Are these the “birth pains” increasing with intensity?

Homepage Forums Theism Are these the “birth pains” increasing with intensity?

This topic contains 107 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  _Robert_ 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 108 total)
  • Author

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon, you are not equipped with the cerebral hardware to calculate and interpret prophecy. If you were you would see it as plainly as the nose on your face.

I posted this in reply to @Earle almost 2 years ago.

Followers of the Lord of the Light religion had it wrong for centuries. Melisandre had believed that Stannis Baratheon was to be their saviour, their Warrior of Light. The mistake that Melisandre made was that she did not appreciate that the original words of the prophecy she relied upon were written in High Valyrian and that the word “prince” was actually gender neutral. That might seem strange to us but back then it could mean “Prince” or “Princess”. I suppose it is a bit like the term “Mankind” means “all humans” but to a non-English speaker it could easily be taken to mean “all males”. This is why she went to find Jon Snow when she heard he had come back from the dead but also went to meet with Daenerys Targaryen after she gave birth to dragons.

I can appreciate the problem Melisandre had and she was using much more reliable source material, much of it original writing and written down immediately after the event rather than several years later like much of the Bible. As she was not a scholar of High Valyrian I would not have believed what she told me as she seemed to be “forcing” the prophecy to come true. She herself is reliably quoted as saying to Jon Snow that “The Lord let you come back for a reason. Stannis was not the Prince Who Was Promised, but someone has to be.”

That is my problem with it. Why does someone have to be? Because she desperately needs it to be true so as to continue to prop up her worldview? Maybe she just got so deep into her religion that everything she saw confirmed her biases about the prophecy. Maybe she thought her world would fall apart if she was wrong about her beliefs in ancient prophecies? Personally I would tend to listen to what Jon Snow has to say as everyone knows that he, Jon Snow, knows nothing.

jakelafort
    Participant

I like that last paragraph Reg.

I would truly prefer to discover that Michael is a troll. For me it is disturbing to appreciate just how overwhelmingly religion has hijacked his brain. We humans are amenable to manipulation of the most base and ill-conceived manner. It is as though a virus is in control. It is the more disconcerting if Michael is actually intelligent when it involves matters extraneous to prophecy/religion.

Bring on the AI…

I never mentioned where that prophecy was from. There are people on this site who may have no idea what I am talking about. Other will get it immediately but not really know (or care) that much about it. They know and enjoy the myth and have friends who have “gatherings” to discuss it and its importance in their lives. Then there are the “heretics” who are involved with only the Lord of the Rings. (Death to the blasphemers!) Then there are “atheists” who ask “You do know all of those books are fictional, right”? I mean we don’t for a second consider any of them to be in any way “real” no matter what meaning people find in them.

(Does my appeal to authority of having studied High Valerian makes it a genuine question though!!).

Valar morghulis.

_Robert_
    Participant

Funny, because we are on season 6.

michael17
    Participant
    The increase since 1980 exceeds population growth. And the number of 8 magnitude earthquakes unprecedented.

Population growth and increasing urbanization in earthquake-prone areas suggest that earthquake impacts on human populations will increase in the coming decades.

And? So what?

LOL 😉

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  michael17.

Davis
    Participant

And when John slayed the Queen it was certainly the will of God. She had brought the wrath of the evil deeds of man kind upon us. Each breath of fire from the dragon was like a meteorite that God had sent down to pulverize the sodomites and perverts in the city of sin. John’s act was both the revelation of God’s prophecy but at the same time a sacrifice that he made so that man kind could finally be free. He knew that he would be banished forever and yet knowing that humanity would be saved was worth the suffering. I truly do believe in John Snow. Because to believe in his sacrifice for us is to feel his love for the world. To deny it is to wish to cut oneself off from his selfless deed, to reject his love. I would say an eternity without feeling John Snow’s love in your heart would be like an eternity swimming in a volcano lava field. This is the truth. This is the word. Only a fool would deny the evidence that is all around us. The evidence that is written down in the yet to be completed saga.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Sorry, without being so abrupt, my point is that bad times have always been with us – just different ones.  We came through them all and regenerated.  We thought each one was the End Times, and it wasn’t.

michael17
    Participant

@davis,
    The producers exercised artistic license and   were not true to the book, but nonetheless I thought it ironic that “Daenerys Targaryen the  unburnt” would be killed by “Snow”.

_Robert_
    Participant

It is very clear that the cyclical rates of occurrences of geological events is lost on those whose brains are infested by religion such that a 40 year blip of a measurement becomes a prophesized reality. Its just the shallowest form of a fracking delusion.

michael17
    Participant

It is very clear that the cyclical rates of occurrences of geological events is lost on those whose brains are infested by religion such that a 40 year blip of a measurement becomes a prophesized reality. Its just the shallowest form of a fracking delusion.

Forty year cycle sounds comforting but in terms of magnitude it is undoubtedly increasing over time as recorded since 1500. The chart below is at the tail end yet illustrates this.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

But isn’t the point of the paper that people are moving nearer to earthquake zones, hence, people are being affected by earthquakes more.

michael17
    Participant

But isn’t the point of the paper that people are moving nearer to earthquake zones, hence, people are being affected by earthquakes more.

True but the 800 pound gorilla in the background is that the magnitude keeps increasing. We  recently had over 9.0 in magnitude.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

the magnitude keeps increasing

Look at Table 1: the magnitude stays more or less constant.

It’s true that in the decade 2000-2009, there was a sharp increase in total events.  But the sample size is three decades.

michael17
    Participant
      <li style=”list-style-type: none;”>
      <li class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>

Simon Paynton wrote:

the magnitude keeps increasing

Look at Table 1: the magnitude stays more or less constant. It’s true that in the decade 2000-2009, there was a sharp increase in total events. But the sample size is three decades.

Table 1 only takes you to 2012 but the graph I showed you is through 2015 . And it spans a longer period to allow you to see my point. Magnitude pegs at 9.4 , considerably higher than Table 1.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.