Sunday School

Sunday School August 9th 2020

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

A new Pew Research survey on religious exemptions during the pandemic.

Atheist groups urge Congress not to misuse COVID cash to boost religious schools. President Trump is already helping the Dominionists to billions of dollars.

Playing electoral defense, Trump claims Biden opposes God. Apparently Democrats want Churches shutdown for good.

Jerry Falwell, Chief Liar for Jesus and son of the Moral Majority founder is taking a leave of absence, hopefully forever.

How the sound of religion has changed in the pandemic.

This weeks’ Woo:  I am renaming Zac Efron’s “Down to Earth” show to “Pie in the Sky”.

Climate Crisis: Bill Gates – COVID-19 is awful but Climate change could be worse.

How strong were ancient humans? The idea that we humans were created by a god is obsolete to all but the most deluded.

Carl Sagan on debunking Flat Earthers with a piece of cardboard.

A robotic Theory of Mind.

Long Reads:  The last of the Zoroastrians. Raven Leilani – Turning my back on the faith that saved me. Experts know that they don’t know everything. George Orwell and the struggle against inevitable bias.

This week I am reading this book: Twilight of Democracy.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  Ted Talk: 3 secrets of resilient people. How Evolution works. Bayesian Statistics with Hannah Fry.

Have a great week everyone!

“We, the people, far more alike than different, bring our many unique talents and skills together for the good of all. Tonight, I call for peace and understanding. Yes, I’m an atheist. I’m white. I’m a parent. I’m originally from Illinois. I’m a transgender woman. We are all different in many ways. If we have prejudged each other already upon these differences, I fear we have lost before we ever began. Instead, may we seek out that which we have in common, and recognize that much of what makes us different separately, makes us stronger together.”

Secular invocation given by Sarah Ray of the Atheist Community of Polk County to the City Commission.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Unseen
    Participant

Just so everyone knows, the kettle boiling link is a satire site with a general right-wing orientation.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

A robotic Theory of Mind.

This is a really interesting experiment to do with the objective reality (bird’s eye view) of a cooperative situation.  I think it applies as perspective-taking in a cooperative situation, but not when we’re trying to guess what someone is thinking.

Apparently it is very hard to ascertain someone else’s internal world.  Can we ever know what someone else is thinking or feeling?  Perhaps we can only know their goals, perceptions, and circumstances.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.