Anyone here into cryptocurrency?

Homepage Forums Small Talk Anyone here into cryptocurrency?

This topic contains 102 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 5 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

. If the system collapses, what do you think gold will really be worth? (Source: Is gold worthless after an economic collapse?)

Gold has certainly withstood the test of time…From ancient Egypt to the Inca empire till today. Probably because it own unique property of resisting atrophy while everything else turns to shit. You can always get what you want or need with it, I am sure. Why do you think BC is supposedly  “mined”? To give it a sense of being legit like gold? Maybe BC will be around in 4,000 years too, LOL who knows? I am not big on gold right now just because it has been trading flat but I will invest in pretty much anything ethical that looks like it will net positive, including rental property….

Do you have a secure shelter and a gun?

Yeah, we live in a heavily forested estate with a spring-fed pond (full of fish). We don’t even have cable or city water..so we have dish antennas. I am not a prepper by any means but it is good to be aware of how fast shit can hit the fan and have some sort of resources.

_Robert_
    Participant

Only indirectly related, but this is how wild things have gotten. Have you heard about NFT’s? What’s An NFT? And Why Are People Paying Millions To Buy Them?

I thought blockchain would be more prevalent in protecting and distributing the arts by now.  For example I was looking into Imogen Heap’s “MYCELIA” for my band’s music years ago. Lots of technical and legal details to work out. Eventually it will get there.

Unseen
    Participant

@_Robert_:  Didn’t I ask, how do you use gold to buy a loaf of bread or any other small items with gold? Do you have like 1-gram gold coins in addition to gold dollars and bars?

Without a government establishing ownership of large expensive property (your home, for example), why would someone give up gold to buy it rather than just taking it? With a government, property like real estate, cars, etc., have a way of establishing ownership. So, why buy something when you can’t clearly own it? “We need your (house, car, garden, plow, horse) more than you do, so it’s ours now. Leave.”

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Unseen.

Davis

Unseen,

Everybody knows you threaten to clobber the head of a guy holding the bread with a hunk of gold if he doesn’t hand it over. It’s the most efficient way to acquire goods with precious metals.

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen, Everybody knows you threaten to clobber the head of a guy holding the bread with a hunk of gold if he doesn’t hand it over. It’s the most efficient way to acquire goods with precious metals.

You see some guy walking toward the farmers market and you think “I bet he’s carrying some gold.” LOL

_Robert_
    Participant

@_Robert_: Didn’t I ask, how do you use gold to buy a loaf of bread or any other small items with gold? Do you have like 1-gram gold coins in addition to gold dollars and bars? Without a government establishing ownership of large expensive property (your home, for example), why would someone give up gold to buy it rather than just taking it? With a government, property like real estate, cars, etc., have a way of establishing ownership. So, why buy something when you can’t clearly own it? “We need your (house, car, garden, plow, horse) more than you do, so it’s ours now. Leave.”

In a SHTF scenario the guy with the gold doesn’t buy a loaf of bread ( however you could chisel off “a piece of eight”, LOL). He buys the muscle, the whole bakery, whatever…and then he takes what He wants. You do know how the wealthy operate, right? They “killed it” during this pandemic. Govt just giving out free money to the major corporations; stocks to the moon. I made almost 6 figures (tax deferred) without getting off the couch.

Everyone knows someday when things go back to normal, gold will be the ticket. I actually know a very wealthy guy like that. Holds lots of gold, silver, 120 acres with crops, his own solar power and water systems, food stores and a heavily armed bunker. I don’t like talking to him often because he scares me to death. I’ll bet he enjoyed this pandemic.

Maybe bitcoin would survive such a scenario? Maybe it’s value would go through the roof? When it dips I will probably buy a little again. I think I was up around 150% when I sold it because until you actually sell…you have not made any US Dollars, LOL.

Unseen
    Participant

In a SHTF scenario the guy with the gold doesn’t buy a loaf of bread ( however you could chisel off “a piece of eight”, LOL). He buys the muscle, the whole bakery, whatever…and then he takes what He wants. You do know how the wealthy operate, right? They “killed it” during this pandemic. Govt just giving out free money to the major corporations; stocks to the moon. I made almost 6 figures (tax deferred) without getting off the couch.

