Songs you think more people should hear

Homepage Forums Small Talk Songs you think more people should hear

This topic contains 114 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 115 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

And then Pink Floyd returned to Pompeii 45 years later. I spent 45 minutes of that time drinking vodka with Gilmour at the same table 🙂 <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/LTseTg48568?feature=oembed” width=”670″ height=”377″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Great story. I wish I coulda been there with you.

Here are two more by Pink Floyd that are among my own favorites. First, Sorrow (from the Pompei concert). It sounds to me like his guitar is detuned some because n his opening I’m hearing something lower than the normal low-E. Of course, effects pedals can produce a detuned tone as well. Who knows? Anyway, I love the growl he gets in the opening bars.

Next, learning to fly, the best song off my fave PF album, A Momentary Lapse of Reason (great title).

_Robert_
    Participant

To me, Waits seems like a pretentious hipster, most of his stuff never hooks me in enough for a second play. I tried to like his stuff, but I call bullshit, LOL

I stopped in at a local beach bar, early 90’s. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing while still in the parking lot. I walk in, place is only half full and there is this blonde-haired guy with a guitar on his lap. Holy crap, he was amazing.

I gig about once a week minimum, playing bass and keys in 4 bands. Sometimes I get to play bass with this drummer who can nail “good times, bad times” perfectly. Double kick drums with really fast pedals. He can kick like an MG42. However, in modern metal that machine kick has become commonplace, but not nearly as subtle or interesting as John Bonham IMHO.

_Robert_
    Participant

Her first listen to this Pink Floyd song….

Jody Lee
    Participant

Damn this busy week. I missed out on the good music. I’ll catch up today. But I am Patti Smith’d out, Reg. Lol My SO was on a kick all week.

Also, @robert I have also tried to get into Waits. Can’t do it. I just don’t  feel it, and FSM knows I feel every-fucking-thing. 😆

I used to know a Blues singer who had a T-shirt that read “Tom Waits for no man”. I do like his voice and I think some of his work is very original. If I had the blues he would not be my first port of call unless I could smell french cigarettes and whiskey in a dark back street bar.

I was a barkeep in a London music venue (Town and Country Club) when Gilmour arrived at the bar and ordered a vodka from me. There were live bands every night, mostly ones that were in the “Top 20” at the time. I got to see them all for free and sometimes we would end up in the green room afterwards for our own post work drinks. I worked a day job at the time and his nephew was on my team so I thought that was a good intro for me but we ended up taking about the advances in color printing for 30 minutes!! At least I got to talk about the cover of DSOTM.

When the Levee breaks is a great track. The musicianship cannot be faulted. I was listening to music with the TV sound turned off. The news was on and the song started the same time that New Orleans and Katrina made the news for the first time. Whenever I hear the track I think of it.

Jody Lee – don’t listen to this Patti Smith track when driving to work 🙂

About 30 years ago……

Hi guys, what did you all do last night??

Me: We stayed in, smoked some weed and listened to Floyd.

Seriously guys??

Me: Well we did have half an ounce of Durban Poison and a brand new NAD amplifier.  We had no choice but to get serious about it.  Do we look like amateurs to you 😉

This must have been great fun to participate in.

_Robert_
    Participant

This must have been great fun to participate in.

Technically, that making that video must have been a real challenge. A good sized mixing board!  Sound travels fairly slow and different frequency bands have different velocities; I wonder how the handled the different feedback delays. My guess is they were told to ignore their ears and watch their assigned metronome lights. The other issue is that bass frequencies are omni-directional while treble is focused. Sometimes when I play a big show, staying on track is difficult if the monitor mix is weak or drops out. All you hear is that bass rumble coming from the back of the sub woofers. Here I am on keyboards left side of the stage playing at a benefit for vets.

Nice one Robert. I did see a one hour documentary on how it was put together. It was well project managed. I will see if I can find it. Too complicated for me as I am a simple kind of man.  🙂

Unseen
    Participant

I used to know a Blues singer who had a T-shirt that read “Tom Waits for no man”. I do like his voice and I think some of his work is very original. If I had the blues he would not be my first port of call unless I could smell french cigarettes and whiskey in a dark back street bar. I was a barkeep in a London music venue (Town and Country Club) when Gilmour arrived at the bar and ordered a vodka from me. There were live bands every night, mostly ones that were in the “Top 20” at the time. I got to see them all for free and sometimes we would end up in the green room afterwards for our own post work drinks. I worked a day job at the time and his nephew was on my team so I thought that was a good intro for me but we ended up taking about the advances in color printing for 30 minutes!! At least I got to talk about the cover of DSOTM. When the Levee breaks is a great track. The musicianship cannot be faulted. I was listening to music with the TV sound turned off. The news was on and the song started the same time that New Orleans and Katrina made the news for the first time. Whenever I hear the track I think of it. Jody Lee – don’t listen to this Patti Smith track when driving to work 🙂

I did concert reviews for my college newspaper plus went to many a concert with my friends. I have seen The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and many other bands of that era live. It was a great period to have lived through, musically. However, the day I brought home a Paul Butterfield Blues Band album I was hooked on the blues, which became my main musical interest area for quite some time.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Unseen.

_Robert_
    Participant

I have heard Paul Butterfield recordings…never knew who it was. Very pure, simply great blues. Reg, dig that Texas slide, Ry Cooder. He did the soundtrack for “Southern Comfort”. There was some great Cajun music in that film. He also produced Buena Vista Social Club album, documenting a great generation of Cuban music.

Like everything about this tune:

I had forgotten “Southern Comfort” though I do remember one specific trap scene. Ouch! I stumbled upon Catfish Keith one Monday night in a small Irish town. He has some good stuff worth checking out.

I have the Lost and Found album by the BVSC. It gets a regular spin up.

Thanks for the Paul Butterfield links.  I had not known of them but they immediately sounded familiar and can move right into my house.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Here’s a forgotten classic:

PopeBeanie

To me, Waits seems like a pretentious hipster, most of his stuff never hooks me in enough for a second play. I tried to like his stuff, but I call bullshit, LOL

Now this is an interesting judgement. I never loved his music, but he certainly impressed me as original, and if anything, perhaps a lot of people who promoted him to fame were hipsters? In a sense, a lot of music is “pretentious” because it relies so heavily on riding on the popularity of previous music. What people buy is actually the most powerful force that determines which personalities get to rise to large attention and playing larger venues.

I avoided Led Zeppelin for years because they were so popular, and didn’t appreciate their monumental talent until realizing to take seriously how they built on the shoulders of American Blues music.

With that said, here is another favorite of mine who invented his own awesome way to cover some historic hits:

Jody Lee
    Participant

Going to change it up this Saturday morn with a little Radiohead.  Enjoy.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.