Anyone here into cryptocurrency?

Homepage Forums Small Talk Anyone here into cryptocurrency?

This topic contains 102 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 5 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)
  • Author

Kristina
    Participant

What is this barbarous nonsense about not mixing butter and jam?

I think it’s from the director’s cut of Leviticus. To me, butter and jam is a natural combination, especially when crumpets enter the equation.

The stand against ketchup on hotdogs thing is weird to me too. Hotdogs are to sausage as ketchup is to condiments or velveeta is to cheese. (Maybe that last one was a little too far). When people take it a step further and insist that only mustard goes on hotdogs, I can’t figure out why you’d want to waste mustard like that, unless maybe they’re just talking about French’s yellow or something, in which case looking down on ketchup-eaters seems hypocritical. I mean, this is all pretty much the white-breadiest of food at that point.

Davis

Indeed Kristina. I don’t know any European country (the land of sausages) that look on their versions of sausage as any kind of high cuisine that must or must not be served in one way or another. In Spain we add sausage in tons of combinations (on bread with cheese, boiled in a pot with potatoes, meat and chickpeas, thrown on top of pizza), its some what similar in Italy, in parts of Scandanavia it is eaten just as it is with mustard (no bread), in Berlin it is extremely common to have it chopped up with fired potates with ketchup and tons of curry powder. I mean most of the sausage in Europe is meat and organs all mashed and stuffed into cleaned up intestine walls. Is this really the kind of “haute cuisine” where it is a barbarous faux pas to put ketchup on top?

jakelafort
    Participant

Yeah Robert i guess pho is like sourdough. It gets better and better as we get closer to our demise.

When butter meets jam worlds are colliding. Worlds that ought never be aware of one another. Make me emperor and i will impose dietary laws based on my sensibilities. This is no topic to take lightly. There are a grouping of man made mixes of meats and additives that are atrocious. Sausages, hot dogs, pepperoni. Just disgusting. The animals who are represented get their fair share of revenge in colon cancer and other fun ways to suffer. Velveeta and many other highly processed and disgusting comestibles will be outlawed.

Berlin it is extremely common to have it (sausage) chopped up with fired potates with ketchup and tons of curry powder.

Thanks Davis. Sunday lunch sorted!

Unseen
    Participant

Folks, folks, folks, there is no law against putting ketchup on a hot dog. It’s just that a well-made hot dog CRIES OUT for mustard, and no fancy mustard with a Frankish or Germanic name, but the common bright yellow kind. If you can’t taste the superiority of mustard over ketchup, I put it down to your untrained and insensitive palates.

Reg, bratwurst with ketchup and curry powder is classic and it’s the curry powder which is key, but a bratwurst is spiced differently than a hot dog (or Frankfurter, as they’d be called in Germany).

Unseen
    Participant

Back to the topic at hand. Not all cryptos are the same, and there are key differences between Bitcoin and Ethereum, the two leaders, such that Ethereum may end up being an actual currency while Bitcoin is more of an investment like a stock.

jakelafort
    Participant

Reg, i was gonna say sumpin bout islamaphobia. The ponies diverted my attention. But You nailed it. I say that cuz you said what i would have said. Ya can’t conflate individuals with the institution. I was reminded of the exchange between Ben something or other (famous actor) and Sam Harris on Maher’s show. Also was reminded of another neologism or phrase…missing link…that was coined to cast doubt where it oughn’t exist by anti-science scientists or was it creationists.

I think you are essentially correct in your first amendment assertion. It is tricky though. Courts strictly construe the standards that began with clear and present danger test in Ohio v Brandenburg and has gotten a few iterations since. So the danger isn’t present if it is not imminent. For instance some asshole writes and speaks about sand niggers and their mosques and Korans and it is either a general statement or directed at an individual. If it is a general statement like at a demonstration or on social media then that asshole is gonna have 1st amendment protection.

