Sunday School

Sunday School August 16th 2020

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Trump’s 2020 religious attack on Biden harks back to 1800.

American Atheists blast DeVos’s assault on Religious Freedom. As part of Project Blitz, she is trying to enrich private schools under cover of the pandemic. Jesus must be throwing up.

Atheist Ireland on the removal of religious oaths from State activities.

Pulpit Fiction and religious violence.

Wisconsin: Could you live in a society that had an atheist like Kelda Roys deciding policy for your children or would you prefer a Christian parent instead?

Christian missionaries in the Amazon are preparing to spread their faith and diseases to the remaining indigenous tribes just as they did in the past.

The belief that demons have sex with humans runs deep in Christian and Jewish traditions.

This weeks’ Woo:   The junk science used by the police to detect lies.

Climate Crisis: Greenland’s ice sheet has melted beyond the point of no return.

False coronavirus information is killing people.

A beginner’s guide to debunking some religious arguments.

Evolution is extraordinarily creative during catastrophes.

Time is not just another dimension.

Free Junior Skeptic magazine on pandemics.

Asia Bibi on her new life in Canada.

Long Reads:  Christianity will have Power, promised Donald Trump. Election meddling: Reds, Lies and Videotape. Sexual and physical abuse covered-up by the Jesus Army. My midlife crisis as a Russian sailor.

This week I am reading this book: Leaving the Allah delusion behind.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  Bill Maher and the God is cancelled party. Gravity explained.

Have a great week everyone!

“Scientists do not join hands every Sunday and sing “Yes gravity is real! I know gravity is real! I will have faith! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!” If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about the concept.”

Dan Barker.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The belief that demons have sex with humans runs deep in Christian and Jewish traditions.

When I was suffering from depression in 1996, I used to “see” demons coming out of holes in the wall and “hear” them yelling at me that they “are going to take you back to hell with us”.  They were a lot like the classical medieval images of demons.  They didn’t try and have sex with me though, which isn’t surprising.

It seems that demons are a human archetype, for some reason.

PopeBeanie

It seems that demons are a human archetype, for some reason.

I think it comes from the same creative force that art comes from, and has the same kind of contagiousness. As for the origin of some hallucinations, I’ll bet that the accelerated evolution of human brains and culture had to also come with a few “flaws” that haven’t had time (and likely never will have time) to be filtered/baked out by plain-old natural selection. There’s probably a better word than “flaw”, but I’m thinking of all kinds of psychiatric/psychological woes that are not uncommon these days, among humans in particular.

Yeah, not “flaw”, but some other adjective or noun that describes an accidental (albeit an often beautiful) side-effect of rapid evolution. Personally, I have a tendency to hoard, especially when it comes to containers, and I have a pet theory that this kind of tendency must have been a benefit to us (even if only expressed in a few of us) at one time, when containers of all kinds were invented and crafted that helped us survive over relatively long periods of time. (Water and food containers would be an obvious example.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.