Griffin

  • Thanks, Reg!

  • Autumn pretty much sums it up. Switzerland has a very high number of guns (partly due to high level of reservist soldiers). And yet with their VERY reasonable controls:

    • background checks
    • mandatory training
    • gun safes
    • potential inspections
    • periodic target practice
    • mental health checks
    • licensing

    Avoidable gun related casualties are…[Read more]

  • D replied to the topic Don't believe your lying eyes (Enco) in the forum Politics 3 years ago

    Gun control advocates are hardly freaks. To support regulating extremely dangerous weapons is not freakish. It is utterly reasonable. I have lived in numerous countries where there are controls on guns. Surprise surprise, the number of accidents, avoidable last-minute suicides and gun homicides are extremely low. Keep in mind that all other forms…[Read more]

  • There is an incredible amount of reckless behaviour in the gay community. There is a very large number of men dealing with the severe pain of being bullied relentlessly when young, rejection from peers and family, physical harm, emotional harm, stigma, questioning who they are, the sometimes terror of coming out (or being outed) and as adults…[Read more]

  • Belle, there’s no scenario that ends up with you both kissing each other on the cheek and promising to write. You know this.

    You can never trust this woman again. Now that you have seen these aspects of her nature, you could never feel warm, safe and loved in a relationship with her.

    The safest route for you is to never meet or speak with her a…[Read more]

  • Thanks Reg! 🙂

  • D replied to the topic Victim’s Remorse? Or something else? in the forum Advice 3 years ago

    What Autumn said.

  • D replied to the topic Don't believe your lying eyes (Enco) in the forum Politics 3 years ago

    Good to see Reg that, at least in 2019, stabbing rates were fairly identical in the US and the UK. Gun homicides in the US were all, ON TOP of the equal level of stabbings in both countries. Huh. It’s almost as though, having an enormous pile of guns and very little regulation is, at the very least, problematic. Once again, glad I don’t live in a…[Read more]

  • D replied to the topic Don't believe your lying eyes (Enco) in the forum Politics 3 years ago

    I am gratified Enco you are somewhat capable of conceding a point. I don’t know Enco, I don’t know enough about US states to comment on any of this. I wouldn’t want to live in a place that doesn’t have gun control and I wouldn’t want to live in a place where the majority prefer it. It is entirely sensible to put reasonable controls on extremely…[Read more]

  • D replied to the topic Don't believe your lying eyes (Enco) in the forum Politics 3 years ago

    Then I guess I read Vermont’s laws incorrectly because it seems like they raised the age, required background checks beyond federal laws and enacted a whole slew of new laws on gun control Enco.

    https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/chapter/13/085

    Seems like a shit ton of gun control to me beyond federal legislation. What do I know…I’m not…[Read more]

  • D replied to the topic Don't believe your lying eyes (Enco) in the forum Politics 3 years ago

    Being able to “open carry” is small fish in terms of gun control. Vermont has numerous gun control laws include age restrictions, some licensing, background checks and ability to seize guns. People who advocate for gun control laws do not necessarily say all guns should be banned. It is simply putting reasonable limits on an extremely dangerous…[Read more]

  • Thanks, Reg 🙂

  • Laughs, you added that the owners flatulence acted in a Pavlovian way by training the horse to over-react and rear up at all similar sounds.

    I am sure an argument for proximate cause could be made for the supplier of whatever culinary delights the owner enjoyed despite knowing they caused him flatulence.

  • Or the car driver for not maintaining his car adequately, enabling it to backfire. The horse of course had input through it’s reaction which unseated the rider. The ambulance driver chose the hospital to which the rider was going. To a degree, he’s a link in the sequence chain. The hospital allowed the rider-patient to become infected – per…[Read more]

  • Proximate cause is the fulcrum of the insurance industry. One of the sample narratives which challenged the learner to pinpoint proximate cause, went something like this:-

    A car backfires

    A horse shies and tosses its rider

    The rider breaks a leg in the fall

    The ambulance takes the rider to hospital.

    The rider contracts a virus from another…[Read more]

  • No you cannot know what consequences are going to be. You can assume and/or predict but you cannot know. That is an essential motivation for taking deontological ethics seriously. You can very likely know the consequences of dropping a large object from a high distance. You cannot know the consequences of lying. There are simply too many unknowns.…[Read more]

  • I think that all moral systems deal with actions and consequences. Consequentialism (a highly problematic approach in my opinion) obviously deals with consequences more. I would not characterise deontological systems as focussing on one more than the other. It is a fairly unique system, quite different to the others in many aspects and it includes…[Read more]

  • Deontological ethical systems (especially some more modern versions of them) of which Kant’s ethical system is an example, is the strongest ethical system there is. While it is not always practical (and no one ever said it isn’t) it demonstrates quite clearly that moral laws are formulated for a reason and breaking them (even in anticipation of it…[Read more]

  • Jake, are you comparing being a Muslim with being a Pedophile?

  • I mean, burning nylon is problematic, unless you are really desperate for a cheap, toxic and short lived high. Though I would say paint thinner might work better?

  • Load More