Godly Being

Homepage Forums Theism Godly Being

This topic contains 127 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 4 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)
  • Author

Davis
    Participant

You don’t need an alternative to religion. Religion is the problem. Get rid of the religion and you’ve removed a serious problem. If you need a false crutch to get through life then you have serious issues you need to deal with. Millions of people around the world live totally fine without it. If you live in a western developed country and have an existential crisis then go see a bloody cognitive therapist…not a bloody Bible study class.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think it’s a valid question.  I just came across this meme:  “Doomer”.  Who hasn’t been like this, or knows someone like this?

We all need things to sustain us.  What sustains me is researching about morality for my book, hoping it will get published, friends, family, getting high on weed and listening to questionable music, etc.  It’s not a trivial question.

Johan
    Participant

Okay, you guys keep reasoning with Johan. I learned my lesson with the prophecy guy.

Who is this “prophecy guy”? And what “lesson” did you get from him?

Buena fortuna, Johan.

Huh?

Johan
    Participant

Johan it is just jabberwocky talky..i am a junk talking junky

You are worth a lot. In your being. Don’t worry about mistakes you make. That you use to grow. What is important here above all else are we talking together. And accepting each other. As we say in Christianity. God died for the sins. Meaning they should not disturb Relationships.

Yes, but what sustains you, as an alternative to religion?

An alternative to religion? That does not make sense to me. Any sustenance to be given by religion is based upon the false promise of religion. It might help people to cope but only in the sense that opium does. Both keep reality at bay. Believing that you can communicate with the Creator of the Universe and living your life in the hope of becoming an immortal is intellectually embarrassing to me. Any problems in life need to be dealt with in the light of reality and should be reasoned through rather than prayed away. This takes effort but we get better at it the more we do this. It leads to maturity and in turn to a reserve of “capability within ourselves” in the form of experienced based wisdom. That way, we learn to deal with what life throws at us. We gain a level of independence and resilience that the religious never get. A better way of saying that is that we become aware that we can depend on ourselves. OK, no person is an island but when we reach out to our friends for help, we are not going to drag them down with us because our feet are on a solid foundation. This is because we have built it ourselves and not outsourced it to an imaginary being. Religious belief is based upon ancient superstitions. Giving it credence because it has been handed down is not good enough.

What is the alternative to carrying a dead weight upon your back? Get rid of it and you will learn to stand up straight. It does not need to be replaced.

Anyway, I could’ve had religion but my little baby wouldn’t let me pray.

Religion asked Atheism, Atheism, why do people love me, but hate you? Atheism responded, because you are a beautiful lie and I am a painful truth.

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon how is it a legitimate question when it assumes a fact not in evidence. Religion sustains us is hardly an established fact. In fact it is a great weight on so many whose lives are irreparably damaged and diminished. Many apostates report a great sense of freedom once the sword of religion is withdrawn.

Furthermore as i intended to demonstrate with wacky what sustains you questions, it is arbitrary. Food and shelter sustain us. Wacky, unconventional or idiosyncratic are not the stuff of sustenance of the masses.

Thus it is either a stupid question or a question lacking legitimacy.

jakelafort
    Participant

Johan, the prophecy guy goes by Michael. Or sumpin like that.

The lesson i learned is that it is absolutely impossible to reason with an individual who is either medically or functionally delusional. In matters not involving the delusion the individual may speak intelligently and or be amenable to reason and persuasion. However in matters involving the delusion….fuhgedddaboutit!

Davis
    Participant

Johann, do you need any help uploading that video or image evidnece?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Simon how is it a legitimate question when it assumes a fact not in evidence.

Wacky, unconventional or idiosyncratic are not the stuff of sustenance of the masses.

Religion appears to sustain some people, and royally fuck with the heads of others.

“Man cannot live by bread alone”, and it’s true, we need more than just the basics, although the basics are good too.  Even a turtle in a fish tank, without any toys, gets bored out of its mind.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think that to say that human beings only need the basics is to deny our spiritual needs, asking questions such as “where do I come from?”, “where am I going?”, “what is my purpose?”  etc.

Davis
    Participant

Simon, you don’t need religion to answer those question. You don’t need religion to fulfill emotional and “world view” needs. Nobody here is saying that living like empty robots is the way forward. It’s obvious that we need to fill our lives with meaning. Religion simply offers a toxic route to that meaning and comes with terrible unnecessary baggage and tons of misinformation and socially dangerous ideas/policies along with it. You do NOT need religion to be fulfilled. Millions of atheists pull it off every day.

Asking “where do I come from?” is a question that has a scientific answer. There is nothing “spiritual” about it. Neither is asking “where am I going?” or “what is my purpose?”. These are philosophical questions.   It is up to each of us to decide what our purpose for living is. This is determined (no freewill) by many factors and our choices are limited to our place of birth, upbringing, education, finances etc. Many are born and quickly die because they don’t even get bread while others live a contented 100 years.

Religion chains people’s minds to the spot. It molds them into subservience and keeps them from thinking freely. You can be an atheist or a theist. There is no middle ground. There is no compromise.  Religion has left no valuable inheritance for humanity.  There are those us that are shackled to religion and those of us who are so far removed from it that none of its superstitions pollute our minds. A much better world will exist when we are fully scrubbed clean of religious dogma.  Spirituality is a word that carries to much baggage. Feeling connected might be a better phrase. How do we know if we are connected? Finding a smile upon your face is a good place to start from.

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon i will grant you that sustain is ambiguous. Strictly speaking though it is survival needs only that we and other animals require to be sustained. If you are using the word more broadly, something like your now infamous thriving, then you are being contentious, tendentious and presumptuous.

The question you asked has an inescapable implication. It makes religion the default position. It posits religion as the paramount means of achieving sustenance. As an atheist i can recall occasions when i would be at somebody’s home for dinner and they would ask me to join them in saying grace. Vomit, puke! How dear you assume the rest of us humans are as vapid and mindless as you. Wish i had the balls to say that back then!

Johan
    Participant

No Johan, you did not.

Let us say it like this. i am busy doing it. But at this stage of doing it not much is on the table yet. But soon the table will be overflowing.

You used the Bible as evidence for your God. You cannot use the Bible to prove that God exists, anymore that I can use the book Dracula to prove Count Dracula exists.

I told you many times i am not doing that. But you stubbornly insist.

All the Bible does is presuppose his existence.

Nope. The Bible is His Revelation on who and what He is. How He Exists and what He does.

What evidence do you have that this God exists, without referencing the Bible.

I was born of Him. And thus I am the same. So i am not a human being anymore but a Godly Being. Meaning I don’t exist as human but as a God.

Johan
    Participant

Johan the fact that you exist is not evidence that you were born to a God (or created by one.

The fact that you are speaking to me now is no evidence. I agree.

The universe can easily exist without a God having anything to do with it, I would say that if anything, things are a whole lot less needlessly complicated without the God.

Only because you don’t believe that He has a hand in it.

I am not going anywhere to see you prove the existence of God. You can upload non-doctored videos or photos and show us your incredible evidence.

Ok. I have many. But I will just give you two for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.