Godly Being

Homepage Forums Theism Godly Being

This topic contains 127 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 4 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)
  • Author

jakelafort
    Participant

Okay, you guys keep reasoning with Johan. I learned my lesson with the prophecy guy.

Buena fortuna, Johan.

jakelafort
    Participant

Johan it is just jabberwocky talky..i am a junk talking junky

You’ve given no evidence that there is a God or that God created you. Please give that evidence.

Sure. I will do exactly this.

No Johan, you did not. You used the Bible as evidence for your God. You cannot use the Bible to prove that God exists, anymore that I can use the book Dracula to prove Count Dracula exists.

All the Bible does is presuppose his existence. What evidence do you have that this God exists, without referencing the Bible.

Davis
    Participant

Johan the fact that you exist is not evidence that you were born to a God (or created by one). The universe can easily exist without a God having anything to do with it, I would say that if anything, things are a whole lot less needlessly complicated without the God. I am not going anywhere to see you prove the existence of God. You can upload non-doctored videos or photos and show us your incredible evidence.

Davis
    Participant

They said the same about Jesus

You are Jesus?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I take Johan seriously in his assertion to have been “born again in God”, for all its florid celestial poetical abundance.  I think it can be summed up in the Trainspotting catch-phrase:  “choose life”.  This can be applicable to all of us.

Davis
    Participant

Jake you can choose life without God. In fact you only start living when it is most authentic and there is nothing authentic about a made-up Divine being in the sky.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Yes, but “God” can be a way of getting there, like the Buddhists’ finger pointing at the moon.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

There’s that song, Hope cos’ I’ve learned to cope.

Yes, but “God” can be a way of getting there, like the Buddhists’ finger pointing at the moon.

Just like followers of Count Dracula might as they bathe in the light of the moon.

Davis
    Participant

How can belief in an entirely fictional entity be a way of “getting” to an authentic life. That’s like saying sincere belief in Elvis still being alive is part of a process of getting to an authentic life. If you can arrive there without believing in fictional nonsense then belief in that fictional nonsense just delays the process and makes everything pointlessly confusing and ridiculous. God is a huge and intellectually costly barrier on your way there. Dispense with it. It is entirely unneccesary.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Does religion lead people off the track?  It does for some and not others.  Why, and in what ways?

There are huge logical holes in, for example, Christianity.  Jesus died for our sins, which means that all our sins can be forgiven by God, except that God doesn’t forgive all sins.  Oh yeah, it only works if you accept Jesus.  If you don’t, you hate Jesus and God.  If you do, you can do no wrong.

In real life, I think logical holes like this don’t matter to people’s actual behaviour.  But they matter to people’s intellectual understanding of why they do what they do.  I think they remain a puzzle – God works in mysterious ways – while the take-away message remains: 1) love and peace; 2) moral anger towards those who break the (often arbitrary and pointless) rules.

I think you’re partly right – it’s an intellectual barrier, and yet, also a guide.  A confusing guide that often doesn’t make sense.

What would people do as an alternative?  I still think there isn’t really an alternative which is as successful and as fully developed.  I think the message is simple: put the right conditions in place and we thrive like a flower in the garden.

There are huge logical holes in, for example, Christianity.

I agree. This is because it is not founded upon reality. The “god idea” might help them “get there” but “there” is a false utopia. I find that abhorrent to the human intellect. It is just not good enough. People would be much stronger if they were taught how to think for themselves using reason rather than accepting the inherited superstitions of their ancestors.

What would people do as an alternative?

Why do people need an alternative to reality? Carrying the dead weight of faith based ideologies around is not an alternative to mature intellectual thought. It is the opposite. It has no value except to those that use it to deceive those who have not discovered how to stand on their own two feet.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Yes, but what sustains you, as an alternative to religion?

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon, that is not a legit question. What sustains you as an alternative to seeking out the suicidal and encouraging those people to end it? What sustains you as an alternative to creating a mythology to ensnare the vulnerable and exploiting those unfortunates? What sustains you as an alternative to finding quick sand and seeing if you can drown yourself?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.