Is the US officially a fascist country yet?

Homepage Forums Politics Is the US officially a fascist country yet?

This topic contains 195 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 day, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 196 total)
  • Author

Ivy
    Participant

Yah but….Mitch McEnabler Has already said they’re not gonna do anything until January 19… They’re going to drag this into Biden’s term. And knowing the way Trump enabler’s go they’ll probably say that it’s just not worth it and this will be another slap on the wrist. I don’t think they’re going to actually get it through the Senate. And if they do, at what cost? I don’t know. If they had done their jobs the first time we would not be in this mess. They should’ve thrown him out the first time he was impeached but nobody had the spine. Except for Mitt Romney. He was the only one with a backbone to go against his party and vote to impeach him. Everyone else enabled this to continue. The sooner our country can move on from Donald Trump like a bad break up the better. I don’t think dragging it through the mud for weeks or months on end again is going to do a damn bit of good unless they actually DO it this time. But it makes me wonder will it fuel more riots? Will it prolong this horrible mess? Will it keep us from moving on? We personally I don’t want to hear the word Donald Trump ever again after January 20. Like waking up from a nightmare. But they’re going to drag this out and probably end up still doing nothing about it. They’re all a bunch of pansies and they need to be out of office.

Unseen
    Participant

Is it just me? Or is this whole impeachment thing too little too late… Just like their lousy $600 stimulus check. The damage has already been done. Donald impeachment 2.0 should have been done right the first time. Will there ever be any real accountability for ALL of the people who were complicit to his crimes? Sadly probably not.

What Kristina said.

In the debate yesterday, a lot of the GOP speakers tried to make the argument “What’s the rush (trying to get him impeached and removed before Inauguration Day)?” Some of them even repeated the “He’s learned his lesson” argument that’s been shown to be false over and over again. There is still time for him to do damage with outrageous pardons, for example. He could pardon all of his friends and he could try to pardon himself. He could pardon any of the insurrectionists who ran roughshod through the Capitol building. He walks around with the nuclear “football.” If he attempted to institute military law, while I doubt if it would work because every single member of The Joint Chiefs of Staff reminded everyone under them that they swore an oath not to a President but to The Constitution.

We Americans who are not among Trump’s walking deasdheads are counting the seconds until Trump is out of office and hopefully convicted in a newly Democratic Senate. But still, a 2/3 majority will be needed, so that is in doubt, not because the Republicans in the Senate love Trump, but because they fear him and his mob, especially since the incursion into the Capitol Building last Wednesday.

PopeBeanie

PopeBeanie, no dice on the psychotropics, at least not on their purity or quality.  Thanks to both the old Alcohol Prohibition and the U.S. “War On (Some) Drugs” and their implementation worldwide, psychotropics are underground and controlled by organized crime gangs, their quality and purity are iffy at best and overdoseing deadly at worst, conflicts between gangs over sales turf are settled not by Judge Wapner, but with gun battles in the streets (a health hazard by themselves,) and pharmaceutical companies are not free to research ways to kill pain without killing people.  Even where medicinal marijuana is starting to open up, it’s still not fast enough and government is still in the way of it is flourishing.

I was mostly serious about my use of psychotropics, having had very successful experience with the kind that’s given by prescription, having a generic brand name but still just as efficacious, and I had no reason or intent to make this a “major” issue, as seems to have been your habit as of late. You’re ranting, with blinders on. IMO, the only sentence worth its salt in relevance to this thread is the last sentence, and even there, the increasing acceptance in USA of medicinal marijuana encourages me.

Yes, it’s the feds slowing us down there, but surely you understand that anti-drug laws have traditionally been rooted in a population full of conservatism and other anti-progressive prudes who actually, strongly believe that progress in many areas of culture is “what’s wrong with America” these days. Note how recent conservative politics has become so Trump-cultish, openly hateful of and vindictive toward opposition, and too cowardly to criticize this authoritarianism-loving troll-in-chief in public. Dare I say “fascist-loving”, but I don’t want to give up hope on our pendulum swinging back to progressive politics and love of personal freedoms and tolerance of other human beings, yet. After all, progressives have been in the majority for several years now, only to get overridden (or “over-trodden”, imo) by electoral college representation and the Trumpian attitude that this majority can and should be ignored in all matters.

Kristina
    Participant

Yah but….Mitch McEnabler Has already said they’re not gonna do anything until January 19… They’re going to drag this into Biden’s term. And knowing the way Trump enabler’s go they’ll probably say that it’s just not worth it and this will be another slap on the wrist. I don’t think they’re going to actually get it through the Senate.

Isn’t that better? I don’t fully know how it works with federal elections and timelines, but wouldn’t that position them so that the Democrats are in control of the Senate? A 2/3rds majority may not be likely for a conviction, but I thought I read somewhere that a simple majority is enough to block him from running for office again.

Unseen
    Participant

Ivy, whatever happens, Trump is in very deep doo doo. He could very well end up in the New York prison system. Yes, it’s unlikely he’d end up in the general population. Probably something like solitary confinement with benefits, but the correction system does have an obligation to protect its inmates, and Trump would quickly be toast in the general population.

But, did you know that it’s legal for a prison inmate to run for President? Think on that.

