The case made for Christ

Homepage Forums Theism The case made for Christ

This topic contains 117 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  michael17 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 118 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

A lot of the stories about him ring true and aren’t the kind of thing that would be made up. A lot of them do sound made up.

You have incredibly low standards. If you are ever brought to trial, you should hope your jury and judge do more work than you. Same goes for any medical diagnosis you may receive.

PopeBeanie

Why do Christians believe that Jesus came back from the dead?  They seem so damn sure, and as far as we know, there are no accounts of this having been added later.

It makes me wonder if maybe there were two Virgin Mary’s (i.e. twin sisters) who got together with one guy (or twin guys) and produced two… no, I’m overthinking this, as there’d be two versions of the recombinant DNA… unless maybe God stepped in to force an identical DNA recombination. Too unlikely. Lemme start over…

More likely, Mary produced identical twins, Jesus One and Jesus Two, with one of them eventually nailed to the cross and the other making an appearance shortly after. Any written recordings or word of mouth (or long-con conspiracy) of the Jesus twins were probably just lost or tossed.

That’s my thinking outside the box (so to speak) speculation. With the added flavor of scientific possibilities that could have been easily overlooked, way back before editors stepped in to make adjustments to the story.

[Wow, everyone’s suddenly honking their horns around here. Did Trump just get infected, or something?]

A lot of the stories about him ring true…..

Simon they “ring true” because they are so familiar. You are so used to hearing them that they they have become part of your consciousness. But this is because the indoctrination never ceases. I don’t mean you in particular Simon. It is just these stories have seeped into our culture and have a certain iconography to them. Even many of our common phrases are from the KJV.  It is only when we understand how we look at the world and try to gain different viewpoints and insights about how we think that we can see this. Then the stories about him “ring false”.

Unseen
    Participant

There is this argument in Christian circles that says that Jesus was either a liar, a lunatic, or THE son of God. The idea is he has to be one of the three. Do you agree with this? If so, which one do you think he was and why?

There is another possibility, which is that there was no historical Jesus at all. There are historical references to a Christian movement, as I understand it, .but no direct historical references or records of Jesus as a person. A movement does not necessarily need a flesh and blood person/god, one example being the cult of Dionysus, of course.

Let’s suppose some people started believing that Paul Bunyan, lumberjack of legend,  was a real person sent from Heaven to redeem mankind and they started leaving behind documentary evidence of their existence (records showing that they rented meeting halls, that they got noise citations from police, etc.), would that prove Paul Bunyan’s existence? Of course not.

I assume Christianity started out as a cult based on a legend or fireside tale, itself based on speculation and wishful thinking. There is plenty of evidence for magical or mystery cults based on nonexistent deities, to wit.

michael17
    Participant

As the birth pains are increasing before my eyes in accordance to Christ’s words: pandemics, earthquakes and famines. I have no doubt that this the reverberation of the birth pain equivalent to the Spanish flu will increase in frequency and intensity in future and the Japanese murder hornet may be at the door to impact the bread basket of an already hungry America.

But in regard to “these signs will follow them that believe”: healing the sick, cleansing the leper and raising the dead. Parochial authorities from Rome and Constantinople have done a murderous job of killing his true followers that bore these signs and put in its place Isthar the Queen of heaven in the guise of Mary.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  michael17.

jakelafort
    Participant

Michael, you wrote…BEFORE MY EYES. Your eyes only? Are you a messiah or prophet?

michael17
    Participant
    jakelafort wrote:

Michael, you wrote…BEFORE MY EYES. Your eyes only? Are you a messiah or prophet?

I am described in the following:

Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near. -Rev. 1:3

michael17
    Participant
      <li style=”list-style-type: none;”>
      <li class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>

Unseen wrote:

There is this argument in Christian circles that says that Jesus was either a liar, a lunatic, or THE son of God. The idea is he has to be one of the three. Do you agree with this? If so, which one do you think he was and why?

