Sunday School

Sunday School 27th June 2021

This topic contains 42 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

As another mass grave is discovered in Canada, the Catholic Church considers preventing President Biden from eating the flesh of Jesus. It is also busy in Italy, defending its right to discriminate against the LGBT community.

Catholic Church response to sexual abuse must center on survivor well-being, not defensiveness.

Former megachurch pastor and presidential adviser is jailed for fraud.

A Christian organization which pushes misogynistic messages has registered as a charity.

In Australia, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster loses its bid for legal recognition as an incorporated entity.

Atheists sue over Mississippi’s license plates.

That’s Christianity for you: always winter but never Christmas.

World of Woo: A nice piece of satire that many in Quackademia will believe.

Environment: The world has a fifth ocean.

Why some biologists and ecologists think social media is a risk to humanity.

Learning about white privilege isn’t harmful to white working-class children – viewpoint.

A 146.000-year-old fossil might be one of our closest relatives.

Deleted gene sequences confirm coronavirus circulated before Wuhan seafood market.

A new paper claims to identify the cause of the Great Dying that happened nearly 252 million years ago.

Long Reads: Life in a Christian Cult.  COVID: The Lab Leak Theory doesn’t hold up.  There was once a man called Rousseau who wrote a book containing nothing but ideas.  The Neuroscience of Intellectual Openness.  Unsportsmanlike: The Right-Wing Attack on Transgender Women and Children.  Reality is not a string of 1’s and 0’s.

Book Review: The Constitution of Knowledge: A Defense of Truth.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Podcast: The genetic mistakes that could shape our future.

Coffee Break Video:  Sam Harris – Respecting Religious Beliefs. The Believing Brain: Evolution, Neuroscience, and the Spiritual Instinct.

Have a great week everyone!

Autumn
    Participant

There are lots more mass burial sites to be uncovered. If the government would have just provided funding for the search when asked over a decade ago—it was fairly small at 1.5 million CAD—we’d probably have recovered far more of the children who were killed. The government at the time could pawn it off as fiscal responsibility, but this is the same government leadership that spent over 21 million commemoration the 200th anniversary of 1812. It’s difficult to believe they weren’t just trying to undercut the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Less reconciling to do if there is less truth out there (seeing as monetary settlements were and are very likely).

In parliament, one of the opposition parties put forward a motion calling on the pope to apologize on behalf of the Catholic Church. A lone conservative opposed the motion forcing it to go to debate. That particular MP is a fuckhead of the highest order just in general. His other newsworthy stint lately has been supporting conversion therapy by stalling debate on C-6—legislation restricting conversion therapy and criminalizing conversion therapy on children or when coerced—almost guaranteeing the legislation will die on the order paper. Just a conservative fuck toy through and through, I guess.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Davis

Canadians have been living under the illusion that they are some beacon of tolerance, progress and that bigotry and inequality are something of the past. They have also had a very strong reputation abroad for some time. There may be a tiny sliver of truth to that as they are a relatively peaceful country compared with say, its neighbour or some European powers. And again, bigotry may be less overt than with their southern neighbour. But it is sort of like comparing a blowtorch red alert with a sunburnt red alert. Anti-immigrant racism is rampant, police brutality against minorities and indigenous people is highly under-reported, sexism is rampant in their military and first responders. The country is slightly ahead of the US in terms of recognising their horrid past with indigenous people but it’s simply the difference between the Canadian government making official apologises and setting up committees. The government still has made next to no action on bringing real equality to aboriginal people, the courts on a yearly basis keep allowing businesses to appropriate what little native land is left, build on top of ancient burial sites. And East coast fishermen burnt down a fish facility they though was controlled by indigenous people given a right to do modest fishing outside of season (even a tiny little privilege white Canadians wouldn’t allow them). Natives in the north can live in severe poverty and services aren’t adequately funded. The government makes no effort to strengthen laws which would make it harder for the court to ignore treaties and encroach on native traditional land and activities. The church gives out half-hearted apologies. Native people rarely fight dirty or get violent, the rare times they do the government responds with brutal force and Canadians support that. Canadians will have no choice but to reconcile with this past but I highly doubt, even with a so called “progressive” liberal government in power…that much meaningful change will happen. People want to go on thinking they live in a tolerant society but they will be indifferent to the government spending the cash necessary, saying the painful things they’d have to say and stopping businesses from taking things away from natives. It is unlikely they will make effort to really stop the police from discriminating against natives. I am fairly sure in a decade this will be forgotten on the international scene and Canada will still keep its undeserved reputation as a Nordic model of tolerance and equality.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Davis.

Davis

Extremely interesting article on social media. If I had my finger on the big red button that would make facebook and twitter (and more importantly comment sections) not just disappear now, but be gone from history and the future…I would push that button so fast and hard I think I would break it. I have personally witnessed the transition of Spanish and Belgian political discourse become aggressive and hostile and it was blatantly due to social media. Having worked with social media as well as have seen the severe impact it has on young people’s mental health, how toxic it is to democracy and an open society and how quickly brain viruses and seriously dangerous information spread (not to mention our loss of control over our data) and the political social bubbles it creates I sincerely believe with all my passion that:

The harms of social media completely and utterly outweigh the good.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Davis.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

That was a saddening and maddening story from Canada.  And the blame for that unspeakable atrocity belongs on the hands of the Roman Catholic Church and the Government of Canada and every person involved in those abuses and murders…not every Canadian who also had to pay taxes for such a Government or Church Establishment.