Unseen
    Participant

This conservative pundit thinks Biden stands a good chance of becoming one of the most popular presidents in history, especially if the GOP’s internal schism doesn’t get healed. He could become the FDR of the 21st Century. And he can do it by being semi-progressive.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Unseen.

PopeBeanie

…but I thought I read somewhere that a simple majority is enough to block him from running for office again.

Yes, but unless I’m mistaken, blocking him from running again can happen only after he’s actually convicted. In any case, I’m personally ok with the impeachment even as just a tokenal message, and ok with delaying any senate trial until after the troll is inactivated on the 20th.

PopeBeanie

For some Christians, the Capitol riot doesn’t change the prophecy: Trump will be president

[WaPo story]

Excerpt:

Five years ago, a prophetess Dyrud follows said she’d gotten a message that Trump would be president and save Christian America. Trump would be “as fearless as a lion being robbed of its cubs” and cause the “tall and lofty mountains” of establishment types to fall, her prophecy went.
    And Dyrud, a 73-year-old missionary, saw her words come true. So last week, he brought his “Appeal to Heaven” flag from Fargo, N.D., to Washington, and marched with thousands of other Christians: Christians who, like him, believe another dimension — high above the news frenzy — is in charge, a supernatural one where God reigns, and where Trump has very clearly been prophesied to serve a second term.

Kristina
    Participant

…but I thought I read somewhere that a simple majority is enough to block him from running for office again.

Yes, but unless I’m mistaken, blocking him from running again can happen only after he’s actually convicted. In any case, I’m personally ok with the impeachment even as just a tokenal message, and ok with delaying any senate trial until after the troll is inactivated on the 20th.

That makes more sense, and I am confident you are correct, but it’s also less desirable, so for the time being, let’s just live like it’s false.

Kristina
    Participant

This conservative pundit thinks Biden stands a good chance of becoming one of the most popular presidents in history, especially if the GOP’s internal schism doesn’t get healed. He could become the FDR of the 21st Century. And he can do it by being semi-progressive.

Even intuitively, that feels quite plausible, and yet less than a half decade ago, it probably would have sounded borderline absurd.

I do wonder what will stick to Biden and Trump with regard to Covid. Strange to say, but when I think of 9-11, the attacks themselves are relatively minor in my memories; the main thing that comes up is the moment Bush was told. Stealing someone’s YouTube comment on that moment:

“America is under attack”

“Yeah but, I need to know what sound a cat makes”

Fair or not, that really is the impression it left, not just of that moment, but the whole two term presidency. I’ve almost forgotten how hated he was–how much I disdained him–and remember instead all the wonderful gaffes.

PopeBeanie

Here are two, particularly relevant audio segments on today’s NPR Morning Edition show:

The second one analogizes Trump’s lies to fascist lies in world history.

_Robert_
    Participant

Here are a couple, particularly relevant audio segments on today’s NPR’s Morning Edition show:

The second one analogizes Trump’s lies to fascist lies in world history.

It is easy for me to just say well look how stupid these believers in lies are. That is way too broad. The more realistic cause is that some sort of compartmentalization of their ability to rationalize things they are told. One can be an expert in one arena of cognition and a complete fool in another. If we had a population of “Renaissance people” we would not have all this bullshit. Does religion set the stage? Well yeah!

PopeBeanie

The more realistic cause is that some sort of compartmentalization of their ability to rationalize things they are told.

Makes sense, and makes me think of how inner/evolved, tribal tendencies likely nurture and communicate/spread those compartmentalizations. It’s the old Us vs Them theme as a quick justification to avoid the extra effort (and potential embarrassment in the group?) of critical thinking.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

PopeBeanie,

Yes, it’s the feds slowing us down there, but surely you understand that anti-drug laws have traditionally been rooted in a population full of conservatism and other anti-progressive prudes who actually, strongly believe that progress in many areas of culture is “what’s wrong with America” these days. Note how recent conservative politics has become so Trump-cultish, openly hateful of and vindictive toward opposition, and too cowardly to criticize this authoritarianism-loving troll-in-chief in public.

Actually, the original Alcohol Prohibitionism of the 18th Amendment and the enabling Volstead Act was supported by both Evangelical Protestant Fundamentalist Christians and the Paternalistic Suffragette Progressive Social Gospel Christians of the day.  There was considerable overlap between the two as well.

For example, Prohibitionist and Anti-Evolutionist William Jennings Brian also was famous for his sentiment against the Gold Standard for currency and in favor of the Progressive’s weaker Bimetalist Standard.  His speech for it famously railed: “You shall not crucify man on a cross of Gold.”

Many Statist Feminist Suffragettes also supported Prohibitionism because they mistakenly equated all alcohol use by men with domestic violence.  Also, I’m sure the “White Feather Movement” Feminists probably saw alcohol misuse by men as less preferable to using men as cannon fodder in World War I.

And of course, even after Alcohol Prohibition was repealed, the overlapping Prohibitions on opioids and marajuana continued under both “Conervative” and “Liberal” Administrations and will continue under Biden-Harris.

As for Trumpistas, my experiences with them is that they are not so much too cowardly to oppose him as too hypnotized.  They attribute our recent energy independence to Trump, even though fracking and new discoveries started years before.  And they think he wants to get us out of the Middle East, even though we’re still there and sent Saudi Arabia 3500 more troops.

I just give them an imaginary pat on the head, roll my eyes, and carry on.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 196 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.