Sunday School

Sunday School 9th January 2022

This topic contains 52 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Autumn
    Participant

dismiss people who think they aren’t absolutely 100% male or female as mentally ill?

Is it dismissing someone to say that they have a psychological disorder, or is it describing them? It depends how you see it.

It actually depends on whether or not they have a psychological disorder, not how you see it.

There are psychological disorders that often accompany being trans. Gender dysphoria, depression, anxiety to name a few. But being trans isn’t in itself a psychological disorder. Treating someone as if they have a mental illness when they don’t… well, hopefully you can see how that would be potentially harmful.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I was referring to gender dysphoria.

If someone has been clinically assessed by a qualified professional as having a psychological disorder, then it is descriptive of the symptoms of the condition that the patient manifests.  Its usage outside of those settings is generally abusive and most often not even accurate.

Of course when we say theists are deluded we are just being factual 🙂

Autumn
    Participant

I was referring to gender dysphoria.

I see. Across posts it ended up a touch confusing. With the way I read Unseen’s question, your reply (with the snipped quote) appeared misaligned, but in the context where we are talking about gender dysphoria rather than non-binary identities, yes, the former is a psychological disorder.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I know.  I was too brief for my own good.  My point is, should someone be condemned or dismissed for having a psychological disorder?

jakelafort
    Participant

Digression landing on mental illness is a good place to defecate on religion.

Misnomer. If it aint physical it aint.

Dualism. Religion. Nonsense. Roughly 50 yrs since homosexuality was removed from DSM. That is dispositive of how advanced the profession was/is. Circa 1900 Shrinkology took a left at Albuquerque. Retardation of progress attributed to that turn. Further blame for the stigma attendant to the labels a result of religiously infused culture. Add a dollop of free will and mutha fuckers who are afflicted are weak willed in failing to behave like grinders.

For a lay person to diagnose common disorders is not i think a big deal. Who can’t spot OCD, depression and anxiety?

Engender is a funny word, init? Seems to suggest that gender is the cause of certain behavior and by extension of things in general.

Davis

Yes, I agree (In general I find it difficult to disagree with anything you have written over the years and I do like to argue with people :-))

Indeed we are very lucky to have you here Autumn

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Your words are effervesently elegant and elevatingly eloquent! Posts like this are what teach something new and spur on new learning. I only knew three of those words you used, so that says a lot about your academic accumulation and acumen.

In the course of looking up what I didn’t know, I also came across some pages of Shakespearean insults:

The Top 87 Shakespearean Insults of All Time

The Top 87 Shakespeare Insults of All Time

This page includes a Shakespearean Insult Generator to create your own:

Shakespeare Insults–No Sweat Shakespeare
    https://nosweatshakespeare.com/resources/shakespeare-insults/

Here also are words Shakespeare either invented or put to paper for the first time, plus phrases of Shakespeare we still use without even knowing it:

Words Shakespeare Invented
    https://nosweatshakespeare.com/resources/words-shakespeare-invented/

Wokesters just don’t know what they’re missing by dissing anything from Dead White European Males. To this very day, a street kid could win a snapping contest by saying the simple words: “Villain, I have done thy mother.” (Titus Andronicus Act 4, Scene 2)

Thanks Enco – I collect new words and try to use the best ones when I can. As for insults my favorite  for a long time has been the end of one of the tirades by Hitchens on the death of that vulgar Liar for Jesus, Jerry Falwell when he said that “if you gave Jerry Falwell an enema you could bury him in a matchbox”. At the very end of this video.

_Robert_
    Participant

Autumn
    Participant
    Reg the Fronkey Farmer wrote:
    Yes, I agree (In general I find it difficult to disagree with anything you have written over the years and I do like to argue with people :-))

Indeed we are very lucky to have you here Autumn

This was always one of the best forums as far as members go of all those I’ve belonged to. Shame at some point it fractured (back when it was still TA and a bunch of old school members left to start another forum) and eventually atrophied. But I’m thankful some of the regulars from the old days stayed. I just can’t get into twitter or reddit for some reason.

Autumn
    Participant

I know. I was too brief for my own good. My point is, should someone be condemned or dismissed for having a psychological disorder?

One of those areas where our thinking on mental illness has shifted rapidly, but much of society still sees it as a stigma despite the likelihood that the majority of people will go though at least one period of mental illness in their lifetimes.

There was an article not so long ago about a potential relationship between autism and trans identities. I remember a couple of people I knew at the time getting really upset by this. I found it odd. Personally, I meet few of the basic diagnostic criteria for being on the spectrum, but if I someday found out I were, so what? I get they were concerned that this would end up another attempt to dismiss trans identities, but I don’t think the best response to that is to act scandalized by the implication some/ many/ most of us could be on the spectrum. That just contributes to the stigmatization of autism.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

That just contributes to the stigmatization of autism.

Some people think that autism has been adaptive in human prehistory, helping the species to innovate new technology etc.

Unseen
    Participant

That just contributes to the stigmatization of autism.

Some people think that autism has been adaptive in human prehistory, helping the species to innovate new technology etc.

And some people really reach for a dissertation topic that no one else has written on before, too, and that few people are well enough schooled to mount a criticism, and so come up with some fairly “out there” topics. LOL

(Take that in a lighthearted way.)

jakelafort
    Participant

Borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, PTSD, and a host of psychology labels are in the simplest terms, most convenient definitions.

Unless and until neuroscience describes the biology of the aforementioned it is just educated guessing.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.