There is another possibility, which is that there was no historical Jesus at all. There are historical references to a Christian movement, as I understand it, .but no direct historical references or records of Jesus as a person. A movement does not necessarily need a flesh and blood person/god, one example being the cult of Dionysus, of course. Let’s suppose some people started believing that Paul Bunyan, lumberjack of legend, was a real person sent from Heaven to redeem mankind and they started leaving behind documentary evidence of their existence (records showing that they rented meeting halls, that they got noise citations from police, etc.), would that prove Paul Bunyan’s existence? Of course not. I assume Christianity started out as a cult based on a legend or fireside tale, itself based on speculation and wishful thinking. There is plenty of evidence for magical or mystery cults based on nonexistent deities, to wit.

At least don’t not believe it because it involves the supernatural.  Scientific investigators were at Zeitoun Egypt when the Apparition of Mary (Ishtar) appeared for months and now at Skinwalker Ranch with 24 hour live cam on the History Channel site on the internet.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  michael17.

jakelafort
    Participant

So Michael, we are nearing end days? Do you have a date in mind? What will become of us heathens?

Nine years ago this month Christians became delirious in anticipation of the Rapture. I was so disappointed to find out the next day that they were still here. But at least I had some fun by getting several people to leave old jeans and t-shirts spread out around their neighborhoods and pretend some had just vanished.

michael17
    Participant
      <li class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>jakelafort wrote:

So Michael, we are nearing end days? Do you have a date in mind? What will become of us heathens?

The last days are defined by the sequence of events in the Book of the Revelation. Life has not been blown into the murderous Roman Empire and the Jews have not reconstructed the Temple, but shadows of the fulfillment of these things exist today, whereas, before the 20th century they did not.

For some reason the Islamic world was very receptive to the Zeitoun Apparition of Mary (Ishtar/ Astarte). It will take a delusion of greater magnitude for them to relinquish claims to the Temple site.

_Robert_
    Participant

…..for the time is near. -Rev. 1:3

FAIL.

For centuries christian fools, convinced of his coming during their lives, worshipped in vain and prayed to a myth just like all those before them. As their often short lives of hard labor afforded little time for education and reflection; it was expedient to allow themselves to be convinced by stories of cheap magic tricks. The remaining American right wing religious fools showed their true colors by aligning with a completely corrupt president in an effort to just keep the lies going.

I have great hope for our species as this is finally changing and all of the world’s many religions are slowly fading into history.

michael17
    Participant

…..for the time is near. -Rev. 1:3

FAIL. For centuries christian fools, convinced of his coming during their lives, worshipped in vain and prayed to a myth just like all those before them. As their often short lives of hard labor afforded little time for education and reflection; it was expedient to allow themselves to be convinced by stories of cheap magic tricks. The remaining American right wing religious fools showed their true colors by aligning with a completely corrupt president in an effort to just keep the lies going. I have great hope for our species as this is finally changing and all of the world’s many religions are slowly fading into history.

The Christian fool is one that espouses the beliefs and traditions of the parochial authorities of Rome and Constantinople and thus by association, partake of the blame for murdering the signs bearing followers of Christ that, healed the sick, cleansed the leper and raised the dead.

But the time will come when the two lamp stands and two olives trees, those with the spirit and power of Elijah and Moses shall commence the days of their prophecies, calling down plagues upon the earth until the beast that was and  is not, received the mortal wound and yet is, shall put them to death and their bodies shall lie in the city that is spiritually called Sodom-Egypt, where our Lord was nailed to a tree.

_Robert_
    Participant

The Christian fool is one that espouses the beliefs and traditions of the parochial authorities of Rome and Constantinople and thus by association, partake of the blame for murdering the signs bearing followers of Christ that, healed the sick, cleansed the leper and raised the dead.

Why would one need to cleanse the leper instead of healing them as with the sick- like we do today? I’ll tell you why; because the people that wrote that nonsense were still very ignorant.

michael17
    Participant

@robert.

You are not contending with a myth nor legend, but a living God. but your unbelief will spare you while there is life.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.