Sunday School

Sunday School July 7th 2019

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Orange County commissioners picked the right time to do the right thing but Christians in Fort Worth show very little love to their neighbors. Both stories show the involvement of religion in local politics but is that because so many people call politics a new religion? We need to see more people reclaiming religion from the Right.

How the Hobby Lobby ruling helped and hurt religious freedom.

In Britain Paul Lamb applies to High Court to change assisted dying law.

While Catholic schools are busy firing gay teachers Rhode Island publishes a list of 50 clergy accused of sexually abusing young children.

The deepening crisis within Evangelical Christianity.

This weeks’ Woo: Some medical “facts” debunked.

Climate Crisis:  It’s hot outside today.

The academic quarrel over Determinism.

David Hume, philosopher and infidel.

We are not just Stardust but also Big Bang ashes.

Ancient DNA sheds new light on the Philistines.

Why the ‘molecular scissors’ metaphor for understanding CRISPR is misleading.

If we genetically engineer future astronauts for space travel would they be able to keep track of time even if they got to Mars in 100 days?

What you see is what you get?

The science of influencing people: six ways to win an argument.

Long Read:  Politics and the fear of a black President.

This week I am reading this book: The Founding Myth: Why Christian Nationalism is Un-American.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  Hubble Legacy Field: One of the Most Important Images of All Time 4K. Aron Ra and Is Christianity Dangerous? (His opening presentation).

Have a great week everyone!!

When I was a kid I had an imaginary friend and I used to think that he went everywhere with me, and that I could talk to him and that he could hear me, and that he could grant me wishes and stuff. And then I grew up, and I stopped going to church.

Jimmy Carr.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

_Robert_
    Participant

I’d like to enjoy a beverage while listening to Aron Ra someday.

Did I ever tell my Aron Ra drinking story?

_Robert_
    Participant

I don’t recall..lets hear !

OK, pull up a stool and I will go to the bar…..back in a few minutes.

Atheist Ireland organize guest speaker events and Aron Ra came to Dublin again in March 2016 to give a talk in a city hotel. It was well attended and we went to the lobby bar after the talk as he wanted some real beer, namely cold pints of Guinness.

Some background: I had first met him when I was debating with Muslim apologist Hamza Tzortzis at the World Atheist Convention in Dublin back in 2011. I had accused him of attending so that he could promote himself by being recorded talking with Dawkins and other speakers and asked how Muslims would react if we atheists copied his behavior and went to Mecca to tell them they held the wrong beliefs during their Haj pilgrimage.  I had met him (Aron) a few more times after that.

I got him a pint of the dark stuff….and we immediately started talking about the dangers of teaching creationism in schools. He is dedicated to the cause when it comes to fighting against their claims. After a few pints he commented on my “evolution tattoo” and the conversation changed to a tattoo story sharing…as it does.

We had not noticed that the crowd in the lobby had grown considerably and consisted almost entirely of young women in evening wear drinking red wine. One barman looked like he was having a panic attack with their scramble for more wine. I just gave him a nod from 15 feet away and that was our next order sorted!

We started having a problem hearing ourselves talk and were surrounded by these “lovely ladies”. Turns out they were all going to see the singer Adele in a few hours’ time. Aron showed me a tattoo of a cows head on his leg. I asked him what it stood for. He, in his best booming Texan voice replied “Moooooooooooooooo”. Suddenly we plenty of room and our next 2 pints arrived from a grinning barman 🙂

_Robert_
    Participant

I can imagine that pretty easily, LOL. I am following his YT vlog battle with inmate number 445556 or something like that.

Pity Aron Ra did not get to debate Ken Ham instead of Bill Nye. You need to know the Bible myths and Science, not just Science, to debate a Creationist.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.