Okay, so you own the bakery. Your customers will need smaller portions of gold to buy your bread. Unless, of course, you want to barter. But here you wanted to be in the baking biz but now you’re taking tomatoes, harly worn hiking boots, whatever, in exchange for bread. Or, they could knock you over the head and take over the bakery.

I just don’t think these hedges against SHTF working, gold or no gold.

Everyone knows someday when things go back to normal, gold will be the ticket. I actually know a very wealthy guy like that. Holds lots of gold, silver, 120 acres with crops, his own solar power and water systems, food stores and a heavily armed bunker. I don’t like talking to him often because he scares me to death. I’ll bet he enjoyed this pandemic.

Maybe bitcoin would survive such a scenario? Maybe it’s value would go through the roof? When it dips I will probably buy a little again. I think I was up around 150% when I sold it because until you actually sell…you have not made any US Dollars, LOL.

I don’t see gold or Bitcoin helping much in a SHTF scenario. Your bunker guy has an idea that might work for a while, but it also makes him a pretty lonely disconnected soul. Eventually, someone will come along and catch him momentarily off-guard. Then all of his goodies will be theirs.

_Robert_
    Participant

It’s really not that complicated. If you have physical gold you can preserve a percentage of your wealth when all else fails. Anyone who owned US stock certificates or had a bank account in 1932 or who owned Zimbabwe fiat in November 2008 (when inflation reached unheard-of levels of 79 billion percent) just walked away with little or nothing.

Your bunker guy has an idea that might work for a while, but it also makes him a pretty lonely disconnected soul. Eventually, someone will come along and catch him momentarily off-guard. Then all of his goodies will be theirs.

Well his home is a converted missile silo with thick steel doors that look like a bank vault’s. He would probably welcome intrusion attempts to stave off boredom after a while. He got a great deal on the place so he designed it to be very luxurious. Now his extended family lives there as well. We saw some pictures and my GF wanted me to look for one…not my thing.

https://www.realtor.com/news/unique-homes/underground-home-inside-kansas-missile-silo/

jakelafort
    Participant

Does a good bakery ever go out of business?

Store breads are usually mediocre or suck. Good bread is like gold. There is some nutritional alchemy for you.

There is a Jewish bakers in Dublin that is close to some of my clients. I never miss the opportunity to swap my scraps of paper for their gold. There is one in London very near to my apartment there and it opens at about 5:00 in the morning, the same time as the queue starts to form 🙂

Apparently the best bagels are now found on the West Coast and not in NYC!

The door on that nuclear bomb shelter will confound even the most determined Jehovah Witness.

Unseen
    Participant

Apparently the best bagels are now found on the West Coast and not in NYC!

Few things in life are more heavenly than a good bagel with a healthy “shmear” of cream cheese on it. And NOT toasted! Toasting a bagel is like ketchup on a hot dog: Not something a true bagel lover would want done.

Of course, my experience has been in Portland, not LA or Seattle, but it seems West Coasters don’t like dark crusty bagels like the ones made by the better Jewish bakeries back in Cleveland, where I grew up. Those are the bagels to which I compare bagels everywhere else. I call local bagels in Portland “take and bake bagels” because it looks like they need more oven time.

This is what I seed too much of:

when a good bagel looks like this:

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Unseen.

jakelafort
    Participant

That looks good Reg. It is not a traditional NY style bakery but so what? If they have holly and you have not tried it then give it a whirl.

NY really does have good bagels but maybe California has surpassed em.

jakelafort
    Participant

Unseen, i am with you on not toasting bagels. But if they’re stale i do toast em. I will add another don’t. Don’t mix jam and butter. Just don’t do it. It is an abomination. There is no topping that can compare to c c on a bagel. A good bakery has better c c than Philly or some store brand. Thoughts to nosh on…

_Robert_
    Participant

Don’t mix jam and butter. Just don’t do it. It is an abomination.

Agreed…Don’t do it.

We tried making bagels from scratch. They were more like pretzels. We have the sourdough thing down however. Our starter has reached its first birthday. Just gets better and better.

Davis

What is this barbarous nonsense about not mixing butter and jam?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.