Sunday School

Sunday School 9th January 2022

This topic contains 52 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 1 day, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, PTSD, and a host of psychology labels are in the simplest terms, most convenient definitions.

Most of these things seem to be spectrums.  People with BPD are sometimes comorbid with narcissism and/or antisocial personality disorder (exploits others materially).  I knew someone with ASPD who has a marked lack of fear, like a psychopath.

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon says: Most of these things seem to be spectrums. People with BPD are sometimes comorbid with narcissism and/or antisocial personality disorder (exploits others materially). I knew someone with ASPD who has a marked lack of fear, like a psychopath.

Not sure when notion of spectrums arose but i suspect that is a better way to conceive any number of disorders. The fact that there are so many overlapping symptoms suggests that those simple terms and convenient labels are the product of a pseudo science and the current framing of a sort-of science.

I’ve noticed a few BPD and narcissism kissing up against each other. As to ASPD i was under the impression it is synonymous with psychopathology. Then again i was under the impression the 9 was going to hold on to win the last race at Sam Houston at a juicy 14 to 1.

jakelafort
    Participant

kissing up against each other…says meself. This is what 12 hours of handicapping does to my brain.

i despise prolixity and redundancy..makes me a dunderhead

@jakelafortNo Flies on You then is there? (unless they pay rent of course).

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Simon,

There is something to be said for what you said regarding autism as a survival trait. Many things primitive man needed required repetitive motions such as rubbing sticks or boring a rut into a dry log to make an ember for a fire, knitting cordage into fur pelts to make shelter, or knocking stones together to knapp spearheads or stone tools. Repeated loud noises could serve to scare away wild predators. While this might bore or exhaust many, it would fit well aith someone on the autistic spectrum.

Also, I observed an autistic Grandson of my Grandfather’s friend carry something like 24 Motchbox cars in one hand across the room without dropping one! That would certainly have applications in a survival scenario.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

The embellishments of the story in The Onion are the “art.” The answer of “no” is the “imitating life” part.

Years ago, I believe I heard either Joyce Meyers or Sister/Mother Angelica once say that: “God does answer prayers. It’s just that sometimes, the answer is ‘no’.”

I do know for a fact is was Sister/Mother Angelica who said on Jim Bakker’s PTL (Pass The Loot) Club that: “God is for dodos.” I love it when believers do the thankless work of Atheists for us.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

As to ASPD i was under the impression it is synonymous with psychopathology.

The two terms seem to be very ill-defined in the literature.  According to my experience, psychopathy pretty much means a lack of emotion, especially negative emotion, and including moral emotion; and impulsivity.  All the recognised cluster-B personality disorders also suffer from impulsivity.  You sometimes get people with narcissism and aspd with psychopathic traits like a lack of fear or conscience.

Even though narcissists are highly emotional, you sometimes get cold-hearted people with a competitive nature, leading me to think there’s a crossover between narcissism and psychopathy.

Cluster B personality disorders include narcissism, borderline, anti-social and histrionic (“drama queen” people).

According to what I’ve read, the most dangerous combination is Borderline + ASPD, because they can’t handle their emotions, and feel entitled to take it out on others.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Also, I observed an autistic Grandson of my Grandfather’s friend carry something like 24 Motchbox cars in one hand across the room without dropping one! That would certainly have applications in a survival scenario.

It’s not much of a consolation, but people on the autistic spectrum do often have “super powers” like high intelligence.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.