Sunday School

Sunday School 22nd November 2020

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 6 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

A study finds religious freedom is an area of unity in a divided America.

There seems to be a concerted effort by the Catholic Church to allow themselves to host mass-spreading events – England , New York. In Ireland, COVID-19 is a mass murderer as the police warn a priest that he will be fined or jailed if he continues. In Serbia, a Christian leader dies from COVID-19 after hosting a super spreader open casket funeral. Why don’t they all just use the same vaccine as John Hagee? It might be better than the real vaccine which apparently removes the God Factor from your DNA.

Cardinal Ray Burke is on a crusade against Biden, the democrat who happens to be Catholic. Jimmy Carter is known as a man of faith, but not many Americans understand the depth of his belief in the separation of church and state.

Arguments based upon religious conviction should not be used to justify discrimination or the denial of civil rights or basic human services. That is not religious freedom. It is religious privilege when someone like Justice Alito flouts his ethical obligations to assist in the prevention of equality to minorities under Law.

When people already believe they can communicate with the Creator of the Universe via telepathy, it is no surprise that they will accept other ideas at face value. However, QAnon is not just a conspiracy theory but the birth of a new religion. It will begin to rot Evangelical faiths from the inside because it is now at the heart of many of them. Many millennials have already #iLeftBecause.

Secularism isn’t the absence of religion. It’s the creation of a democratic space for them to compete so that none dominates. Yes, and the State remains an impartial referee. There are now more Atheists in State and Federal Office than ever before, so things are looking up.

This weeks’ Woo: Operation Lemon Meringue 😊

Climate Crisis: How climate change is affecting Mount Everest.

Can good science be constrained by rationalism?

Mask wearing and moral foundation theory.

The ethical questions facing facial-recognition research. None of these familiar looking people are involved in the research.

Scientists say they have partially reversed the cellular ageing process.

Art helps sustains us when survival is uncertain.

Long Reads:  The different forms of COVID-19 misinformation and their consequences. Life on an Irish island during COVID-19. I wonder if Mount Kenya was one of the first gods our species worshiped. You can’t run away from homesickness.

This week I will read this book: When modern medicine goes too far.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  TedTalk: How to be fearless in the face of authoritarianism. The role of ghosts in the election. Sorry but I just have to post another version of Trumps’ spiritual advisor because CAT!!.

Have a great week everyone!

_Robert_
    Participant

Hey, How Y’all doing? Crazy times! Thought I would hit up good ‘ole Sunday School with my bitter coffee today. Great articles Reg, thanks. I am avoiding all social media this election cycle. My GF who is of like mind was dragging me into all sorts of brutal political exchanges with former 3D friends who have become right wing maniacs and started hurling unsolicited insults at liberals in general and us specifically… so I told her you go ahead, I am out…and frankly what’s the point, LOL? I’ll focus on home improvements. Social media has lost it’s luster.

And unbelievably the election is somehow still not over yet as we literally watch a “so-called democracy” begin to fail.

Staying safe, and when this pandemic is finally over, it won’t matter much as far as the social life anyways. Here’s to future new acquaintances with people of intelligence! There has to be a few in Florida, I guess, right? Seriously I want out of hurricane central (we will need to use the Babylonian alphabet to name storms soon) but one of us has ‘thin blood’. Cheers.

Great to hear from you Robert. Even on this side of the pond I have encountered right wing conspiracy nutjobs who up until recently seemed to be normal and reasonable people. Now I guess they are the new normal people.

America said “No” to Trump on election day and “No” again during the recounts and in the courts  but he seems intent on continuing to force himself upon her.

I am usually in Florida (Panama City Beach) for Thanksgiving week but not this year.  Staying safe is still the priority. I just hope that not too many will travel this week as infection rates are still climbing and there is no need to exacerbate the problem. But I am not too optimistic about that.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg, Great story on lengthening the telemeres!  It reminds me of when people in my community as a kid thought that Mel Brooks’ and Carl Reiner’s cartoon The 2,000-Year-Old Man was blasphemous.  I guess because it contradicted the legend of Methuseleh at age 969 and the Post-Flood limit that man is only meant to live “three score and ten.”

Maybe one day, we can say: “Hey, Ben…What was all this about death and taxes?”

Unseen
    Participant

Regarding Study finds religious freedom is an area of unity in a divided America, while the vast majority of Americans agree on the importance of free speech (a concept interpreted so broadly as to include a variety of expressive activities), how religious folks want to apply their right can vary widely from the attitudes of the more secular segment of the public. Religious folks can want to apply their attitudes to effect their religious goals, which could, for example, involve oppressing gays.

@theencogitationer….I just don’t think Scientists will ever come up with a cure for taxes 🙂

Unseen, yes I think that is mostly true. We are free to say their imaginary gods are pathetic to have such attitudes. And I do. To their bigoted faces whenever I hear them spew such sentiments, even to the point of being threatened with arrest. But officer, they are the ones with the book demanding we kill gay people. You should arrest them and stay out of my face or I will sue you all the way to the European Court.

Davis

Hey Robert great to see you again. Yeah forums of rabid political anger are almost always a cosmic waste of time and emotions.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Thought you were dead @robert

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Unseen, yes I think that is mostly true. We are free to say their imaginary gods are pathetic to have such attitudes. And I do. To their bigoted faces whenever I hear them spew such sentiments, even to the point of being threatened with arrest. But officer, they are the ones with the book demanding we kill gay people. You should arrest them and stay out of my face or I will sue you all the way to the European Court.

Arrested?  On what charge?  Mere statement of a viewpoint shouldn’t get you arrested in the U.S….Or is this in Europe, since you mentioned the European Court?

Me, I just state my viewpoint if I have to and make sure I’m at least two arm’s length away…which is what people are supposed to do anyway with COVID-19.  But make the other party exert all the effort to come to you, and if they touch you, you’re within your rights to defend yourself.  This will  mean they are the ones to ride uptown with Officer Friendly.

_Robert_
    Participant

Thanks all,

It is nice to take a break from all these electronic communication platforms for a while. I have 72 unread texts and about 50 unanswered calls on my phone and yet life still goes on. I often think about going totally off-grid, but I guess that is a bit too drastic…..However reading a good book by candlelight is a good approximation 😉

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Mask wearing and moral foundation theory.

This is an interesting real-world application of a philosophical theory.  It makes sense that when someone violates a moral foundation, it’s seen as wrong.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.