If it is an in your face encounter between racist asshole and innocuous Muslim then there are criminal laws involving harassment and intimidation that will withstand a 1st amendment challenge. We in America are so solicitous of the god given speech rights of the most vile and dangerous citizens.

Unseen
    Participant

Reg, i was gonna say sumpin bout islamaphobia. The ponies diverted my attention. But You nailed it. I say that cuz you said what i would have said. Ya can’t conflate individuals with the institution. I was reminded of the exchange between Ben something or other (famous actor) and Sam Harris on Maher’s show. Also was reminded of another neologism or phrase…missing link…that was coined to cast doubt where it oughn’t exist by anti-science scientists or was it creationists. I think you are essentially correct in your first amendment assertion. It is tricky though. Courts strictly construe the standards that began with clear and present danger test in Ohio v Brandenburg and has gotten a few iterations since. So the danger isn’t present if it is not imminent. For instance some asshole writes and speaks about sand niggers and their mosques and Korans and it is either a general statement or directed at an individual. If it is a general statement like at a demonstration or on social media then that asshole is gonna have 1st amendment protection. If it is an in your face encounter between racist asshole and innocuous Muslim then there are criminal laws involving harassment and intimidation that will withstand a 1st amendment challenge. We in America are so solicitous of the god given speech rights of the most vile and dangerous citizens.

Does this comment belong in this thread? It’s not about cryptocurrency or even hot dogs!

Unseen
    Participant

It’s a simple truth: Ketchup on ‘dogs is a kid thing.

Davis

Europe:

They add sun dried tomatoes into their pesto in Sicily? Interesting.

You make your béchamel with olive oil in Portugal? Curious.

The Spanish don’t put cherries in their Black Forrest Cake? What do they add?

You make your crepes with a 1-1-1 ratio of ingredients in Holland? Hmm

They distinguish Brussels Waffles or Liege Waffles in Belgium? Wow.

You add cabbage to your borscht in Belarus? I wonder what its like

You add a slightly higher portion of sugar to your chocolate mouse in Switzerland? Curious

You boil your spätzle for an extra minute in Austria? I’ll try it.

________

America:

You put vinegar tomato sauce on your processed meat in a casing on a bun? INFANTILE BARBARIANS!

Unseen
    Participant

You put vinegar tomato sauce on your processed meat in a casing on a bun? INFANTILE BARBARIANS!

SUGARY vinegar tomato sauce!

Kristina
    Participant

SUGARY vinegar tomato sauce!

Which makes sense since sugar is often used in both bun and hotdog wiener recipes. Granted, the hotdog itself is usually far more salty than sweet, but the bread tends to be on the sweet side.

Not having sugar in things seems unamerican to me.

Unseen
    Participant

Dirty Harry knows:

Chicago is to the hot dog as Vienna is to Wienerschnitzel and Bologna is to spaghetti Bolognese (Cornwall to corned beef?). Anyway, Chicago says “Our dog, our rules.” And it goes way beyond mustard vs. ketchup.

Davis

To corn just means to preserve (in a brine). It’s a form of curing. No relation to Cornwall or with actual corn. It is definitely not for everyone. Cornwall does have a nice food: the Cornish Pasty (similar to a Spanish or Latin-American empanada but I think better). If you see one in a bakery or hipster food truck…try it! Or make some at home.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Fellow Unbelievers,

Actually, Ketchup, combined with onions, a pound of lean ground round, and half a packet of French’s Chilli-O Seasoning make the best damn hot dog chilli I’ve ever tasted.  Combined with slaw and French’s Mustard, and a hot dog is complete.

My Grandmother always made hot dogs with that chilli and I carry the recipe with me to this day.  It’s also good by itself with saltine crackers or Pepperidge Farm Goldfish  It beats the Hell out of this canned Textured Vegetable Protein junk they serve up in too many amusement parks and games.   If Chi-Town has a problem with homemade chilli, oh well.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.