without joy.”

Śūraṅgama Sūtra: Mahayana Buddhist Sūtra, Circa 705-713 C.E.:

“In order to clear the path to enlightenment, one has to remove sexual desires. Those desires include both sexual desires to other men and sexual desires to women. They also include sexual desires to other beings, to objects.”

The Holy Bible, The New Testament, Romans 1: 26-27:

“26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: So God let them follow their own desires.  Their women changed their natural use into something unatural.
    27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.”

Srimad Bhagavatam, a revered text in Vaishnavism, a Hindu tradition that reveres Vishnu, Circa 6th-10th Century C.E.:

“Text 23: Lord Brahmā then gave birth to the (masculine) demons from his buttocks, and they were very fond of sex. Because they were too lustful, they approached him for copulation.
    Text 24: The worshipful Brahmā first laughed at their stupidity, but finding the shameless asuras close upon him, he grew indignant and ran in great haste out of fear.
    Text 25: He approached the Personality of Godhead, who bestows all boons and who dispels the agony of His devotees and of those who take shelter of His lotus feet. He manifests His innumerable transcendental forms for the satisfaction of His devotees.
    Text 26: Lord Brahmā, approaching the Lord, addressed Him thus: My Lord, please protect me from these sinful demons, who were created by me under Your order. They are infuriated by an appetite for sex and have come to attack me.”

The Colonizers may have given the colonies a new legal foundation and new legal teeth for anti-LGBTQ+ persecution, but this persecution preceded the Colonizers by a long shot of time.

(I, of course, told the Bible-Thumper that all of these quotes belong on the walls in a museum side-by-side with burning stakes, stick-bundles, racks, thumb-screws, Iron Maidens, drawing-and-quartering straps, chopping blocks, stoning piles, guillotines, and other relics of inhumanity.  He was much more gingerly with his knuckle-dragging views after that. 😎)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.