Sunday School

Sunday School August 6th 2017

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Simon Paynton Simon Paynton 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

The faces of theocrats tend to contort when handling unethical decision makers, some of whom license discrimination and some of whom are just plain dangerous.

What can history teach us about the denial of truth and are there reasons to remain optimistic? Sue them already!!

The Egyptian parliament’s religious committee does not consider atheism to be an official belief system which shows just how much they understand about their 866 atheists.

Catholics keep telling me that Pope Cuddles is doing his best to make amends for the sexual abuse of children and I keep telling them that we have not heard it all yet. Stories of the depravity of Catholic priests are still commonplace like this one from Guam and this vile one from Argentina. I suppose some Catholics will be more offended by this video by Louis CK instead (NSFW).

This weeks’ Woo: Chiropractic conference features the usual anti-vaccination ideology.

Climate Change: I have been reporting stories about climate change for over 4 years and they have tended to only become more pessimistic over that time.

An explanation of Scientific Theory (with further good links at the end). If only Christians applied the same standards to their “evidence” for Jesus when they start lecturing atheists about Evolution or Cosmology. A greater sense of rational doubt would help but does being less religious necessarily mean being more rational?

Here is why you thought you saw a ghost.

Does Science really say there is no purpose to life? The Universe does not care either way.

And 43 years later a Neutrino walks into an atom.

How to deal with Creationists like Mike Pence.

A brief history of the Voyager missions.

CRISPR has begun to play a major role in Human evolution.

Ten things we did not know last week. Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  Imagine a world without religion. For Ex-Muslims that world will be Awesome without Allah.

Have a great week everyone!!

But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose – which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn’t frighten me.

– Richard Feynman.

Profile photo of Strega
    Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Profile photo of _Robert_
    _Robert_
    Participant

RE:What can history teach us about the denial of truth…

Well Dwight Eisenhower warned us about the industrial military complex and Henry Wallace warned about how hate and fear have the power to unite us. Trump slowly isolates us from the world, hires generals to govern us, and privatizes our institutions so that policy debate becomes impossible… we are starting to look like a classical fascist nation. And the evangelical Christians can’t get enough of it, after-all, the best example of a fascist dictator is their god.

We will rise above this bullshit…eventually. Younger Americans….will wake up.

Profile photo of Belle Rose
    Belle Rose
    Participant

Thanks Reg! I don’t see the one you said..

My work here is done!!

the story linked under “rational doubt”. The voices we hear in our heads are “us”. There is no dualism. What you hear in your thought process is “you”. There is no outside agency sending you messages.

Belle Rose
    Participant

Okay but that still doesn’t explain what happened. How did I know both times that I was going to find first my biological parents and then my biological grandmother?

Profile photo of Strega
    Strega

Belle, that’s a hunch. What would be the purpose for a divine being to inform you that you were going to meet your biological relatives if you were going to meet them anyway?

Apparently we forget our hunches that don’t eventuate in a tangible way, and only recall those that had some kind of confirmation event soon after.

Belle Rose
    Participant

It’s not a hunch when you know something is going to happen and then it does. That is something else.

Profile photo of PopeBeanie
    PopeBeanie

How did I know both times that I was going to find first my biological parents and then my biological grandmother?

Because you really wanted to, and then it worked out even easier than you expected.

I think it’s cool to look for a reason why things happen as if they were destiny; my only question would be what makes you so sure it’s because of God in the Bible? Maybe you believe what you believe merely because you grew up as a Christian and not (say) a Muslim or Buddhist? Most humans on earth grow up believing what their cultures push.

I’m the soft atheist here, and don’t want to convince you either way, because it seems like you got your shit together pretty well, after surviving abuse. Actually, I’m technically an agnostic but I fly an atheist flag as push back against theists who push their beliefs onto other people. And you’re not one of them, which I truly appreciate!

Profile photo of Simon Paynton
    Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think all this “you’re just seeing patterns” is actually just seeing patterns.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.