Anyone here into cryptocurrency?

Homepage Forums Small Talk Anyone here into cryptocurrency?

This topic contains 102 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 5 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)
  • Author

Davis

I’ve used the Canadian, British, German, Belgian and Spanish medical systems (all universal health care). In two cases they were very serious problems with bills that came to well over 100,000 euros or dollars (I don’t know the total cost because they never told me…I just know it was a LOT). The services were top quality. I never paid a cent, received a bill, did paper work or had to make premiums of any kind. Some of these countries offer free dental care, physio therapy, psychologists, free wheelchairs, home nurses, unlimited sick leave and retrofitting your houses for medical/disability needs. Americans spend more on their medical insurance premiums per capita than we spend on our social security taxes everywhere else. We pay much less for much more (and no one is left to die from diabetes because they cannot afford a doctors visit or insulin). Americans who buy into the story that universal medicare is the boogeyman…have been brilliantly suckered. It is exceptionally sad and the whole phenomena is evil.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Davis.

jakelafort
    Participant

Ya see Enco?

These guys know of what they speak. They have lived it.

_Robert_
    Participant

My sweetheart’s parents are from Milan, Italy….we lookin into getting her a Euro passport. At least we have decent insurance at the moment.

The Italian health system has universal healthcare for all citizens too.  If you don’t make a fuss about having a sticky plaster pulled off you knee they will give you Gelato for being molto bene.

_Robert_
    Participant

I was a bit shocked at how good the gelato really is when I travelled to Italy. They say the same thing about a certain stout beer in Ireland.

Davis

There are many countries I visited where you could easily have the food, just as good in a decent restaurant in some other country. I found there were three big exceptions. Some Indian food was not the same anywhere else (especially street samosas and dhosas). The second was Italian (just about everything, but including gelatti, fried panzerotti, canolli and in fact anything from Sicily. The third is Belgium…I just never remotely had as good belgian style fries or waffles outside of the place (even by establishments run by Belgians elsewhere). There are even a few countries where I had even better food outside like Lebanese, Moroccan, Spanish and Polish food. Bizarre stuff. There are a couple countries where their food is extremely difficult to find outside and it just seems weird to ask yourself if it is “authentic”. This includes Canadian food and curiously Irish food.

I only have dhosas in this Indian food wholesaler and only once a year. They have a small restaurant inside and the food is cooked in front of you by some elderly Indian women. The drink is made from freshly squeezed sugar cane. Anything I have had since never comes close. To stay on topic, they don’t yet accept Ethereum.

Of course when I am in the west of Ireland I get my Thai food delivered by drone.

_Robert_
    Participant

I guess you don’t tip a delivery drone.

When trying to sample authentic pizza across Italy for my bitcoin, I had high hopes. I am forever jaded from living in New York but tasting Neapolitan pizza gives me a good baseline. Once one becomes a so-called ‘connoisseur’ of a specific dish, it is exciting to explore how it becomes regionalized (and of course the local water and soil matter.) While on holiday in a beautiful location and a few drinks in me, I’ll admit it is easy to let the moment enhance my experience.

Davis

Yeah Neapolitan pizza is pretty heavy with a strong sauce. My friend from there told me that a lot of Italians actually don’t like it. It’s fantastic but I actually preferred the pizza in Sicily (in fact with literally every single national dish I and my friend thought everything in Sicily was superior for some unknown reason. In fact it was my favourite trip amongst dozens to Italy (we get these 50 euro return flights from Spain). My god every day on that Island was pure pleasure (aesthetically, food wise, weather wise and its super affordable). Also the Sicilian guys are SMOKING HAWT!

Davis

Having said all of that, I do have to admit the New York/Boston/Chicago/Eastern-Canada version of Pizza (a totally utterly different dish in my opinion) is still not bad. There was something memorable about having one of those thick crust and a shit ton of cheese on top pizzas from a good pizza place. Zheesh two slices alone is an entire meal. I’d of course always prefer an Italian version but once in a while having a greasy enormous North East pizza with bacon and pepperoni is truly wonderful experience (something you cannot possibly find done well outside of North America).