There are no statutes of limitations on murder with good reason.  If any of this happened within the memory of people living today, those responsible are still subject to being hunted down and brought to justice.  Please let it be so.

Stories like this, combined with the entire COVID-19 response, should stand as witness that brick-and-mortar brownstones that children are forced by law to attend for 8-12 years are not only unnecessary for learning, but can be positively detrimental to learning and life itself.  Force and mind are like oil and water.

Autumn
    Participant

That was a saddening and maddening story from Canada.  And the blame for that unspeakable atrocity belongs on the hands of the Roman Catholic Church and the Government of Canada and every person involved in those abuses and murders…not every Canadian who also had to pay taxes for such a Government or Church Establishment.

It’s a byproduct of how we live, even to this day. The indigenous peoples and nations are grossly misrepresented in a continuing narrative that they are these helpless primitives who can’t survive without our charity and guidance. In reality, we keep treating them callously and taking from their land even when it results in displacement, illness, and death. It’s not something you can easily understand at a glance, but it’s baked in a lot deeper than many people realize. And it’s not just the government or religion. It’s our culture itself.

There are no statutes of limitations on murder with good reason.  If any of this happened within the memory of people living today, those responsible are still subject to being hunted down and brought to justice.  Please let it be so.

While I agree murder is the right word to use to characterize these deaths, legally, murder is defined by the state, and the program was sanctioned by the state. So the likelihood of the state engaging in any prosecutions which might undermine the right of the state to govern is unlikely. This is a common theme when it comes to Indigenous rights. Canada will protect what it considered its national interest before it will provide real remedy. Reparations are one thing because that typically comes down to a monetary matter. But things like implementing UNDRIP properly are a long shot because it would potentially undermine our ability to do things like force energy projects through on First Nations and Inuit lands.

Stories like this, combined with the entire COVID-19 response, should stand as witness that brick-and-mortar brownstones that children are forced by law to attend for 8-12 years are not only unnecessary for learning, but can be positively detrimental to learning and life itself.  Force and mind are like oil and water.

The ‘school’ part wasn’t the problem. I did K-13 at public school in Ontario, and they managed to get me through my whole education without abducting me from my parents, forcibly eradicating my culture, indoctrinating me into a religion, raping me, physically abusing me, running scientific experiments on me, putting me into forced labour, denying me basic standards of care, or other wise killing me. I even learned to read and write along the way, which was nifty.

I will say that, yes, the education system needs substantial reforms, but that has little to do with this.

When it comes to the displacement of indigenous peoples I am reminded of the quote attributed to Desmond Tutu:

“When the missionaries came to Africa, they had the Bible and we had the land. They said ‘Let us pray.’ We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land.”

The mass graves of exploited children, both in Canada and in Ireland were dug and filled by the Catholic Church.

I am not a user of social media. I have no Instagram or Twitter account. I have a FB account which is only used to get interesting news and science stories that I have requested. I seldom engage in any commentary on it. I have specifically stated that I am an atheist and only interested in hearing from atheists. I do not want to be “friended” by anyone.

I have said that anyone attempting to befriend me is admitting to being an atheist and into hedonism and debauchery as “lifestyle choices”. Yet there is no end of “People I might know” who can all fuck off already.

I often see conspiracy debunking stories in the “mainstream media” that I have never heard about. E.G., a site like Snopes debunking idiotic COVID stories that I think nobody would or could believe. I hear of them long after most people do. They all originate on social media platforms. When people start telling me about what they just read on FB and I know it is a conspiracy, I tell them to stop talking to me and think about what they just said. There are some real idiots out there and FB is making them more stupid.

Autumn
    Participant

The mass graves of exploited children, both in Canada and in Ireland were dug and filled by the Catholic Church.

Because we’re so big on diversity, we let the protestants join in too. But to my understanding, the relevant denominations have admitted their wrong doing and apologized. The Catholic Church might be the remaining outlier.

When it comes to the displacement of indigenous peoples I am reminded of the quote attributed to Desmond Tutu:

“When the missionaries came to Africa, they had the Bible and we had the land. They said ‘Let us pray.’ We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land.”

That is extremely well put.

Autumn
    Participant

Unrelated to anything else, but I think a wasp just died from the heat on my balcony. It’s 40º right now. Supposed to go up to 44º tomorrow (110ºF?). It’s ten degrees hotter than the hottest day on record for over a century (with the possible exception of 2009, where it’s only nine degrees hotter).

Interesting opinion piece here* about how Catholic bishops are wrong about Biden and about abortion. It is written by a Catholic too.

*NYT article so might be behind a paywall.

110ºF – too much. Hit 104ºF (about 40ºC ) once in Malta and spent most of the week in an air conditioned bar. About 74ºF in Dublin today. I don’t want more than that.

Davis

I would utterly adore a day of 40º after experience weeks of Northern European grey skies and rain.

Having said that, the fact that the temperature is higher than ever recorded is not proof that CO2 emmissions are causing climate catastrophe. That is a marxist conspiracy designed to convince people to get microchip filled vaccinations against a hoax pandemic so that libtard governments can impose their rainbow agenda on a hardworking and family values society. Open your eyes people!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.