Davis

LOL Reg. That sounds hilarious. I can imagine an old Madras granny making a high quality dhosa in Ireland and having it drone shipped to a rugged Irish island. That would pretty much define globalisation.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Davis.

Yeah, I heard a story about a family who came over from London so that they could “covid isolate” in a cottage on one of their parent’s small farm for the summer months. I know the area and it is an ideal isolation location at any time. They knew decent broadband was available so they could work remotely. They rang to say they were about 20 minutes away and as they had driven from London overnight, Grandad asked what they would like for dinner and gave them a few suggestions – “Thai, Indian, Italian….” He insisted that they had to order something as it was too late to cook.

They assumed he was going to order deliveries from a few businesses in the local town. As they drove up to the house a drone landed on the front lawn beside their car. “Ah, perfect timing, your food has arrived. I ordered some of those fancy cappuccinos for you too, said 77-year-old granddad. “I order one every morning for myself”.

They stared in disbelief. The children thought it was like the “War of the Worlds” movie with Tom Cruise, because of the noise and the lights. Most excellent!

It has been great for the elderly or high-risk people who can have all the prescriptions delivered without having to travel. Apparently even the pet dogs are used to them now.

Kristina
    Participant

A couple of restaurants in Vancouver have their Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana certification. I’ve been to one and the pizza was quite good, but my understanding is in order to retain their official recognition, they have to rely heavily on imported ingredients. Even with perfect preparation, it’s difficult to believe they could quite match the quality of those who can source fresher ingredients locally. Maybe the difference is only marginal, but I feel like there are other intangibles that just don’t quite cross over.

The best pizza I have ever eaten comes from a little pizzeria in backwoods Kentucky. It’s not the pizza itself, which was good, but likely wouldn’t win international fame or anything; it’s a set of conditions that add to the experience that I couldn’t possibly hope to replicate. It’s not just about emotional connection or nostalgia. I dunno; it’d take an essay to get at the heart of it. But it does make me think about how and why I enjoy food and dining experiences.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

What could possibly go wrong with leaded gasoline, selling booze and e-cigs to children or dumping toxins in the marsh just outside of town (like my own employer got caught doing).

No tears shed for removing Lead from gasoline.  The Anglo-American Common Law principle of Implied Warranty of Merchantability covers that and other dangerous substances that render people insane and violent and unable to live sovereign, independent lives.

And Implied Warranty of Merchantability covers all business equally and protects all purchasers equally, so it’s not a trick regulation from an administative bureaucracy.

By the bye, the world biggest Lead dispensers have never been called to account, namely government water utilities that use Lead piping, and government militaries with Lead syringes that fire at supersonic speeds.

The Roman elites thought they were the bee’s knees drinking from Lead pipes while their conquered peasants drank from rain-water cisterns.  Turns out the peasants had the better idea.

Drinking from Lead pipes prolly explained such psycho-case Emperors as Caligula, Nero, Elagabalus, Theodocius, Constantine, and all the rest until the Barbarians crashed the gate.

The people of Flint, Michigan still have this problem with Lead because civil-servant pensions broke the City and the City scrimpted on safety to get water from Detroit, another government-created dump in it’s own right.  Still, nowhere near enough government officials have been called to account or imprisoned for this.  Only one was convicted, Corinne Miller  and was sentenced a year of probation, 300 hours of community service, and fine of $1,200.   Some people get more punishment for parking on their own lawns.

And that paradigm of health Europe has had live Lead ammo left over in it’s water tables since The Peace of Westphalia.  What good is single-payer, Socialized health care if the rest of the country is toxic?

As for booze and e-cigs to children–usually dragging children and dumb animals into a debate is a dead-bang loser–but yes, little people who don’t yet have the power of rational consent shouldn’t have such things.

And it would be easier to keep children away from adult substances if people brainwashed by Critical Race Theory in government schools and colleges didn’t attack cashiers and businesses as “racist” simply for asking for an ID.

Finally, as for pollution in bodies of water, there’s this thing called The Tragedy of the Commons.  If no one owns something, everyone uses it and nobody cares for it.  If someone owns something, they have reason to care for it and the legal ability to exclude outsiders, including waste dumpers.  Therein lies the solution for pollution, as well as a good, profitable reason to develop cleaner technology.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.